My Bridging - Please Review?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Yet another bridging thread from me. I apologise in advance but bear with me.

I do this sort of stuff when im practising. Its very weak but i can get it seamlessly up and down without it sounding Like falsetto to me.

Question is, is this what im doing here a correct way to bridge and should i keep doing it but modifying it morr to make it "more corecct" or am i blowing smoke and doing nothing bassically.

Clips:

https://app.box.com/s/m44ky4a777n59nr0wv7uea07on77h2vu - from G4 upwards

https://app.box.com/s/dxb2g9vwh4635j84py34ri22nqzce5qy - High C

https://app.box.com/s/xi04brmcvixk8dqeraljxyrfbxnnh01d - High D

https://app.box.com/s/o1kjs6cp1rujenqi32rn9hl3ekwzdfjb - High E

There are a few errors here and there but i left them intentionally so u can see whats happening.

Thanks in advance!!

• Administrator

Elvis,

This needs to go to "Review My Singing".

It needs some tags.

It needs a real title... "Am I doing this Correctly" is not a title... 

Please help us to maintain a clean and high quality forum by not posting a "thought"... if your going to make a post... put it in the proper category, add tags that are relevant and give it a title that people might actually be able to search for one day.  Otherwise, please don't publish. This is a forum with TOPICS... its not a personal email. Thanks ahead of time.

I listened to your files and its a very light mass, almost open glottis position... your question... am I doing this correctly?  Is a broad question... correctly for what?  I really don't know what your needs are... can you be more specific?

Aren't you a client of "Pillars"... ?  If you are... I hear no onsets here, your phonation needs more compression, the scale is too fast and uncontrolled... its just sloppy. Is it a decent bridge?  I guess its ok, but these phonations are not going to serve you too well when you transition to singing... there is hardly no anchoring or engagement of musculature so if you start singing in this configuration, its just going to melt down.

Elvis,

This needs to go to "Review My Singing".

It needs some tags.

It needs a real title... "Am I doing this Correctly" is not a title... 

Please help us to maintain a clean and high quality forum by not posting a "thought"... if your going to make a post... put it in the proper category, add tags that are relevant and give it a title that people might actually be able to search for one day.  Otherwise, please don't publish. This is a forum with TOPICS... its not a personal email. Thanks ahead of time.

I listened to your files and its a very light mass, almost open glottis position... your question... am I doing this correctly?  Is a broad question... correctly for what?  I really don't know what your needs are... can you be more specific?

Aren't you a client of "Pillars"... ?  If you are... I hear no onsets here, your phonation needs more compression, the scale is too fast and uncontrolled... its just sloppy. Is it a decent bridge?  I guess its ok, but these phonations are not going to serve you too well when you transition to singing... there is hardly no anchoring or engagement of musculature so if you start singing in this configuration, its just going to melt down.

Thanks for your time and i apologise about the title. Gonna be more mindful next time.

I figured out this configuration just recently, less than a month. Its getting a bit stronger as time passes and i am slowly working my way into it currently.

Also i will be buying 4 pillars in less than a week, im waiting my mother to use her debit card so i can buy pillars since my accounts are frozen, so no there are no onsets as i dont really know how to make an onset, and based on some youtube vids of yours i watched i didnt really get how to make them accept for the Q&R onset.

What are my goals? My goals are to learn how to bridge and to make the notes stronger so i can use them practically in singing. I listen to rock/metal and would like to be able to sing higher with more power.

I know this takes alot of practice and thats why im asking so many question cuz im excited about my proggress and am very passonate about singing.

Elvis,

Have you tried the same scale on semi occluded exercices like lip bubbles, tongue trills, 'v', 'z','ng', straw etc...? Those will be easier for you at first than open vowels like "ah". Also you don't need to go so high with this. A lot of people want powerfull high notes like C5+ and are unaware that they have problems in the C4-G4 area... They can hit the note but it doesn't mean they're doing it right.

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

Also you don't need to go so high with this. A lot of people want powerfull high notes like C5+ and are unaware that they have problems in the C4-G4 area... They can hit the note but it doesn't mean they're doing it right.

I wondered about this.  I'm generally curious about the interest in being able to sing above A4; there is a lot of music below A4.   Not much Zeppelin of course ....

More to the point, managing that E4 to A4 range seems like a pretty solid challenge to begin with.

The thing is i can easily sing up to A4 but not like this...this is kinda lighter config..that i use to train bridging...

Cool, understood.  And it wasn't my intent to pick on you personally, meant as a general observation.

