Hotel California - Eagles

Rate this topic

I think the two of you should find a song that is an obvious duet. Either one with a specific harmony line or a question answer type of song.

"You got that right" by Skynyrd is that type of song. "Poncho and Lefty" also. Neither of these may be the right song but you can understand what I mean by these examples.

I think the two of you should find a song that is an obvious duet. Either one with a specific harmony line or a question answer type of song.

"You got that right" by Skynyrd is that type of song. "Poncho and Lefty" also. Neither of these may be the right song but you can understand what I mean by these examples.

Bay had mentioned doing a duet of "Take Me Home, Country Roads," a song I used to do when I was a teenager. And I could not remember it being a duet or imagine it being one. Nor, necessarily, "Hotel California." In the original, it is pretty much Don Henley doing all the singing though I now can't remember if the choruses had the other members singing or if it was just a doubling of Henley. I sang the song from memory.

Nor had I planned to record the John Denver song, until Bay mentioned it. Nor do I plan to, on my own, unless the mood strikes me. I actually have a different song to cover. One that has been stuck in my head for a week or more. I have been singing bits and pieces of it on the way to work because it won't leave me alone. But, that's enough teasing for now.

Bay sent me the backing track for HC and his part of the lyrics. Which made it easy for me to sing the other part. And I joined him on "programmed to receive" because I have always felt that part would be better if sung low, which Henley did not do.

And I have thought that you (MDEW) and I could maybe some day do "Beer for My Horses," as done by Toby Keith and Willie Nelson. I could probably fake the Toby part. He and are about the same height. :D

Probably the only song I have done recently that was originally a duet with harmony, rather than unison parts, was "Homeward Bound" with you (MDEW.)

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with what Bay and I did, take a song and take pieces of it to do, like they did on the show "Crossroads." Pat Benetar and Martina McBride dividing up "Promises in the Dark."

And, again, I have to appreciate the look on Martina's face after the high note. It says, to me, "Thank goodness I did NOT screw that up!"

I'm gathering, from the hint, Mr. Brownstone?

No, and it took me a re-read of my post to figure out where you gathered an inference. "Won't leave me alone" wa not the hint but I do like the connection you made. For I do that, too. And so does Brenda. Daily conversation recalls a song lyric which cycles back into the conversation.

:)

Hey guys, Good Job! I liked the contrast between the voices, that MDEW already mentioned. I felt that Ronws sang it so relaxed and easy that he got a bit late in the timing. Not that this is a bad thing, I just noticed it. Quick question: what did you do (Ronws) when you sang "and in the master chambers, they gathered for the feast..."?! Because it sounded really powerful, and maybe compressed and different than what I'm used to listen from you. Really cool tone! Bay, I really liked your take on this classic rock! AWESOME! :cool:

Thanks guys.

Gneetapp, I had to listen to it again to see if I could remember what I was thinking. I was just going for a full and rounded tone, as best as I can remember. I don't think about compression, per se. Just a balanced amount of air and resonance like a bell ringing.

That may be inaccurate. When I sing, I don't think about technique. It's more like a zen state, for me.

I am certainly not an expert, but I like to think I am a singer.

The timing thing was a latency thing I should have fixed and forgot about it. But the relaxed part, yes. I sang along with this song for decades and even did it on my guitar for a while. So, really, I was going from memory. That's why I didn't think to add voices like there are in the original. I heard this song on the way home, today. And in the choruses, it is the band members backing Don, and doing the fills, too.

Sounding good. No real criticisms, except:

1. some timing issues in odd places

2. the mix is not great and so detracts a bit from the excellent work. If you do another then email me, and if I have time I could mix and master it for you.

I'd love to do a male/female duet. There are two very different songs I have had in mind for the right opportunity:

1. "Anything You Can Do", from "Annie Get Your Gun". Here's a clip:

2. "Please Don't Touch" by Headgirl (Motörhead+Girlschool). Here's a clip:

Any female singers here fancy either song?

Thanks, George. And I will eventually take you up on the offer to mix, even on my own stuff.

However, and I could be wrong, I think Bay Harbor Butcher is a guy. In his emails to me, his name is a masculine name (though not american or british.)

Still though, I thought sometimes of him and I doing a duet of "Under Pressure" with me doing the David Bowie part.