Not in good voice, but felt like posting something

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys, I just got done with a choir tour and my voice is absolutely dead, and thus I'm falling into some bad habits (I used to be a rock singer) and having a couple pitch issues with this (and pretty hilariously cracking a few notes that are usually pretty easy for me), but it was a one take kinda thing..let me know what you think!

sorry for the quality, laptop mic..don't have anything better with me currently.

In common with many others, you loaded your opening posting with excuses up front. It winds me up. AARGGGHH !!! Believe in yourself, sing it the best you can, no excuses.

As for comments: good articulation and tuning. It sound to me like you are using a sort of funny voice, overly-emphasising a choir-like approach. When you get louder at about 1'40 you lose control a bit, and get a bit screachy.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

I can do a British accent really well. I dont sound as British as you though Tyson. :D

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Ingredients

500g/1lb 2oz dried marrowfat peas

1 tbsp sugar

salt and freshly ground black pepper

To serve

mint sauce

mashed potatoes

Preparation method

Soak the dried marrowfat peas the night before cooking in a bowl of cold water.

The next day, rinse the peas under cold running water and place into a large saucepan.

Add boiling water to cover, the sugar and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Boil gently for about 20-30 minutes, or until the water has evaporated and the peas have turned into mush.

Serve with mint sauce and mashed potatoes.

That was from the Hairy Bikers, a couple of TV cooks here in UK, who (the clue is in the name) are also Bikers.

Thanks for the comments guys! I know i lose control up in the upper range, as stated before, my voice is dead from tour! I'm not horrifically sad about the rest of it, but those notes are usually pretty easy

the overemphasis is probably due to constant live singing (both choir and solo work)....things have to be very emphasized or they sound like mush...guess its not hte best mode to use to record though haha :P

Sorry we took over your thread :D

I have one other thing to add. Sort of a curiosity of mine for something I see often around here, as well as some advice (not vocal advice).

I can never understand why someone would post something under less than optimal circumstances for critique. To just post a song for the hell of it just for people to listen to is one thing. But to do it and ask for critique is another matter. How can anyone honestly critique something that is not being presented in its true form?

You said your voice was screwed up then you also said you didn't have the proper recording equipment with you "currently." To me that means you must have some somewhere.

So if someone wants good and honest critique then you would think they would rest up and get their voice back in order, then wait until they are able to use the better equipment and then record. Otherwise it's like asking how we think your basketball playing is when you are playing on a sprained ankle, not warmed up and using a ball with a leak in it. :)

The best advice and critique will come when you show your best. "Look what I can do....what do you think?"

true enough, I'm just at home right now for thanksgiving break and all of my recording equipment is back at college, I have a recital on monday, so hopefully I'm healed up and ready to go, and can find someone to record a performance for me! I'm doing Schubert's "Der Neugierige", it should be good :)

Hey guys, I just got done with a choir tour and my voice is absolutely dead, and thus I'm falling into some bad habits (I used to be a rock singer) and having a couple pitch issues with this (and pretty hilariously cracking a few notes that are usually pretty easy for me), but it was a one take kinda thing..let me know what you think!

sorry for the quality, laptop mic..don't have anything better with me currently.

I love that song. It was a little bit too shouty for me, sorry :) And maybe a little too brittish. Like you said, a lot of pitch issues as well!

I would love for someone to make an analysis of how it is sung by Damien Rice as he 100% managed to never sound shouty. I absolutely love his voice.

yeah idk how mr. rice does it, even in things like "rootless tree" he still has that very pretty, mellow tone to him when he's yelling his heart out

I tried to imitate the speaking voice of Glenn Hughes and I think I sounded like the gekko lizard from the Geico commercials.

When you were singing, Tyson, it didn't sound like a british accent. Something scandinavian, more to my ears. Funny that your professed location is North Dakota.

