I don't have experience? Can I sing?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Lokalamuka,

I am no way an expert, but I do hear potential in your voice. Sounds like you are young as well, so its most definitely the time to start vocal training. I am sure you will hear a way more professional review from the other guys on the forum.

Good luck!

VA

"Like stars across the sky, we were born to shine!"

I don't think there is much more to say than what voc-al has already said. "Potential." Your voice sounds on pitch enough and pleasant enough so yes, you have the potential to sing well. You don't sound bad but there is a difference between having people say "that was ok" and actually "singing." There are techniques to be learned and many little things to do with ones voice and breathing to enable them to make someone want to listen and to hear more. Right now you sound untrained and although you don't sound bad, it is obvious that there is a lot you need to learn. :) Sounds like you have a good starting point though. That's more than some can say ;)

The singing was good but mechanically, you are shooting yourself in the foot. While singing quietly might be necessary in parts of a song, or maybe you didn't want to disturb others, you need to sing with a fuller voice. That is partly why you are running out of air and have breath takes at the wrong places. I hear a lot of air coming through.

First thing, learn to control the release of the breath. Both hold back the air, as well as pressing it forward. As for pressing it forward, sing like you want someone on the other side of the room to hear you. Don't depend on being close to the mic to give you volume.

On the good side, you have good pitch control. That is, your notes were relative to each other and made sense, something that others have to work at for a while in order to achieve a good sense of intervals (distance between notes.)

You also need to change your mind, which is the hardest thing of all. Harder than all of the scales you will begin to practice. Harder than learning how to breathe for singing. Harder than finding a good vocal coach, which you should do. A few hours here and there with a good coach can get you so much farther than swimming blindly in the dark. Aside from singing in choir, singer Geoff Tate had six lessons with Maestro David Kyle. And it lasted him for decades.

You must change your mind. Do not ask can I sing or should I be singing. Ask what is keeping you from singing what you want or how you want to sing.

I never, ever asked myself that question. The only question I asked was "how do I do that?" Whatever "that" was.

Sing because you cannot think of not singing. Sing because people need to hear you sing. Don't think about people not wanting to hear you sing. That gets you absolutely no where. Besides, those who don't want you to sing are idiots. And you can tell them I said that. If they are willing to travel to Texas, I will tell them they are idiots to their face or faces.

So, change your mind. And have patience. We don't always have time to respond. And in this age if instant answers thanks to Google and Bing, you may have wait, sometimes, for an answer.

• 2 weeks later...

You actually remind me a little bit of a close friend when she was starting singing. It's not 'unpleasant,' it actually makes me smile, but obviously it's near the start of the journey. I think Ronws is offering a lot of helpful insight.

I have a quick question. Are you a native english speaker as in first language or is it a bilingual thing? I seem to detect what sounds like a bit of an accent. I find the accent cute, but in the singing process in order to get more 'formal/proper' something like that could slip away. So I hope a tiny bit stays.

I also agree that asking whether we can sing is kind of pointless and self defeating. People may not like how others sing, and it may not meet cultural/personal standards of technical excellence, but it's still singing. You were singing right here, and you'll find more and more to improve in as you keep singing, training, learning and/or receive lessons. Certainly you'll please more or less people as your voice goes through various singing phases. But are you singing for yourself at the end of the day? That's honestly enough without satisfying random people. If you want to satisfy random people, getting strategic and calculated can help but you still won't satisfy everyone!

I'm in the same boat as you. My IPod (from which I am currently viewing this from) does not support adobe flash. I can't view your song, but I have a bit of relation to you. I have this much expirence, 0. I am 13, while you are 15 (but what difference does 2 years make). I have a lot of respect for you, dropping your pride and asking for help. I have no clue about you, but being a teenager makes you think you know it all, and being on this forum is very humbling to one (slightly cocky) teenager. I give you a tremendous amount of credit, and hearing that word that people like using with you, (potential), makes me a little bit jealous of you. From what I hear (hopefully with my own ears soon) you have some talent, and I wish that more people could realize how that does very little for you very fast. I like the fax that you are fully prepared to accept that talent isn't enough and that with some help, you'll do well. Also:P I wish I had some real talent :P. My real critique (because me opinion means so much) is coming soon and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Codyknight22

Now that is a nice voice. It sounds very "clean." Really good seeing as of how you're 15. You've got a lot of talent and I can not give you any real advice, unfortunately. But to answer your question, you can sing.

KillerKu, My first language is Polish. As you said, I'm singing for myself at the end of the day. I can't "open myself" with singing, when I am with other person/ people... Thank you for your advices!:)

Codyknight22, Thank you! That's great that you're also teenager! The majority of users here are adults (i think) :)

Your voice is very pretty :) Could use a bit of refining, though, which lesson could help you with. I don't want to get too specific because I'm far from an expert, but it seems to me like you're up in your head a bit when you sing, which makes your voice sound a bit thinner than it could otherwise be :) Try using your chest voice a little more and that will really bring out your best sound. Good luck in any future singing endeavors :)

You definitely have potential as others have said, and as I have learned (because I had no potential when I started lol), anyone can sing with practice and dedication. Keep practicing and exercising those muscles!

Currently playing Banjo, and taking [url=http://www.kentamplinvocalacademy.com]singing lessons[/url] with [url=http://www.kentamplinvocalacademy.com]Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy[/url]