Rate this topic

Hello once again TVM, been a long time. :)

Been busy recording some of my own stuff hence haven't had the time for the occasional cover, but started working on something just to get those inspirational juices flowing. Not finished or mixed yet, but I've started tracking.

Would like some feedback once again. taking on a tougher tune this time.

www.reverbnation.com/grungemaniac1/songs

Nice job Grunge!!

You're hitting the notes, which is a job in itself. Now, if you can add a little more grit to your tone, you'll be there. But I've been working on some Alice myself and know how hard that can be.

Thank you Bzean! :D  Yes I've started to use distorted tones over the last couple of weeks now after learning to do them safely, The thing with distortion is that you just have to sing a lot in it so that over time the voice becomes seasoned with that tone and then it will grow into it more naturally slowly, from what I've heard. It certainly is a process.

Great to have you back!  Nice post... 

I actually did this a couple years ago...

I like your version, it was more of the unplugged version... very gritty. Nice work!

Hello Robert! Yes I know, I actually follow you quite frequently, loved your Child In Time cover a lot as well. :)

Sry to knick the thread but i just wanted to ask Robert a question.

Rob do you have to modify vowels that much. Seems to me that Layne doesent modify as much as you in this cover. Just wondering if thats stylistic thing or actual necessity

Sry to knick the thread but i just wanted to ask Robert a question.

Rob do you have to modify vowels that much. Seems to me that Layne doesent modify as much as you in this cover. Just wondering if thats stylistic thing or actual necessity

Don't want to poke my nose into your question, but he's kinda done it in his own style and is not copying layne, he's modified the vowels to maintain some of that twang on the high notes, its not necessary, I would call it preference. :)

Don't want to poke my nose into your question, but he's kinda done it in his own style and is not copying layne, he's modified the vowels to maintain some of that twang on the high notes, its not necessary, I would call it preference. :)

Yea i just wanted to know...btw if u see comments down on rooster and child in time cover you will see that i love them...i really like Roberts take on those songs. Really bluesy interpretation that i really dig

• Administrator

Don't want to poke my nose into your question, but he's kinda done it in his own style and is not copying layne, he's modified the vowels to maintain some of that twang on the high notes, its not necessary, I would call it preference.

@ Elvis...

"Grunge"... has a good response here, especially the point that I do it my way. I never wanted to try to make my voice sound like Layne Staley, to me... that feels like a pointless endeavor... its more fun for me and interesting to listeners to hear a good singer do the song with their sound colors and stylings in my opinion... within a respectable and reasonable margin.

Regarding the modified vowels...  This is a point I make in "The Four Pillars of Singing" regarding modified vowels... we modify vowels for several different reason in training and singing; to help shift the formant when bridging in workouts, to help shift the formant when singing, ... in "Pillars" there are now about 13 "Resistance Vowel Modification Formulas" for students to train that are modification sequences that are designed to increase strength and coordination... that means, they are HARD and like solving a puzzle... and in regards to singing, we modify vowels for two reasons;... because we have to get the note done because the frequency, physical strength, song, level of fatigue, etc... dictates that we do... this kind of vowel modification is contingent on the frequency. The higher the pitch and the more narrowed the vowel, the more the necessity to modify the vowel.

But sometimes we ... at least I do and I teach this as well... we modify vowels simply because we want to as artists. Modified vowels tend to be more open, resonant vowels and that means more warmth and color sometimes in the voice. Modified vowels also tend to make a singer sound more "formal" or "theatery" in my opinion, a "vibe" I like to go for sometimes... if all your vowels always sounded like speech vowels... your singing would sound too amateurish...  this is what 'grunge" is referring to I believe... and I certain did chose to do this purely for artistic reasons in this performance.

The performance is now about 2 years old... if I did it again today I would probably not modify quite as much and I would probably Edge my vowels more to the forward palette and get a slightly brighter sound color.. which is the changes I have made since then... at that time, I was more into warmer colors, which modified vowels tend to give you... 

It is just a matter of artistic choice and what my attractor state was at the time... these days, it would be less modified and brighter in color and I would not mess up the lyrics... there were a couple lyrics that were wrong in this performance... either way, is fine.  I like this performance, I think its cool. I'm glad you guys enjoy it too.... 

Layne Staley's mother sent me a personal email after seeing it and she thanked me. She thought it was respectable and a good effort. She sponsors a fund raiser here in Seattle for heroin addiction every year and I have been a part of that charity for a few years.

