You're Sixteen Cover Jeremy

Rate this topic

Check out my new cover guys, was a lot of fun to make!  It's got some of those damned F4s in it.. they were tough but I pulled them off decent enough. 

http://picosong.com/VUVi/

edit: I know there are some problems with this cover, it's definitely not to my potential.  I did both the tracks on first take and just rolled with it because it was damn fun.  Feel free to call out any issues you might be able to help with though.  I'm already aware of where all the pitch problems are though.  

edited with better version of cover

You covered this just to justify buying a Kazoo didn't you? :)  

One of the first songs I learned how to play. I like it.

Haha, well the backing is all Karaoke.  I wish I could say it was all me, I'd feel much prouder. Thank you for listening though. :)

This is some good rock n roll. I love the raw groove. I love how you kept it authentic. One is centered panned and there is still the classic left channel over there too as a double track. Your trademark is preserved.

I'll don't have the greatest technical advice cause this is pure rock n roll and a breath of fresh air. Don't feel like meddling with it as it might rock less.

I guess my advice is: use more technique on higher notes and keep using rock n roll from time to time on those low notes. There you go. :D

This is some good rock n roll. I love the raw groove. I love how you kept it authentic. One is centered panned and there is still the classic left channel over there too as a double track. Your trademark is preserved.

I'll don't have the greatest technical advice cause this is pure rock n roll and a breath of fresh air. Don't feel like meddling with it as it might rock less.

I guess my advice is: use more technique on higher notes and keep using rock n roll from time to time on those low notes. There you go. :D

Thanks bro, my voice went a little bit twangier/brighter than I wanted to sing this but you know as well as anybody that I'm sorting that out haha.  Don't think I've forgotten working those dopey sounds to stop shooting my larynx through the roof when I get higher haha.

You should check out the newer version though because it has better sound quality, sadly not panned to the left like the original.  I tried for a more straight double track.  Thanks for listening man, peace.

I don't have any critique for this. I simply enjoyed it. It took me back to my youth, in California. Sometimes, you just do a good job on a good song. It can happen.

I live in California now. :)  Your comment means a lot to me as it is truly a great compliment to say you were able to reminisce to this tune.  Thank you. 

I don't have any critique for this. I simply enjoyed it. It took me back to my youth, in California. Sometimes, you just do a good job on a good song. It can happen.

Sometimes people have to pick tunes they rock less on to get any valid critique.

So yeah, pick something that rocks less. We'll dissect it into fine grains of sand. ;)

I'm thinking maybe it's time to make a cover competition of the laughing gnome.

I'd do my part to make sure he never lives that one down and it we'll have to have a lot of range to play the part of the gnome without a pitch shifter.

Sometimes people have to pick tunes they rock less on to get any valid critique.

So yeah, pick something that rocks less. We'll dissect it into fine grains of sand. ;)

I'm thinking maybe it's time to make a cover competition of the laughing gnome.

I'd do my part to make sure he never lives that one down and it we'll have to have a lot of range to play the part of the gnome without a pitch shifter.

Hahaha no way man.. when my voice rocks less it REALLY rocks less.  I am both a good singer and the worst singer of all time depending on what range you want to stick me in.  Even this song is actually pushing my boundaries a bit and you can tell by the way most of my notes are pretty high larynxed. It's not a stylistic choice but rather what we talked about.  At some point I just naturally hike it up by instinct by C4 or so.  This song is basically all D4 + besides a few dips.  

So yeah.. if you want to hear me doing a cover that's less suitable than my voice for this it won't be very pretty hahaha.

I don't think it is so much a matter of what genre as it is may simply be that some songs, you just do well on others, not so much.

And sometimes, to get some critique, you have to go to where others "are." Post a country song and you won't get much comment, good or bad, at all, because many people here are not familiar with that genre or what the original sounds like and they want to compare you to the original.

However, all you have to do to get a few pages of comments is cover a Journey or Iron Maiden song. That usually generates interest and comments. And that is not an "indictment" or a complaint. Just saying that hard rock and heavy metal and some prog get more attention than more obscure folk and country songs. It just happens.

It's a good bet that a lot of the younger members here have not heard that song, whereas I remember when it was new on the radio. I used to carpool with Fred Flintstone. I have bigger feet than he had and I made it easier to stop the car.

B)

I don't think it is so much a matter of what genre as it is may simply be that some songs, you just do well on others, not so much.

And sometimes, to get some critique, you have to go to where others "are." Post a country song and you won't get much comment, good or bad, at all, because many people here are not familiar with that genre or what the original sounds like and they want to compare you to the original.

However, all you have to do to get a few pages of comments is cover a Journey or Iron Maiden song. That usually generates interest and comments. And that is not an "indictment" or a complaint. Just saying that hard rock and heavy metal and some prog get more attention than more obscure folk and country songs. It just happens.

It's a good bet that a lot of the younger members here have not heard that song, whereas I remember when it was new on the radio. I used to carpool with Fred Flintstone. I have bigger feet than he had and I made it easier to stop the car.

B)

Haha I get your point, well I'm not just an oldies guy by any means.  I like all kinds of music, including metal and prog, but I don't know too many artists in those genre and my voice is not to a place yet where it can handle those genres.  Maybe one day when my technique is awesome I'll do a "Turbo Lover" cover but until that day I know you, Killerku, and surely some others appreciate some of the more classic songs I like to do.  

There are quite a few songs that I thought about recording to post, then changed my mind thinking no one would know them or like them. A few days later I would see them in the list of new Posts here. "You're Sixteen" was one of them.  "Country Roads" was another. Add to that "Sunday Morning Comin" Down" and "Rockin' Robin" from a few years ago... :)

They don't call them "Oldies but Goodies" for nothin'. B)

There are quite a few songs that I thought about recording to post, then changed my mind thinking no one would know them or like them. A few days later I would see them in the list of new Posts here. "You're Sixteen" was one of them.  "Country Roads" was another. Add to that "Sunday Morning Comin" Down" and "Rockin' Robin" from a few years ago... :)

Hell yeah, that's awesome.  I don't like to call them oldies though because I think music is timeless.  Whether it was created last week or seventy years ago all that matters is that it invokes something special in you.  Even though I use the term myself sometimes, I feel like saying "oldies" implies you gotta be old to enjoy it.  In that case we'd have to call new music "newies." :D Just my thoughts.  Thanks for your comment.

Maybe one day when my technique is awesome I'll do a "Turbo Lover" cover   

That would be cool. 

Although I have my own lyrics for that song.

"I'm your turtle blubber.

Tell me there's more butter."

Check out my new cover guys, was a lot of fun to make!  It's got some of those damned F4s in it.. they were tough but I pulled them off decent enough. 

http://picosong.com/VUVi/

edit: I know there are some problems with this cover, it's definitely not to my potential.  I did both the tracks on first take and just rolled with it because it was damn fun.  Feel free to call out any issues you might be able to help with though.  I'm already aware of where all the pitch problems are though.  

edited with better version of cover

Nice happy song. Not my usual cup of tea, but I can appreciate what is being conveyed here.

You already know, as an R&B guy, I completely gave up on that, lol. I'll just sing whatever and hope somebody will listen whether, they know it or not.