Aces High -by Snax

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hope you dig it. This song is one tough mother trucker!!!

Here's the full version... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/uorcvu.mp3

Here's a version with just my bare vocals too... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/5elypf.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Love the staccato bridgees (rolling, turning, diving) For the most part just the right amount of delay. If you come across a karaoke version of Hollowed be thy Name, let me know - I wanna detune it to d flat and give it a shot.

Now about your voice, jesus what can I say. . . You have one of the awesomest fullest voices around - and your high notes are crazy spot on. I wish I had your range... Another amazing performance. What recording program do you use?

www.drop-head.com

First off let me say a sincere thank you for your kind words. Boy, you sure made up for a shitty day right there! I use Logic Pro 9 software on a Macbook 13". I want to get a new 27" Imac REALLY badly!

I haven't really been keeping up with my vocal exercises to be honest but i do try not to push too hard like I used to do. When I sing the higher notes it feels like I'm holding my breath and just barely allowing enough airflow to get the sound out. I do that consciously at first but after a few takes it becomes natural.

Honestly, the BEST thing I ever did for my voice was to have my enormous tonsils removed at 40 years old. Since they came out, my voice has just improved and improved. Maybe it could hurt some voices but for me it was like getting a whole new instrument to play with!!! I'm still learning what my limitations are and loving every minute of it. :)

"GIDDYUP!"

This song is really tougher than most people think - the melody in the verses, the way it has to be sung... it's just calls for pushing and straining!

And Mike, you nailed it... amazing singing man... and those high bits are just sweeeet!

Your singing is an inspiration to me,

Thanos

Snax, got a song for ya to cover. It's called "Wasted Time" by Skid Row. If you want, I have the karaoke MP3. I can only get through about 1/3 of it. As a matter of fact, I have thousands of karaoke MP3 files if anyone wants me to see I have have something, let me know.

www.drop-head.com

Damn dude you are a total inspiration !!!

Ive got a long time before ever attempting this

i was also very impressed with your Righteous brothers cover.

Incredible Voice.....

i have you up there with guys like Dickinson & Halford....and im not just blowing wind up your ass lol

www.soundclick.com/chavie

Wow, Snax!

Very impressive, this is how you do it. Cool growl in the beginning of the chorus. I hope i one day can come close to your version. Your mixing sounds great too. How did u mix it. Compression, delay and so forth.

Thanks so much everyone! Keith, I'd love to get my hands on the karaoke version of Wasted time. I was a big Skid row fan back in the day. I do find Sebastian's voice VERY hard to emulate though. He uses a lot of throaty grit that might cause permanent damage if not done with care.

I found the second parts of the verses in Aces High pretty easy like where I sing "Bandits at 8:00 move in behind us...". Now, that part of the song used to literally be impossible for me back when i was gigging with my band due to those damned tonsils. I can only imagine where my voice might be today had I known about them back then and had them removed sooner. Adding grit to those notes however would be tricky so I just sing them clean. It feels like a different vocal coordination but i have no idea if it is curbing,edge yada yada. lol

Olem, thanks for your kind words also. When it comes to mixing my vocals, there's so much going on that I can't even begin to explain it in this thread. Mixing and using various plugins is an art form unto itself! I almost enjoy the mixing as much as the singing these days. Of course, there's no audience in my little room where i do my singing. ;)

"GIDDYUP!"

Snax, email me at keith_goehner@yahoo.com and I'll send you a copy.

Email sent!. I'm especially interested in anything by Judas Priest if you can hook me up!!!

"GIDDYUP!"

I'm going to attempt to embed an image of before and after my tonsillectomy so you can see just how little space there was in my throat! It's a wonder I could breathe let a lone sing for as many years as I managed!

"GIDDYUP!"

Every thing went really well actually! Other than when the scab came off during my sleep and I nearly drowned on my own blood. I had my adenoids out at the same time and then a month or so later i went back in and had a deviated septum corrected. I literally feel like I got a voice transplant! I just love going for a note and actually reaching it instead of straining away and feeling pain.

"GIDDYUP!"

Oh, it still requires effort believe me!!! Making something "sound" easy and having it actually BE easy are two different things! ;)

"GIDDYUP!"

Absolutely awesome job Snax! I could listen to this all day! Wish I could sing it, for now I'll just have to live vicariously through you!

Hey guys, I decided to mix a version that has the music fade away when I begin to sing and only shows my dry vocals with no reverb or delays etc. There's still other fx like compression, some de-essing etc but for the most part it's just my voice.

Hope that this will better show what's going on vocally and you will definitely hear some pitch issues here and there! :P

I brought the music back in for the solo between verses so you wouldn't have to wait with silence till I started to sing again. Here's the dry version.... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/5elypf.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Interesting to hear your voice naked, Mike. It doesn´t change anything, your voice still sounds like a killer of course. One thing that came to mind when i heared this version is how well you articulate, your consonants are so clear, you don´t cheat with your consonants. It´s very easy to just focus on the vowels since they are the core in singing, but your pronounciation is crystal clear all the way through. Awesome!

Archived