@ Elvis...

"Grunge"... has a good response here, especially the point that I do it my way. I never wanted to try to make my voice sound like Layne Staley, to me... that feels like a pointless endeavor... its more fun for me and interesting to listeners to hear a good singer do the song with their sound colors and stylings in my opinion... within a respectable and reasonable margin.

Regarding the modified vowels...  This is a point I make in "The Four Pillars of Singing" regarding modified vowels... we modify vowels for several different reason in training and singing; to help shift the formant when bridging in workouts, to help shift the formant when singing, ... in "Pillars" there are now about 13 "Resistance Vowel Modification Formulas" for students to train that are modification sequences that are designed to increase strength and coordination... that means, they are HARD and like solving a puzzle... and in regards to singing, we modify vowels for two reasons;... because we have to get the note done because the frequency, physical strength, song, level of fatigue, etc... dictates that we do... this kind of vowel modification is contingent on the frequency. The higher the pitch and the more narrowed the vowel, the more the necessity to modify the vowel.

But sometimes we ... at least I do and I teach this as well... we modify vowels simply because we want to as artists. Modified vowels tend to be more open, resonant vowels and that means more warmth and color sometimes in the voice. Modified vowels also tend to make a singer sound more "formal" or "theatery" in my opinion, a "vibe" I like to go for sometimes... if all your vowels always sounded like speech vowels... your singing would sound too amateurish...  this is what 'grunge" is referring to I believe... and I certain did chose to do this purely for artistic reasons in this performance.

The performance is now about 2 years old... if I did it again today I would probably not modify quite as much and I would probably Edge my vowels more to the forward palette and get a slightly brighter sound color.. which is the changes I have made since then... at that time, I was more into warmer colors, which modified vowels tend to give you... 

It is just a matter of artistic choice and what my attractor state was at the time... these days, it would be less modified and brighter in color and I would not mess up the lyrics... there were a couple lyrics that were wrong in this performance... either way, is fine.  I like this performance, I think its cool. I'm glad you guys enjoy it too.... 

Layne Staley's mother sent me a personal email after seeing it and she thanked me. She thought it was respectable and a good effort. She sponsors a fund raiser here in Seattle for heroin addiction every year and I have been a part of that charity for a few years.

Awesome response Maestro!

Btw i actually like the vowel mods here...they are kinda groovy ;P

• Administrator

Yes, it seems that vowel modifications for the sake of color and creative choice, is underestimated by some people.... as if its a problem... its not problem necessarily... depends on why your doing it. It is a sound color choice.  

Artists do vowel modifications ALL the time...

Here is a really good sample I like to show people.  Listen to the big pretty bridge.. I think this sound great!

• Administrator

No, but I know about the whole program and how awesome it is. I find that it offers too much detail on every aspect of singing, which isn't a bad thing, it's incredible, but I prefer not to know much about the technicalities and dive right into a singing technique as it is.

..... ? ....   :wacko:  LOL... that seems like a funny thing to say to me... but I totally understand where your coming from... Can I just point out that you said,... 

I prefer not to know much about the technicalities and dive right into a singing technique as it is

This is an oxymoron... a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction

Singing techniques "as it is"... would be found in a source that offers and explains singing techniques, "as it is". There is only one way to learn singing techniques, you can't just "will" it to happen for you or sing only... and expect to understand singing techniques or learn them if you are interested in that.

Are you really trying to say your not interested in singing techniques, that you just want to kind of feel your way through it by only singing?  A lot of people do that, and its ok, but in my opinion, it will only prolong your progress and confusion about what is going on.

But let's get to what I think the real "message" is here... I think what your may also be saying is, "... hey Robert, I know your program is great... but it seems too complex for me and I don't want to deal with complexities, I just want something that is easy and not too hard or requires me to read a book, etc... ".  That is not intended to be an offense, it is perfect fine, there are some people out there that are like that.

Here is the bottom-line... What a lot of people are doing with TFPOS, and I am also developing is... simpler training routines.  Taking the content and condensing it into easier, "let's get to it..." training routines that give you a warm up and do take your voice into all the things you need for a good warm up and workout, but in a way that is as my "why", but just "how"... 

So my point is, if you owned TFPOS, it you can pull out the simpler, "get to it" training routines.