• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi guys, this is my attempt to sing Sweet Child of Mine (Guns n' Roses). I would like to get some tips on how to improve it, besides more practice, of course. 

Su tienes Cajones grande, bato loco.

Really good effort. You have the range and a great tone for this song. I think the only thing that is causing you some strain is over-articulation. You sound quite a bit more american on this one that you did the Bonnie Raitt song. Mainly because your vowels were cleaner. In fact, the only weak part I could hear was the lowest end. You don' have to sing that low just because Axl does. Sing where it works for you. And did you know that a lot of the singing on the songs, especially harmony parts, was Duff McKagan? He actually started out playing guitar and singing and got into playing bass later.

And, like Duff, you've got a great punk feel in your voice, which I think is cool.

This is a great song for your voice.  You have the right tone and range for this song.  You may want to experiment with the following 

1. More support and compression in the way you render the mid upper range.   
2. Get some distortion on the high notes like 3.03.  You will need to do support and compression for the same and it will have the rocker sound! You do these same sounds in 4:48 for e.g. It will be great if you can get this kind of sound in the high parts of the voice..  

All in all great effort and kudos to take on such a tough song.. 

10 hours ago, ronws said:

Su tienes Cajones grande, bato loco.

Really good effort. You have the range and a great tone for this song. I think the only thing that is causing you some strain is over-articulation. You sound quite a bit more american on this one that you did the Bonnie Raitt song. Mainly because your vowels were cleaner. In fact, the only weak part I could hear was the lowest end. You don' have to sing that low just because Axl does. Sing where it works for you. And did you know that a lot of the singing on the songs, especially harmony parts, was Duff McKagan? He actually started out playing guitar and singing and got into playing bass later.

And, like Duff, you've got a great punk feel in your voice, which I think is cool.

Muchas gracias amigo! lol

It is always those "blessed" vowels! Yeah, that low "were do we go" is a killer. I am under the impression that in the 2nd verse I sounded different than in the 1st, maybe with less twang or compression. I didn't notice while singing, only afterwards. I knew that Duff did the backing vocals, and although I wasn't sure, I always thought he did the low parts. But I had no idea he started as a guitar player and singer. I saw him on TV (Rock and Roll hall of fame ceremony) with his new band. Thanks again man!

10 hours ago, aravindmadis said:

This is a great song for your voice.  You have the right tone and range for this song.  You may want to experiment with the following 

1. More support and compression in the way you render the mid upper range.   
2. Get some distortion on the high notes like 3.03.  You will need to do support and compression for the same and it will have the rocker sound! You do these same sounds in 4:48 for e.g. It will be great if you can get this kind of sound in the high parts of the voice..  

All in all great effort and kudos to take on such a tough song.. 

Thanks a lot for listening Aravind. Regarding tip 1, do you think that is what happened in the 2nd verses, because I noticed it sounds different than the 1st. I'll have to start experimenting with distortion, because sometimes I can do it and don't even know exactly how. I think it depends on the song. In some songs distortion comes more naturally than in others. Don't know why. Thanks so much for the tips my friend.

Hi guys, as Soundcloud took down my file, I am posting an alternate link. I hope you like and can give me some tips on how to improve it. Many thanks in advance, Rock on!

I got a weird sense of Deja-Vu when I clicked on that link......... I am not sure what I wrote in the last timeline but this  time there was some pitchiness around the 3 minute mark. Did you see the video Felipe made about the "Ultimate tip to high voice"?

I cannot remember the exact name of it. Look through the threads in Vocal technique section. He says something about breathing through the nose and a dopey "Hong" kind of sound............Really look up the thread, I suck at explaining things. Anyway, Axle is a perfect example of what Felipe was talking about AND Witches Cackle sound. Be cartoony and "IN the Nose". I think you are allowing a little too much of your natural full voice into this instead of allowing the Honk and Twang take you up the scale.

This is one instance that you want to copy the sound of the original singer.........  At least to help you strengthen the upper notes enough to bring a fuller sound into it later.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

9 hours ago, MDEW said:

I got a weird sense of Deja-Vu when I clicked on that link......... I am not sure what I wrote in the last timeline but this  time there was some pitchiness around the 3 minute mark. Did you see the video Felipe made about the "Ultimate tip to high voice"?

I cannot remember the exact name of it. Look through the threads in Vocal technique section. He says something about breathing through the nose and a dopey "Hong" kind of sound............Really look up the thread, I suck at explaining things. Anyway, Axle is a perfect example of what Felipe was talking about AND Witches Cackle sound. Be cartoony and "IN the Nose". I think you are allowing a little too much of your natural full voice into this instead of allowing the Honk and Twang take you up the scale.