• Administrator

I wondered about this.  I'm generally curious about the interest in being able to sing above A4; there is a lot of music below A4.   Not much Zeppelin of course ....

More to the point, managing that E4 to A4 range seems like a pretty solid challenge to begin with.

Excellent point.. singing strongly and belting strongly eventually up to at least C5 is important... but singing super hey "screamY" judas priest screams is actually easier then command and control of the notes from E4-A4 for men... 

• Administrator

Then you don't have a problem with bridging!

I tend to agree... if your phonation can get to an A4 without pushing, choking, constricting, blowing open with wind, or quacking like a duck... then you have probably bridged at least decent.  Then its just a matter of working on the resonance and musculature to support it. 

Yet another bridging thread from me. I apologise in advance but bear with me.

I do this sort of stuff when im practising. Its very weak but i can get it seamlessly up and down without it sounding Like falsetto to me.

Question is, is this what im doing here a correct way to bridge and should i keep doing it but modifying it morr to make it "more corecct" or am i blowing smoke and doing nothing bassically.

Clips:

https://app.box.com/s/m44ky4a777n59nr0wv7uea07on77h2vu - from G4 upwards

https://app.box.com/s/dxb2g9vwh4635j84py34ri22nqzce5qy - High C

https://app.box.com/s/xi04brmcvixk8dqeraljxyrfbxnnh01d - High D

https://app.box.com/s/o1kjs6cp1rujenqi32rn9hl3ekwzdfjb - High E

There are a few errors here and there but i left them intentionally so u can see whats happening.

Thanks in advance!!

I mostly looked at the first one since that''s the worst part for males. 

Your vowels are way too spread as you go through the bridge.

Try Ahh (lower) to Awh (middle) to Uuuhh (higher) and the sound needs to be in the same place you would sing an ugly 'ng' sound. Take note however that if your technique is not there, your ng placement will fall a part. Personally I think you need a good teacher who understands the Italian/swedish old school classical method who can get you in the right placement. You can take the sound into a rockier place once you have that fundamental by changing the vowel shapes.

• Administrator

Italian/swedish old school classical method who can get you in the right placement.

And what exactly does that mean?  What placement would that be? 

With all due respect "Burning_Rand", "Italian/Swedish Old School Classical Method" is a buzz phrase and really lacks definition as to what specifically you are talking about and it does not offer any direction for Elvis...

Elvis to Daniel's point recently, don't start chasing the "Italian/Swedish Old School" anything right now...    ;)

Stay the course!

And what exactly does that mean?  What placement would that be? 

Greg, focus on the fundamentals.. get your larynx up and amplify your palette for now... This fella is making a sweeping statement that has specific meaning. Focus on what you are doing, don't start chasing the "Italian/Swedish Old School" anything right now... Even if you did have your fundamentals and a solid foundation in place, I still wouldn't go chasing any "Italian/Swedish Old School" anything.  ;)

Stay the course!

Well it would appear that it's something you would not like.. Since it's very anti raising the larynx. Either way his larynx sounds far too high. The italian/swedish school is basically way all the best singers of the 1900s were trained, including the old non-classical singers. It's not something I can explain in detail on a forum like this.

Either way, he can choose whatever he wants, I just put in my 30 cents.

• Administrator

Well it would appear that it's something you would not like.. Since it's very anti raising the larynx. Either way his larynx sounds far too high. The italian/swedish school is basically way all the best singers of the 1900s were trained, including the old non-classical singers. It's not something I can explain in detail on a forum like this.

Either way, he can choose whatever he wants, I just put in my 30 cents.

Burning thats fine and thanks for your contribution... 

Please specify what the "Italian/Swedish Old School Method" means... How would you define that?  

And I the only preference for larynx positioning I prefer is the one that is proper for the formant and the style and genre and color of his voice... I am not the "high larynx" guy, so I really don't know how your drawing that conclusion. As a matter of fact, there is a lot of dampened larynx discussion, onsets and emphasis in my teaching.  

What content or post gives you the conclusion that I would generally prefer a high larynx? Im not really seeing any such statement or post?

Burning thats fine and thanks for your contribution... 

Please specify what the "Italian/Swedish Old School Method" means... How would you define that?  

And I the only preference for larynx positioning I prefer is the one that is proper for the formant and the style and genre and color of his voice... I am not the "high larynx" guy, so I really don't know how your drawing that conclusion. As a matter of fact, there is a lot of dampened larynx discussion, onsets and emphasis in my teaching.  

What content or post gives you the conclusion that I would generally prefer a high larynx? Im not really seeing any such statement or post?

