New to the forum. Cover version of He Ain't Heavy

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Just looking for a fair and honest critique. I do all the mixing myself and was wondering what you think of my voice and the mix. Thanks for the listen.

Frank

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16928236/He_Aint_Heavy?rn=abw8q1thc45c

Nice job! Love that song! Just watch your pitch a little. You sound good especially in the beginning your voice sounded comfortable follow that feeling...

PLEASE CONTACT DANIEL@YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER@GMAIL.COM
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formicahttps://www.youtube.com/user/danformica
Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME. They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

I thought that was really good. Great tone man. If I had one nit picky thing it would be the very last "heavy."

The earlier ones had an "eh" sound on the vowel. "Heavehy" Which sounded good. The last one was too ee for me . "heavee." Maybe it's a personal thing for me and not a problem. Sometimes those things just make my ears perk up :D

Real good. I really liked that.

Man the first phrase won me right away. Very, very nice :D.

Awesome interpreation, and what an awesome tone you have. Since you want a review on the mix, well, there is clipping happening, so try mixing both the vocals and the song at a lower volume on the faders, should help.

Still I would not mind hearing more songs from you mixed like this one, try to fix the clipping but keep the quality for us please :)

There are some small issues regarding technique, are you working with a teacher/coach or on your own?

Congrats man! Now some more songs please :)

Thanks Felipe. I recorded this when I was just getting used to the board I was using. I will make sure to reduce the fader so as not to clip too much. As for technique. No coach here. I started singing when I was 16. That was a long time ago and many bands ago. Never had a coach. Any pointers you want to bring up would be greatly appreciated. I will add another song shortly. I got a million of them;) Thanks again.

Felipe, here is a couple of other tunes I did. Still have some clipping issues as well as technique issues. Please feel free to let me know what you think. It helps to have another set of ears.

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16931631/Walking_In_Memphis?rn=5s65815hm1og

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16931637/NYC_Song

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16928717/Captain_Jack?rn=dumpanqv169s

:) Sounds good. You say you've never had a coach. Did you have someone giving you any tips? Other singers or did you figure things out on your own.

My brother was naturally good. but he would work on one song for hours at a time picking it apart until he got it the way he wanted it to sound. I always had to fight to get a descent sound.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I basically do what your brother does. I have to feel a song though. If I don't feel the song, it could get ugly. I usually sing with emotion. Even when I used to play out, I would have to feel the song to get into it. As for tips, I have always been a pretty good mimic. I would listen to something and replicate it on my own to the way I liked it.

I am a 50 year old beginner who has been singing since grade school. I always stayed in my comfort zone and never figured out how to sing above G4 without sounding like crap. I'm getting better. :P

Glad to have you aboard.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Nice man, Ill give it a listen later :)

On your own! Very cool, your voice is very well developed. Forget the technical details then, as Daniel pointed, aim for that comfort of the beginning and continue the work as you were doing it, it worked so far.

I always advice a teacher/coach, to make it more healthy and fix small details. But if you follow this path, make sure the guy is very good and have a lot of quality on his own voice, at least as much quality as you do, it will narrow down the search and will prevent you from working with someone that tries to tamper too much with your voice.

I have always been a pretty good mimic. I would listen to something and replicate it on my own to the way I liked it.

Wow, how many times have I said this on the forum. Actually I just mentioned this to someone this passed weekend. I was always good at mimicking sounds and people and that's what i did to teach myself to sing through the years. :)

P.S.

I guess this shows how much my recording skills suck. I thought the recording was good! I was wishing I was able to get such a good quality.