The reason your top end is loose for you is, I think, from singing choir, where you have to blend. For most singers, this means marking the higher stuff instead of going full throttle. Plus, no doubt, your training recently has been for choir work and for art song and aria recital, right? Different sound ideals. So, this might have been an unfair recording of yourself. Coming off of a tour, wiped out, fatigued, and out of training for pop music.

Der Neugierige - dehr noy-geer-REEG-eh.

As for whether or not a recording was truly prepared, there are some here who sing the song one time, no mixing effects and brag that posting a recording is their practice. So, I don't think you did so badly. One person is posting a sample of learning a song, from shaky start to what should be a solid finish.

And I have done so, with recording 3 versions of a song, different mixes, different vocal lines. A good example of what I should do before I upload even one version. Granted, you could work on something for a month, fine tune, sing several takes. Mix it beautifully. Then post it and someone will have something critical to say. Why?

Because this is the review and CRITIQUE section, evidently with emphasis on the critique. And even with no technical problems in the singing, there will be suggestions as for style of presentation.

Kind of like a normal audience. Not everyone is going to like it. Or wants to suggest trying something else. Which you can do, just for experimenting. Or leave it as it is, say "thanks, a lot" and keep on doing what you are going to do.

Of the people here, you are one of a few (I can count on one hand) that are actively engaged in public performances. And more so than just a song here and there. But a tour, with a program of music to perform. That's another animal entirely.

Give yourself some time, some rest.

Sound ok, a bit raw voice, but with trainning would quickly improve I think. Main issue is that its all retracted back, closed.

I dont understand, you were in tour with the choir and that had impact on your voice? Why?

The higher notes are completely off placement, youre literally shouting them.

ronws: haha I love that you heard the scandinavian there...half of my family is VERY norweigan.

felipe: it was a long tour with a small choir, i'm one of 3 tenors, and the only actual tenor...trying to keep up with the rest of the choir with a brass quintet backing is pretty tiring, although that may just be because my voice isn't fully matured yet. Also, funny you should say my voice is closed and placed back, this is something my voice teacher has been working with me for a long time to try and correct

ronws: haha I love that you heard the scandinavian there...half of my family is VERY norweigan.

felipe: it was a long tour with a small choir, i'm one of 3 tenors, and the only actual tenor...trying to keep up with the rest of the choir with a brass quintet backing is pretty tiring, although that may just be because my voice isn't fully matured yet. Also, funny you should say my voice is closed and placed back, this is something my voice teacher has been working with me for a long time to try and correct

I have an ear for languages. And scandinavian has a different "flavor" than the rest of northern Europe. I am most familar with Germany, a sizable chunk of my heritage. My maternal grandfather was from Germany.

And thanks for the insight to a choir tour. It's easy for some of us to make a judgement on something that we lack experience in dealing with. Better to hear straight from the road, so to speak. It's one thing to sing take after take to a recorded backing track where you can control all variables of sound and then edit that. It's another thing to sing in public with a live band with loud instruments and not the best of microphones (been there, done that.)

Anyway, I think you will be fine with some rest and re-aquainting yourself with the pop music you like to also sing.

Tyson it makes sense, its all tied together... I dont know how heavy is your singing schedule, but until your voice is mature, its not such a good idea to overdo it to the point of having an effect on your voice on the days after.

Still open and forward is a sound and good plan :). Do record something when you are better and send it over, it does not sound bad at all.

ronws: you mean loud band, and no microphones ;)

felipe: i'm a music major, so im singing most every day except weekends

Close enough. The band was loud enough and the mic they handed my was not the best and it was set for "Back-up" singing as far as volume guys. But I can sing loud enough, trust me.

:lol:

Unfortunately, I was unable to get a recording of my recital piece, although I felt it went pretty well. I may record an a capella version sometime in the near future, as I'm incapable of playing the accompaniment myself :/

in unrelated news, I got the closest thing I have ever gotten to a compliment from my current voice teacher today: "You know what I like about you? You know when you're doing something wrong."