My apologies, I must have misread you somewhere...

I thought I read somewhere in your last post to keep his larynx high, must have imagined it or read two things at once!

It's the school of training that people like Jussi Bjoerling, Maria Callas, and Kristen Flagstad, Robert Merril and has been adopted by the American classical school. Later on you have people like Audra Macdonald, Jesseye Norman, Bryn Terfel, all of whom can sing a contemporary sound too - probably Bryn not so much ... Jennie Deva uses a lot of aspects of this training too for more contemporary voices.

Brought about a lot of what contemporary teachers like to work with posture, ng placement, slight tilt of the larynx, forward tongue position, inhalare (vacuum of the voice causing an open throat), wide pillars of faucets and blending of vowels mostly on a fundamental Ahh-Awh-Uh (for AH) and Ee-Ih etc. It works in opposition to certain methodologies, particularly the Estill method, the flat tongue method, raised larynx, over-supporting, wide mouth, overactive jaw.

Wow thanks guys for all the comments. When i get 4Pillars ill ask less questions like this on forum cuz ill have a method to work on. Right now im shooting in the dark mostly.

And yea i can sing up to A4 preety easily and with quite strenght. I break sometimes but that like 1 time out of 50. The thing im trying to achieve is to sing higher. At least up to C5. And i know that takes work. And why is this my goal? Because most of the song i love are sung by people who sings very high. And some of the songs i wrote lack that uper register. In other words, i cant express myself musically as much as i would want to because of my limited range.

Also the idea behind these clips is to show what am i doing to try to go higher. And generally when im listening o the clips, it does sound airy but its the fullest sound i could produce. ALSO a month ago this same sound was alot weaker, and now its getting proggressively stronger, thats why i wanted to hear from you guys if the configuration im using is correct and can potentialy grow stronger or am i just doing some retarded stuff xD

Elvis,

Have you tried the same scale on semi occluded exercices like lip bubbles, tongue trills, 'v', 'z','ng', straw etc...? Those will be easier for you at first than open vowels like "ah". Also you don't need to go so high with this. A lot of people want powerfull high notes like C5+ and are unaware that they have problems in the C4-G4 area... They can hit the note but it doesn't mean they're doing it right.

Elvis, I think this is really good advice

You have a great voice, and lot of potencial... I glad you are going to start training your voice with a program

Can´t wait to see your improvements, good luck!

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

Elvis, I think this is really good advice

You have a great voice, and lot of potencial... I glad you are going to start training your voice with a program

Can´t wait to see your improvements, good luck!

Thanks Bono!! 

I tried doing ng's and lip thrills. The thing is with those semi-occ sounds i can get up to D5 without any strain or any evident break. But i think this falsetto. Idk what to really look for when doing it. It just seems easy and like nothing happens

Thanks Bono!! 

I tried doing ng's and lip thrills. The thing is with those semi-occ sounds i can get up to D5 without any strain or any evident break. But i think this falsetto. Idk what to really look for when doing it. It just seems easy and like nothing happens

With enough training, that 'ng' will sound a little bit like a theremin as you go through the bridge and higher head voice (listen to one on youtube)... That's the only thing I can compare it to. When you sound like that, you will NOT be in falsetto but a fully connected middle-head voice. It will be extremely strange. 

Also with the lip trills, try them with different vowels (as if you were doing brrrrreeeeeeeee for instance but not opening to the eeee) and see which one gives you the most ring in the front of the mouth/nasal cavity... I find the brrrs and the ngs only help when they are making that ring happen.

With enough training, that 'ng' will sound a little bit like a theremin as you go through the bridge and higher head voice (listen to one on youtube)... That's the only thing I can compare it to. When you sound like that, you will NOT be in falsetto but a fully connected middle-head voice. It will be extremely strange. 

Also with the lip trills, try them with different vowels (as if you were doing brrrrreeeeeeeee for instance but not opening to the eeee) and see which one gives you the most ring in the front of the mouth/nasal cavity... I find the brrrs and the ngs only help when they are making that ring happen.

Thanks Burn! Ill try to record it tomorrow so you can hear whats happening there :)

And yea i can sing up to A4 preety easily and with quite strenght.

Elvis, can you post a clip where you're singing in the C4-A4 range?

Burning_Rand, just curious are you studying with David Jones?

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

Elvis, can you post a clip where you're singing in the C4-A4 range?

Burning_Rand, just curious are you studying with David Jones?

I can ofc.. i think Let It Be by beatles sits exactly there. Ill record it today