Your Song - feedback please

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all,

I'm still working hard trying to improve my pitch, breathing and control.

My goal is pretty modest: to eventually sing a song at a party with friends without making a show of myself.

I'm not there yet, but I think I'm getting better.

This is a single, straight up take with the guitar played at the same time, the way it would be at a party.

The first line or two in a song always feels awkward to me, and this is no exception.

Any feedback or pointers for improvement are very welcome.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10813900/Your%20Song.mp3

Hi sound.

Well I didnt like the end result man. From the beginning its too inconsistent. Can be much better.

Your voice does not sound tense to me, airy when you go high but thats totally normal, and sounding very raw, but with a bit of work should come along very nice.

Wouldnt it be possible to get a teacher to help you definig these first and so important steps? You sound comfortable, thats a quite important thing right there.

I'll stay away from any technical critiques but rather just make a general comment. I like this song and I sing it at times. I have thought about recording it and I have also considered doing it live at a piano bar where I have a chance to sing once and awhile. What makes me hesitant is that it is very low and for me it is all chest voice and low toned. What that does, for me, is makes it difficult to get the right feeling into the song and the lines. Not the correct interpretation or at least not to my liking.

When I listened to your version I felt it was way too low. I felt, much like what I explained above; that it was preventing you from getting the feel of the song down and thus not relating the song to the audience. I suppose that effects pitch also. The surprising thing is that you are playing guitar right? You can just raise the key. Why didn't you just play it in a more comfortable key?

So that's my 2 cents based on my own dealing with this song. :)

I have a couple of suggestions for a beginner. When you are working on a song, strum the chord once and sing the line. work on one line at a time to dial in the pitch. Know the message of the song and the feeling that goes with it. A song like this one is so close to speaking that it is hard to break speaking habits. A person tends to speak on a monotone pitch so the pitch tends be a little flat when trying sing low and slow.

Work on singing and playing the guitar seperately at first until you have control of pitch.

Just suggestions I am not a teacher. Just another person who sings.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."