Welcome to the jungle

• TMV World Legacy Member

Did this one today, this is a challenging song in many ways for me. I'm trying to use this song to strengthen headvoice and deepen the headvoice placement, relying more on CT muscle or whatever is going on (leaning into headvoice instead of chest), and letting the TA relax more. So easily this becomes shouting and full power, I try not to. Also trying to manage the abundance of words and consonants :D

What do you guys think?

https://app.box.com/s/q4gc9kj3g4avz46x1jpsm2titu3scrhp

"My music at www.ozzyslant.com"

I approached with trepidation. It is easy for a lot of people to mess this one up. But you did well. For one thing, I liked the mix. Good use of delay.

Funny thing, your voice made me think of Jack Russel from Great White. That is not a bad thing. Your pronunciation and articulation were good and I like the subtle liberties you took with the vocal line. This is how to cover a song.

• Administrator

Ozzy... This is the first chance I have had to get in here to give you a review... 

Nice effort here... you do a pretty decent "Axel Rose"...

It is clear that you have groove, feel and can sing... there are some good "twangy" compressions in the head voice or high chest on this that works... you have some decent strength and control... a good foundation.

How old are you? Has your voice changed?

This could be a bit more tight on the cues / onsets that would make it rock more ... you may want to try working on some distortion sounds with this as well... there are many ways to distort the voice... but one way... something I teach in "The Four Pillars of Singing", is what we call overlay decompressed distortion... it just means distortion that is created by bleeding the glottis of respiration to create noise in the vocal tract.  When you are singing head tones like this, it tends to work well... 

Nice work... it could use a bit more beef.. the above mentioned distortion would go a long way to help that as well as some  more larynx anchoring... get your larynx down a bit if you can... try singing "through" more "uh-ishness" in your vowels... understand that what I mean by that is... there are two kinds of vowels going on here simultaneously... there is the language vowel that you need to get the lyric across but, on the "outside" of that... kind of like the "parental" vowel or the "umbrella" vowel... is the overall formant shading... singing the lyric vowels inside of a parental "uh-ish vowel" may be one way to get a bit more beef out of this...

Also training glottal attack onsets as well... this will build the strength of your adductors so that you can pull more chest for singing like this that kicks ass.

Overall, good job!

Nice job!! Aside from anything else what I hear is CONVICTION which to me is the number one skill a singer needs beyond his technical abilities and you are selling this song. I totally agree with Robert you would benefit from some subtle distortion and I don't want to offend you but your tone sounds "young" but very good as well. My voice didn't finally settle until my 20's. Your pitch was very good and I liked how you varied up the melody from the GnR version ever so slightly. That's my favorite way to do a cover, Love the song, Learn the words and basic melody, then Let it out! Get into it and don't worry about being an exact duplicate of the original. Can't wait to hear more from you. 

• Administrator

... yes... as Musicman said... that is a good way of putting it... it sounded like... good singer with a lot going for him,... and young... which is also a lot going for you... nothing more valuable then time.  But, ya... it needs some meat... and that tends to happen more in your late 20s and 30s... in fact, my voice is sounding the best it ever has in my 40s... the voice is the last thing in the body to fully mature and get strong.