This is one instance that you want to copy the sound of the original singer.........  At least to help you strengthen the upper notes enough to bring a fuller sound into it later.

Hi MDEW, thanks for commenting man! Sorry but you lost me regarding the deja-vu. Do you mean I got the same problem as in the "I can't make you love me" cover? Or are you referring to another attempt of sing Sweet Child? Because this is the 1st time I post this song. The link to Soundcloud was broken because they identified my file as a probable violation of copyrights. So, I renamed the file and re-uploaded it. But it is the same recording.

I completely agree with you regarding the twang, or in this case the lack of it. And I noticed how the 2nd verses became so different than the 1st one. I think it could be that I used even less twang in the 2nd verses, and maybe less fold compression as well. Additionally, I am still working on my distortion to make it more readily available when I need it. Because now, I can do distortions (not the hardcore types) but it varies from song to song. So, I still need to get how I am producing it, so I can use it whenever I want to. 

I will definitely check Felipe's thread oh high notes, thanks for mentioning it.

Cheers

I had a Literal Deja-Vu experience ............... Like you have been here before but know you have not. Hearing the same background noises and seeing the same junk sitting on your table. I view these experiences as a confirmation that I am on my destined path regardless of how bad or good my situation is. Kind of like a mile marker of a life path. Either that or my Meds did not wear off yet.:24:

I never had any problem singing high notes when mimicking Axle. I have problems when trying to sound consistent with my lower notes or sounding "Full and modal" in the upper range. It is like the sound of Johnny Cash to F4 and Axle singing from F#4 to E5.(not exactly, but it is good for an example)

8 hours ago, MDEW said:

I had a Literal Deja-Vu experience ............... Like you have been here before but know you have not. Hearing the same background noises and seeing the same junk sitting on your table. I view these experiences as a confirmation that I am on my destined path regardless of how bad or good my situation is. Kind of like a mile marker of a life path. Either that or my Meds did not wear off yet.

Take it easy, just a little pin-prick. There'll be no more "ahhh!" but you may feel a little sick

Can you stand up? I hear you're feeling down. But I can ease your pain. Get you on your feet again.

There is no pain you are receding. A distant ship's smoke on the horizon ....

:4:

Yeah, At 53 as far as health goes, I am in the PINK, Pretty much all day I am "Comfortably Numb".  No need for meds.......... Life did that to me. :)

9 hours ago, MDEW said:

Yeah, At 53 as far as health goes, I am in the PINK, Pretty much all day I am "Comfortably Numb".  No need for meds.......... Life did that to me. :)

:beerbang:

1 hour ago, Gneetapp said:

Busted! Soundcloud is getting clever! They took down my Sweet Child o Mine cover again! :mellow:

I always add another word to the title or Just give a description instead of using the exact title of the song. If you had it listed as "Sweet Child of Mine" - Guns and Roses............... Yeah you will get busted. I usually would title it something like "Sweet Child of Mine  Practice". Cover of "  ".... something like that.

56 minutes ago, MDEW said:

I always add another word to the title or Just give a description instead of using the exact title of the song. If you had it listed as "Sweet Child of Mine" - Guns and Roses............... Yeah you will get busted. I usually would title it something like "Sweet Child of Mine  Practice". Cover of "  ".... something like that.

Hi MDEW, that is exactly what I always do too: name it as song title vocal practice. They got me once. Then, I re-uploaded the file with a totally different name (Vocalpractice HardRock Mar2016, and they still got me. So, from now on I will be posting my cover songs on the Box server. Cheers

Here is what I don't understand about Soundcloud. I get it, they want to help protect copyright. Here's the deal about copyright. If you buy a karaoke track from a legitimate retailer, you have paid copyright for use of what is basically a pre-master stem. You only have to pay additional royalties if you want to sell that recording of yours as a single or part of an album or collection of songs. Because selling that recording you made involves what is called mechanical rights. (reproduction of the material in a medium to be used by others.

If there is no cost, I don't see what the problem is. 

A company that owns a bar pays a blanket fee to ASCAP to play whatever music on the jukebox or however they are playing music. Because then, the music is part of the environment the owner is "selling" to the public.

I always thought that it was Fair use for educational purposes and Commentary or parody..............Gneetapp, Maybe you are just too good and no one will want to hear the screeching of Axle anymore after they hear you.

3 minutes ago, MDEW said:

I always thought that it was Fair use for educational purposes and Commentary or parody..............Gneetapp, Maybe you are just too good and no one will want to hear the screeching of Axle anymore after they hear you.

Hey MDEW, you may be on to something! ;-p

I always thought so too, regarding the fair use for educational purposes. I think it may be time to stop posting works in progress and do finished/polished recordings and post on youtube :-p

:beerbang: