"Girls girls girls".. How to develop fuller and more balanced tone?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys,

Can you help me to start working on a fuller and more balanced tone? My tone is so squeezed, "high", heady and sometimes nasal.

I'm weary of this because I have such a "headvoice lift" or "headvoice ramp" going on that I have worked on, headvoice and high range is quite easily accessible and headvoice musculature is quite dominant. You know, Frisell stuff :) So I don't want to lose any of this development and ease, I want to develop a tenor voice that sits very high, like Robert Plant or Adam Lambert. But I need to work on a fuller tone. I'm always so afraid to work on my chest or engage chest fully, but then I end up sounding squeeky and my tone has no fullness or depth.

Here's something I did to day. I tried to put as much deepness into this as I felt comfortable with. My voice leans a lot into headvoice musculature even in passagio, which feels wonderful.

https://app.box.com/s/jijy2n8cdndedbqkbcsx

You remind me of Ron on your post, haha.

Well, you sound good to me. I don't know the original, but if I heard it with your voice I'd probably say, "man, this is cool". If you want to deepen your tone a bit there are a few adjustments you can do.

Try to do scales on an octave using "Bub, bub, bub", or "Mum, mum, mum" trying to lean more into the mouth, and to lower the larynx a bit. To sound more like Patrick Star.

The screams are cool, I wouldn't change their resonance or larynx too much, just try to balance the nasal with the mouth/pharyngeal resonance, but keep the larynx high so you keep the metal and ring of the scream.

On the lower notes in here it sounds like you have a very high larynx, tending probably to activate some swallowing muscles, that's why you feel you sound "squeezed". I think there is where sensation of the "bub, bub" will help you.

I would not change the way you sing the high stuff. But if you want fuller sound work on your mid range.something between B3 and D4. It seemed that when you did sing lower you had an odd sound there. Let us hear how you sound in that range.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Opaa, your voice is already high centered. You sounded a little breathy here, probably because you were trying to get the same "sound" as Vince. On the higher notes, you give up the Vince thing and do better. So, I would say, from a standpoint of consistency, do the lower parts the same way you do the higher parts. Total commitment. And it sounds like you are singing in the original key. Kudos.

Thank you for your feedback everyone!

Ronws, I agree with the breathiness and inconsistency on the lower part, but it is also a stylistic thing that I pursue, that I hear some light voices like Adam Lambert and Michael Jackson do, they tend to be soft and tender on the low end and add intensity on the way through passagio and on the higher register. That's kinda what I'm after.

Phil, yes I'm interested in working on that now..

Xamedhi thank you also for your tips, I will look into them.

Rockme12 thank you for the compliment!

MDEW I actually recorded something in a bit lower register for you but it got lost with all the files :D Today I did some Michael Jackson though. It's high register again and once again I'm trying to sing the low end softly and heady, but I think this sounds a bit more natural this time. Don't know, what do you guys think?

https://app.box.com/s/l1t9qpsdme18mkvdgmgg

Edit: Fixed the link