Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd/Shinedown

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi,

I love the Shinedown acoustic version of this song so this is a short stab at that version - just the first couple of verses and chorus but would appreciate honest appraisals.

Many thanks

https://soundcloud.com/weilman/simple-man

Well, you have a great voice! Very nice and pleasant tone. I was with one headphone in when the song began and then I just had to put the other one in when you started singing!

Thanks for the feedback all. I realised after posting that a member called Onacor had posted the same song last week - on balance I prefer his version!

Although you've all been pretty kind I am aware of some technical work that needs to be done in terms of control etc. I find it very difficult to really let go vocally in these as my recording conditions are not the most private/soundproof so hope to play around a bit with this tune and others when I can find somewhere else to record.

Thanks again.

Pretty good version. And it's cool, i think, that Shinedown is inspiring young'ns to appreciate southern fried rock, namely Lynrd Skynrd.

You had some nasality going on, which is an aesthetic thing, to me. I prefer a little less, but that's just me.

I used to mention about performing at a New Year's Eve Party some years ago when I still had long hair. I was wearing a New Year's derby and had the Ronnie Van Zandt look going on. Me and a local jazz saxophonist did "Freebird" with a tenor sax for the solo and I sang, of course.

One of these days, I'm going to have to man up and do that, even with my simplistic guitar playing.

Weilman... Great job bud! Enjoyed it a lot... You have a very nice, smooth tone, and I love the vibrato you have..

Thank you for the mention in your post, we have different approaches, but it doesn't make one better then the other . I think you nailed your version ... Lots of emotion coming out of your version.. well done.

Ron - appreciate the feedback. Yes nasality can be a problem for me - I need to work on that but I know where I'm going wrong which I guess is a start - just need to project differently.

I've actually loved the Skynyrd version of this for years but I just like the simple acoustic arrangement of this one. Can't wait to hear that Freebird take - the original is pretty simplistic guitar wise anyway :lol:

Onacor - thanks. I guess being from England I have the disadvantage of not naturally sounding like most of the artists I like - I think your voice just sounds very natural. Still trying to find my own sound really so appreciate all the feedback.

Same here Weilman.. I'm from Canada.. Although I understand what you mean ( I don't have any accent - atleast not that which the media has made us Canadians to sound like (Canadians saying EH, is like all Americans saying HUH, and all English saying " Governor "..

Just be yourself, and don't fight it.. we all bend sound when we sing anyway.. so maybe just practice on the vowel modifications to lessen it..

Can't wait to hear that Freebird take - the original is pretty simplistic guitar wise anyway :lol:

Well, crap, now I'm going to have to do it, maybe this weekend.

But I don't have a tenor sax and Josh, the sax player I was talking about, I don't know where he went off to.

It would have been great if someone had recorded at the party but I was probably the most sober and that was at about 3 beers.