I'm desperate for help

• TMV World Legacy Member
12 hours ago, BrokeGuitarist said:

Hello guys, i made a quick  review on me singing playing gutiar.

I come to this coz i can't afford singing lessons..

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1pxiFwDnn3O

I just want to know what i need to improve..

Resonance

Pitch

Vowel
Etc..

I want you to be brutally honest to me..

To be brutally honest.....all of it. But that is not as bad as it seems. Even those you hear on the radio or on TV shows like the Voice work on their voice constantly. You sound good and can hold a pitch and melody over all.

Record your voice, if you sound off pitch you probably are. What we hear in our heads is not the same as what we hear on the recording. When you listen back to your singing after you record, pay attention to what sounds odd to you. Work on those things that sound odd. For the things that sound good pay attention to those also and think about the difference between what you were doing while singing that sounded good and bad.  It may even be that you were just more confident on the good parts.

Being confident and questioning whether you sound good or not makes a difference in the sound being produced. When confident you naturally take on a stronger more focused full sound and when not confident you end up with a week timid shaky small voice which just makes it harder to control. 

You also mentioned vowels. They make a difference also. If there is a pitch that you can sing on one song but not in another.....Pay attention to the Words in each song. Try using the Vowels that you COULD sing in place of the Vowels that you could not. Then try to sing the Problem Vowel with a portion of the Good vowel.  The most common example is on the word Free in "Star Spangled Banner". People end up singing "Fray" instead of "Free" because the EH vowel is easier to sing than the "i" or EE vowel. But if you think "EH" while singing EE you will get a Hybrid vowel that is a little of both. If that does not work, Think EE while singing EH........

Mostly it is the confidence thing. Singing bolder will help you sound better.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• TMV World Member
23 hours ago, MDEW said:

To be brutally honest.....all of it. But that is not as bad as it seems. Even those you hear on the radio or on TV shows like the Voice work on their voice constantly. You sound good and can hold a pitch and melody over all.

Record your voice, if you sound off pitch you probably are. What we hear in our heads is not the same as what we hear on the recording. When you listen back to your singing after you record, pay attention to what sounds odd to you. Work on those things that sound odd. For the things that sound good pay attention to those also and think about the difference between what you were doing while singing that sounded good and bad.  It may even be that you were just more confident on the good parts.

Being confident and questioning whether you sound good or not makes a difference in the sound being produced. When confident you naturally take on a stronger more focused full sound and when not confident you end up with a week timid shaky small voice which just makes it harder to control. 

You also mentioned vowels. They make a difference also. If there is a pitch that you can sing on one song but not in another.....Pay attention to the Words in each song. Try using the Vowels that you COULD sing in place of the Vowels that you could not. Then try to sing the Problem Vowel with a portion of the Good vowel.  The most common example is on the word Free in "Star Spangled Banner". People end up singing "Fray" instead of "Free" because the EH vowel is easier to sing than the "i" or EE vowel. But if you think "EH" while singing EE you will get a Hybrid vowel that is a little of both. If that does not work, Think EE while singing EH........

Mostly it is the confidence thing. Singing bolder will help you sound better.

Hello MDEW, thank you very much for being honest.

I also wonder if i am bass or baritone,  also do you have any exercise on the resonance or vowel?

I hear voices in the background. It may only be my (vivid) imagination, but you sound to me as if you don't want to attract too much attention to yourself. You sound as if you are singing to yourself.

If you are singing somewhere where you are not yet comfortable, I advise that it is an absolute MUST to find somewhere where you can relax. If you don't, you could end up training all kinds of inhibition and nervousness or tension into your voice.

15 hours ago, BrokeGuitarist said:

Hello MDEW, thank you very much for being honest.

I also wonder if i am bass or baritone,  also do you have any exercise on the resonance or vowel?

You are more likely a Tenor like 80% of the males in this world.Most of us think we are Baritones because we are more comfortable singing below F4 and we sound funny above that. But it is the Quality and strength in our voice below C3 That makes a Baritone or Bass.

15 hours ago, kickingtone said:

I hear voices in the background. It may only be my (vivid) imagination, but you sound to me as if you don't want to attract too much attention to yourself. You sound as if you are singing to yourself.

If you are singing somewhere where you are not yet comfortable, I advise that it is an absolute MUST to find somewhere where you can relax. If you don't, you could end up training all kinds of inhibition and nervousness or tension into your voice.

This mirrors what I was saying about Confidence. "Being confident and questioning whether you sound good or not makes a difference in the sound being produced. When confident you naturally take on a stronger more focused full sound and when not confident you end up with a week timid shaky small voice which just makes it harder to control."

The weak(yes, I wrote week before. so sue me....) Timid, shaky, small ,voice comes from not wanting people to hear an off pitch so you sing more quiet on those parts and mess yourself up. So, like Kickingtone said, practice somewhere where you can screw up without feeling self-conscious and let loose the singing god within. 

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• TMV World Member
On 11/17/2018 at 3:37 AM, kickingtone said:

Yes, i kinda shy singing because there is a lot of people outside.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:24 PM, MDEW said:

You are more likely a Tenor like 80% of the males in this world.Most of us think we are Baritones because we are more comfortable singing below F4 and we sound funny above that. But it is the Quality and strength in our voice below C3 That makes a Baritone or Bass.

This mirrors what I was saying about Confidence. "Being confident and questioning whether you sound good or not makes a difference in the sound being produced. When confident you naturally take on a stronger more focused full sound and when not confident you end up with a week timid shaky small voice which just makes it harder to control."

The weak(yes, I wrote week before. so sue me....) Timid, shaky, small ,voice comes from not wanting people to hear an off pitch so you sing more quiet on those parts and mess yourself up. So, like Kickingtone said, practice somewhere where you can screw up without feeling self-conscious and let loose the singing god within. 

Wow, thank you very much for the tip, i think i'm shy, yes i kinda stopping my full voice to come up because i don't want other people to hear me

• Review My Singing Membership

Firstly, I'm kind of a noob like you so what I'm about to say is no science, just my own experience. I think you have a nice sounding voice. But I think you need to open your mouth more. Like a lot more. I've been told the same thing. I used to sing in the office when I was alone. But you always have the risk of people walking by, so I sang just like you. Close into my phone, hunched up and really singing for myself and afraid. So what really helped me is singing in my car. I got in my car and sang during traffic jams or even at empty parking lots. Your car will be the private place where youcan  let loose and experiment with tips you find online. And dont forget to record yourself.

Lastly I started the TVS course. It has a lot of info, I cant say for sure how much it will improve me, bceause I just started. But at the very least it's very promising. Its on Udemy.com and its 10 bucks for a limited time.

Hope any of this helps!

• TMV World Member
On 11/19/2018 at 7:09 AM, Giovanni Djojowardi said:

Firstly, I'm kind of a noob like you so what I'm about to say is no science, just my own experience. I think you have a nice sounding voice. But I think you need to open your mouth more. Like a lot more. I've been told the same thing. I used to sing in the office when I was alone. But you always have the risk of people walking by, so I sang just like you. Close into my phone, hunched up and really singing for myself and afraid. So what really helped me is singing in my car. I got in my car and sang during traffic jams or even at empty parking lots. Your car will be the private place where youcan  let loose and experiment with tips you find online. And dont forget to record yourself.

Lastly I started the TVS course. It has a lot of info, I cant say for sure how much it will improve me, bceause I just started. But at the very least it's very promising. Its on Udemy.com and its 10 bucks for a limited time.

Hope any of this helps!

Wow man, we both noob, we should teach each other.. you hvae twitter or faecbook?