Mad world by Adam Lambert

• TMV World Legacy Member

What do you think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8384032/2012/9.6%20Mad%20World%20w%3A%20reverb%20eq4.mp3

I'm working my butt off to strenghten my headvoice to get that low connection and head-dominant, yet full and balanced sound that Adam Lambert has. My top note sounds super wimpy imo, but I hope the swelling exercises will do their trick in time... Actually I think the whole thing sounds weak, wimpy and unprofessional, but it's all head dominated even on the low notes, which I haven't been able to do before.

By the way I tried to record the Don't stop believing that I had last time and it was a disaster. Gonna get back to it in some other lifetime lol.

What do you think?

I think that was very good. The good news is you've got balanced sound, there is not too much heady tone.

Take under consideration that Adam's live version is breathy, uncontrolled in some places, just like your try here.

My advise: more relax and you will be there.

My singing -----> http://soundcloud.com/richardstomach

Nice control and expression. Good phrasing. Yes it is a little heady and lighter, but I think if you keep strengthening it and working at it, it will get thicker. It doesn't sound like falsetto. How does this compare with your chest voice? That kind of lighter head voice isn't easy so it is a good accomplishment.

• Administrator

Nice voice... you need more musculature in those head tones... more twang, more tongue leveraging and a dampened larynx... if you don't do that, your phonations will sound either windy or quacky.

I don't get the connection to Adam Lambert? He didn't write this song or perform it did he?

What do you think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8384032/2012/9.6%20Mad%20World%20w%3A%20reverb%20eq4.mp3

I'm working my butt off to strenghten my headvoice to get that low connection and head-dominant, yet full and balanced sound that Adam Lambert has. My top note sounds super wimpy imo, but I hope the swelling exercises will do their trick in time... Actually I think the whole thing sounds weak, wimpy and unprofessional, but it's all head dominated even on the low notes, which I haven't been able to do before.

By the way I tried to record the Don't stop believing that I had last time and it was a disaster. Gonna get back to it in some other lifetime lol.

Great job you have very good closure and great vibrato which shows that technique and relaxation is present.

My only comment would be agreeing with what the other guys have stated. You are very comfortable using that light head voice, but I would like you to turn up the intensity and progressively add more fold mass. You didn't work your ass off making your head voice stronger to settle for a light head voice you worked your ass off to strengthen your voice and sound just as powerful as Adam Lambert does.

My advice would be to slowly increase the dynamic levels of this song by using a progressively larger amount of fold mass. The only way you will be able to do this is by training at this level.

I say train this song at a higher intensity level, but not so much intensity that you lose the purity of your sound. As you realize you can train at a higher intensity level you can progressively increase the intensity.

Practice and report back in a week...Don't forget their are many great voice teachers on this site and the owner is one of them...Good Luck!

"verum ipsum factum"

Thanks for the feedback and tips! This was done so light because I wanted to make sure that the head musculature stays beneath the tone even if I add intensity, so I don't "flip" into chest voice musculature. People usually worry about flipping into falsetto / headvoice, I worry the opposite :D

Well there wasn't much intensity this time, but I will work on it, hopefully I will be able to post something soon with a bit of development. I aim for a more developed headvoice and mix with this.

I tried it again today but there wasn't much improvement. So instead I did "Ring of fire" and it turned out alright I think, considering it was a spontaneous and partly improvised take. I sang it with a constant "squeeze" or "cry".

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8384032/2012/19.6%20Ring%20of%20fire.mp3

Thanks for the feedback and tips! This was done so light because I wanted to make sure that the head musculature stays beneath the tone even if I add intensity, so I don't "flip" into chest voice musculature. People usually worry about flipping into falsetto / headvoice, I worry the opposite :D

Well there wasn't much intensity this time, but I will work on it, hopefully I will be able to post something soon with a bit of development. I aim for a more developed headvoice and mix with this.

There should be no flipping, but you shouldn't be actively trying to stay in head voice. Adam Lambert did not sing this song in pure head voice he did it in a mixed voice. The key is to never lose that connection with your chest voice.

Descending and ascending slides help this best. You shouldn't be trying to sing a song that you are not ready to sing. Practice and work on technique don't worry about songs right now.

"verum ipsum factum"

Nicely done man! Good tone. I've been working on this exact thing, shading between a light head voice and gradually adding 'weight', it's pretty hard stuff!

Opaa - nice work! The thing that you're missing for a near-perfect sound is a slightly more "dopyness" to your sound, IMO. Don't overdo it, though. Good luck! :)