Flight of Icarus

• TMV World Legacy Member

First off, I'd like to apologise (again), and even though my intentions wasn't even close to what it may have been interpreted as, I understand that this whole thread may leave a rather bad taste in your mouth after my behaviour.

However, this is NOT a show off thread. Granted I found joy in doing it, but if no one had asked for it, I would never had posted it like this.

Now to the actual topic! :)

I rushed (i.e didn't practice a note before the actual recording) the latter part of the chorus, because I wanted to try the ending.

I've heard Flight of icarus many times, but never actually sing it. That's why it may sound a little bit too uninspired and bad at that passage. Haha!

I failed a bit at the end with the scream; didn't place the note in my sweet spot (but a little more volume in your headphones will address that. Haha), but it was one of those "one shot only" because I was close to pass out after that one. Still rather shaky in my knees :D

I've also used a layered scream just to create a cool effect, but I did place that scream after the song so you can hear that one better (I managed to place it right, so that sounds kind of good)

Anyway, I'm rambling because I'm self-conscious. Haha!

Here you go: http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/1171690/file.html

Also, feel free to link your own try! Getting different singers to display their take on the same song is great fun!

Enander, you have a really cool voice, and you have absolutely no reason to apologize. If I'm being tough on you, I think that you could benefit from some more dynamics in there, soften it up here and there so that your ultra heavy notes don't lose impact. Your screams are insane, I wish I had those notes.

Just so you know I am taking this as a challenge and I am looking forward to kicking you so hard in the balls, vocally speaking, that you can't stand up straight for a week.

Max x

Enander, Wow dude, that was sick. Loved it. I love hearing all of the vocalist on this forum "show off', just not at the expense of someone else. I think that is all that was being said. There, done.

Thank you! Yeah, just that I was caught a little bit off guard by the whole thing :)

Enander, you have a really cool voice, and you have absolutely no reason to apologize. If I'm being tough on you, I think that you could benefit from some more dynamics in there, soften it up here and there so that your ultra heavy notes don't lose impact. Your screams are insane, I wish I had those notes.

Just so you know I am taking this as a challenge and I am looking forward to kicking you so hard in the balls, vocally speaking, that you can't stand up straight for a week.

Max x

Hahahaha!! Can't wait! :D

I like you Max, and I appreciate your "toughness" because I badly need it.

Besides intonation, dynamics is my greatest weakness (whereas your dynamics is something I found very enjoyable in your version). Problem is I was born with the ugliest voice known to man, so I feel I can't make it sound good without distortion. Haha! I'm thinking I could get away with it by applying a more airy timbre to loosen up the weight though, so that's on the agenda next time.

Thanks!

Incredible. You have such a heavy sound. I think you took the song in a different direction with those "screams." So, it would be cool to hear a full version, if you can find the time.

Cool as hell but back off on the grit as frequently.

Can you sing something cleaner? You probably hate your tone because you don't hear it enough. Everyone's like that at first if they ain't a narcissist.

I don't know what to say :D Wow!

Well, it's not my type of music or singing preference, but that has nothing to do with the fact that you can do that and do it well. The ending was wild...higher...and higher....and higher again!!!

More power to ya, bro!

I would agree with others who has said if you could also learn to clean up your voice (sing clean) and mellow out at some points adding texture I think it would really highlight your power. Well, maybe learn was a bad choice of words...maybe you already know how but choose not to. :)

I have no words.

Haha! I guess that's a good thing, but I'm not entirely sure :P

Incredible. You have such a heavy sound. I think you took the song in a different direction with those "screams." So, it would be cool to hear a full version, if you can find the time.

Thank you very much! :) I know you will understand me when I say I picture myself dwelling in the deepest, most eerie catacombs where my words are incantations. Haha! Mental context is crucial, which I actually picked up from something you wrote some time ago.

Regarding full songs, I just can't bring myself to do it. Frankly, I get bored. That's possibly a greater problem for me than I let myself to believe...

Cool as hell but back off on the grit as frequently.

Can you sing something cleaner? You probably hate your tone because you don't hear it enough. Everyone's like that at first if they ain't a narcissist.

Thanks for the compliment as well as your critique! :)

I've listened to the clip quite meticulously, but I can't help but feeling I let off the grit from time to time.

But, it may be that you're referring to my dissonant distortion, and yeah, I can totally affirm that it's too much to use this frequently!

You asked if I could sing something cleaner, and this: https://www.box.com/s/f458fc6bedc451547dba is something I did one time when I went out to sing but hurt myself. I felt I had to do something so I tried recording myself singing clean.

I don't know what to say :D Wow!

Well, it's not my type of music or singing preference, but that has nothing to do with the fact that you can do that and do it well. The ending was wild...higher...and higher....and higher again!!!

More power to ya, bro!

I would agree with others who has said if you could also learn to clean up your voice (sing clean) and mellow out at some points adding texture I think it would really highlight your power. Well, maybe learn was a bad choice of words...maybe you already know how but choose not to. :)

Haha! Thanks, Tommy! :D I was trying to achieve an analogy to the mythological Icarus story; he flew higher and higher, until he flew too high and went down to the abyss with a shriek of agony!

All in all, I will take your advice/critique to heart, and try harder to:

1. Use my dissonant distortion less frequently

2. Try to incorporate even cleaner phrases

• 1 month later...

Very nice gritty voice here. I wish i had that rasp. Yeah, it´s a little showing off and a little bit "too much", hehe, but i understand your intention here, i think, to show many different sides of your voice, i have seen you doing this before in another thread. Your voice is fantastic and i would like to hear you in a full song where you are highly motivated, i think that would be something extra.