Iron Maiden: "Run To The Hills" cover (NOT KARAOKE) - not yet finished

• TMV World Legacy Member

https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8/rtth-v4

I usually post stuff when I've pretty much completed it.... but I won't be able to put any more time into this for a few days, so I thought I'd post where I got to so far, get some feedback, and maybe that'll help me know where to concentrate on for finishing it (retracking).

As with my earlier "Prowler" cover, all instruments are played by my friend Tony Rhodes.

I think some of it's OK. The main bits I am unhappy with myself is the rising 'ooh aah' sequence after the instrumental section (2'45). If it's not obvious - I pitch shifted the end scream in that sequence, as it was out of my range. I suspect Bruce cheats on the record also, on careful listening.

Some of the chorus (run to the hills, run for your lives) isn't up to scratch either.

Comment on whatever needs it though!

George

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Ron

I used to post music to reverbnation, but I moved to soundcloud because you said your browser wouldn't work on reverbnation. Since then I have posted a few songs on soundcloud which you have reviewed. I think soundcloud have just updated their site in the last few days and maybe that's why you can't see it.

Which site would you recommend which you can access?

I assume you have tried browser upgrades. Opera is a fairly skinny borowser and runs on all sort sof OS's, but I would guess that if you are on old kit then plug-ins such as flash are just as much an issiue as the browser itself, and you hay have worked through all that stuff already. There are all sorts of exotic browsers on offer: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-web-browser-other.htm

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

I think you did a good job, but I liked "Prowler" better, fits your range better IMO. I'm not saying this is bad , Run to the hills is a difficult song for anyone to sing :) Still, you have some really nice high notes in you!

Hello, George, it was a good attempt. i know you said that this is not a karaoke version but it´s unavoidable to not compare it with Iron Maiden´s version. I think it starts off quite well. The pre-chorus i didn´t like that much, you sang it in a key a little different than Bruce so maybe that´s why. The chorus is good i think but i miss the attack and power that Bruce has, when you come to the "for" after the "run to the hills" you should attack more. Also, your vibrato needs some practise. It sounded quite good but the mix was a little lifeless and dull to me. So, that is what i would try to change, but anyway you did a very good job i think, it´s a very difficult song to pull off, i know, i have tried it myself.

George, pay no mind to these critique imposters and small minds !!! :lol: That was mofo ehfen sonobichen great man!!! Yea, you've been holding an ace up your sleeve haven't you, you sneaky sonofagun. Really really good, and at 2:57? Wow!

I was able to successfully download and install google chrome so that I can now access the sites. I think I should be able to get back into box, as well. Just to upload my stuff.

I know we're supposed to get all technical and pointed and no one likes the general "good job."

So, let me be precise, as I shall have to qualify everything I say, since I am the bad boy for saying "good job."

You do not sound like Bruce. And never will, so get over it, 'ight? :)

That being said, you were on pitch and sang with great emotion. And you sang the high note (which most people don't realize is in the oh, oh section during the bridge, and not at the end) higher than Bruce does in concert. He sings it below that and with a lot of rattle. You sang it higher and on pitch.

I could hear no technical issues and as for how you arranged a pre-chorus, I think your way was valid and made sense. It's a matter of aesthetics and anyone that wants to make it a technical issue may certainly do so and I will simply disagree with that assessment and let me see you slap that out of me.

If I wanted to hear the Bruce version, I would go listen to Bruce.

So, I wanted to say that it pains me to do it but it doesn't. I am a bad man, and I am on the highway to Hell.

So, "good job." Live with it. Or don't, your choice.

"How do you like me now?"

:D

Hi george, good cover, with room for improvement. I like how you sang it, you did your own thing with it and made it different to the original. I think that the high parts need more power, you sound stretched on some of those notes, which is understandable given the song. Really good job overall though, it's a hard song to sing.