2 more covers - see description

• TMV World Legacy Member

Here are 2 covers. I did these because they are , for the most part, pretty high. I sang these as powerful as I could (except parts that are supposed to not be belted)- and it was tireing! Both are one take, so I am sure there are mistakes lol. Anyway, the reason I did these is because sometimes I can sing a clean passagio note, and sometimes I can't - and I have not isolated wtf is going - so maybe one of you can.

Faithfully - Journey cover - http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12038688&q=hi&newref=1

Karma - Kamelot cover - http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12038684&q=hi&newref=1

Sorry in advance for any dissonance that might be kicking around in these lol.

www.drop-head.com

Keith, yes ii noticed in your "Faithfully" cover that in the phrase "wheels go round and round...." in the beginning you did a very beautiful passagio and then after this you strained a little. I have no idea why. Where you tired when you sang these songs? Maybe your voice was tired due to alot of talking/shouting before singing these songs? Are you tensed when you sing high notes? Or maybe it´s just as simple as you need more practise singing in your passagio.

I sang both those songs back to back with no break - the Kamelot one first. All that after 15 minute warm up, octave sirens , and 5th sirens

www.drop-head.com

I'm starting to really like this Karma song. :P I wish that I could give you a tip that would help out. It may be a little shakey at times but the pitch is there the power is there. I like the sound that you have.

Is it possible to have too much support or too much cord closure?

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Fauthfully-

Great job, considering that your voice starts much lower than his ever did, even on a day with allergies or a cold. I really did like this cover. I had to listen to it twice because I thought I heard a pitch wobble, the first I would have ever heard from you. Backed up over the passage a few times and it was gone, whatever it was. Probably a wobble in my hearing. You did way better on this than I was expecting and I am already a big fan of your awesome voice and singing.

Karma -

Definitely your song. I still don't know the original. Your high parts are clean and light. If that feels comfortable, I would stick with it. I'm not going to be an idiot and give you a list of "what to do" in order to sound like the original. The only thing I would suggest, not knowing how you mixed the recording, is don't compress too much. Let some of your natural dynamic through, but that is a personal aesthetic consideration from me, Ron, king of the crappy 70's radio mix. I don't know if the original singer sings it as light on the upper notes. And me, the wailer from Texas, like volume in the high notes, another personal preference.

So, really, I have no technical issues to discuss and I liked what you did. I liked Faithfully more than Karma, which is funny, considering that I think you have the right voice for Kamelot music and would not have pegged you as being able to cover Journey. Good thing that I don't know what I am talking about.

:lol:

Fauthfully-

Great job, considering that your voice starts much lower than his ever did, even on a day with allergies or a cold. I really did like this cover. I had to listen to it twice because I thought I heard a pitch wobble, the first I would have ever heard from you. Backed up over the passage a few times and it was gone, whatever it was. Probably a wobble in my hearing. You did way better on this than I was expecting and I am already a big fan of your awesome voice and singing.

Karma -

Definitely your song. I still don't know the original. Your high parts are clean and light. If that feels comfortable, I would stick with it. I'm not going to be an idiot and give you a list of "what to do" in order to sound like the original. The only thing I would suggest, not knowing how you mixed the recording, is don't compress too much. Let some of your natural dynamic through, but that is a personal aesthetic consideration from me, Ron, king of the crappy 70's radio mix. I don't know if the original singer sings it as light on the upper notes. And me, the wailer from Texas, like volume in the high notes, another personal preference.

So, really, I have no technical issues to discuss and I liked what you did. I liked Faithfully more than Karma, which is funny, considering that I think you have the right voice for Kamelot music and would not have pegged you as being able to cover Journey. Good thing that I don't know what I am talking about.

:lol:

Are you hearing the gritty weird thing in my voice? I am trying to get a cleaner sound without that gritty weirness. Not sure what to do to get it lol

www.drop-head.com

Are you hearing the gritty weird thing in my voice? I am trying to get a cleaner sound without that gritty weirness. Not sure what to do to get it lol

I'd like some of that grit please! You can have my clean tones. :P

I was trying to review in the spirit of "blunt and honest." I think you did great Keith. And wanted to show others what it's like to differentiate and point out what is a stylistic concern, rather than a technical one. I like that you have clean notes up high and I don't hear any grit in your voice. Maybe you hear it but I don't. At least on these songs.