Nights in White Satin - Practice

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is  not a song I would normally try to cover but my wife has been playing it over and over. I needed to record it to get it to stop playing in my head.

Any thoughts on what I need to improve on is welcome.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

MDEW, I've never heard this song before, so after listening to your version I went to Youtube to search for the original, so I could have a better idea. Before I listened to the original I thought you did really well, and I liked your timbre and emotion. There are a few spots to improve pitch, mainly in the choruses, although you improved a lot in the 2nd and 3rd choruses (IMO). My opinion didn't changed after listening the original (by Moody Blues), I still think you did well, and the song and your voice are very good match. Have you noticed how the singer is doing the "oh how I love you..." part in the chorus? It is not a discreet change in registers (or resonances). Is this what you are struggling with? Because that is the only thing I could notice that needs a bit more work. Congrats man, keep'em coming!

I am pretty much wondering if it is a song I should pursue or drop. I recorded this at night and did not go all out on the volume as the song calls for. That may help with keeping the timbre a little closer between The verses and choruses. When singing this for fun I usually go for the over modified vowels like the original singer "Oh, How Ah L-ah-ve Y-oh- " but on this I kept it closer to my own speach.

I had not considered putting this in my song/set list before but if it is worthy I will put more effort into it.

43 minutes ago, MDEW said:

I am pretty much wondering if it is a song I should pursue or drop. I recorded this at night and did not go all out on the volume as the song calls for. That may help with keeping the timbre a little closer between The verses and choruses. When singing this for fun I usually go for the over modified vowels like the original singer "Oh, How Ah L-ah-ve Y-oh- " but on this I kept it closer to my own speach.

I had not considered putting this in my song/set list before but if it is worthy I will put more effort into it.

I liked it man! And now that I know you had to sing soft/light because it was late, I'm more convinced that you should pursue this song and work on it a bit more. Cheers

• Administrator

Cool choice for a cover...

- :48 - on that "you"... open up to "Yuh-uh-ou"... get some resonance into the forward hard palate. Edge this better. Brighten it. Probably a good idea on all these "You"s. It will also greatly improve your intonation. 

- Overall, edge better throughout.... more hard palate, brighter harmonics.

- I think you did a good job capturing the "spacey" interpretation this song needs.

Nice work... way to step up!

• Administrator
5 hours ago, MDEW said:

Don't drop it. Pursue it... you obviously enjoy it and it is well inside your capabilities. It is a good song to work on. Make it better, grow and get better.

Thanks for the feedback. I will make a more serious attempt. I am still working on "House of the Rising Sun" and hope to have it posted soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked it a lot MDEW, really. I like your tone, it feels kind of nostalgic. I would LOVE to know how it sounds in a more Overdrive coordination on the "yes I love you, oh how I love you" verses. If this was indeed a "low energy" take on the song, because it wa late and you couldnt do much noise, I understand.

I've read that you feel your voice feels better using more narrow and smaller vowels, right? Have you tried opening those vowels in a more vertical way?

Thanks Xamedhi, .This was recorded about 1:30 in the morning. I gave it just enough energy to get the notes. I do not think that would have been loud enough to wake anyone but you still kind of lay back when you know people are sleeping.

I am going to rerecord this when I get some loud time. Maybe even rerecord the Bass line a little closer to the original while I am at it.

Nice!  It would be awesome to listen to a full out interpretation of this, man :)  If it was quiet, then I don't really notice. Your voice has enough metal and adduction to make the illusion. I myself need to crank up the intensity to the max to "appear loud" on a recording. Due to my fold gap I don't have that much metal in my voice so I need to really make an effort haha