So how do you like my mixed voice? "The Kill" by 30 seconds to mars

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, I used to sing this song a lot a few years ago but had no recording equipment. I always remembered it as being easier to sing, lol.

The high part starting at around 2:11 was a struggle, recorded it in 3 separate parts due to fatigue. I can sing this song in one take, but then I have to modify this particular part. Still, decided to leave it like this for you to hear what the high notes sounded like. They were more of an experiment than anything else.

Please share your thoughts ;) Technical or other!

I think it is a very decent cover and you have a lot of room to work with.

Honestly, I think you are going to hurt yourself with that technique. I hear way too much pressure and you are using way more air than you can support. I did that for awhile and I can tell you that it will not last.

Also, on your verses you are dropping the key really low and it sounds like you are using completely different placements. Instead of one connected voice, it sounds like two completely distinct voices. Again, I used to be this exact same way where I could easily sing in bass notes and then change placements and sing Leto's songs.

On a side note, your Kamelot cover was VERY good and the placements were far more consistent.

I really like the emotion you have in your voice. I also agree with ConsumingFire that it doesn´t sound so healthy, but it sure sounds damn good for the most part. Sometimes you sound very close to Tony Harnell if you are familiair with him.

Hey Oldpainless. I can't speak to the techniques these guys are talking about, good, bad, healthy or not healthy....I don't know. Too low on the verses or not one voice....whatever man :D I have no clue, maybe they are right. All I know is that I really like your voice and think it has a great tone for what you are singing. It does sound a little strained on the highest parts and then there is the old pronunciation thing once and awhile (English second language thing) but really good stuff and I would want to listen to more just the way it is now. Well, if I were into that type of music :D

Nice one. If I were out at a club and heard you sing that I would dig it.

Without commenting on how healthy it is (not my specialty)... I was down with that cover for sure. If I heard you performing somewhere, I'd stay and listen.

UPDATE! Please provide feedback for my NEWEST Kodaline High Hopes Practice Cover - http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=10062

My Soundcloud- http://soundcloud.com/bchen929 -
A continuous work in progress, always improving.

Thanks for commenting guys and Jugulator, I have no Idea what note A#4 is :P

When I've done a proper warmup I don't really feel much strain doing this song with less high notes, so I guess it can't be too bad for my voice after all.

I agree with Olem. Great emotion. I could feel the song and that's aces high, in my book.

I don't know what is fatiguing you. That could be a technique issue that I can't determine. You may need a coach for that.

Either that or you suffer from near field effect while recording. How are you monitoring while you record the vocal?

I ask because I used to have the headphones up load and ended up pushing to be heard above that. I learned the hard way to leave one headphone can off, pan hard right, and reduce the volume in that can. And sweeten it a little, by means of less bass. Too much bass can pull you down, as you are trying to follow what you hear.

Just a recording thing I learned. You said you have sang this through in other circumstances and I was wondering if it was just a matter of pushing harder than you do in a live or acoustic setting, rather than monitoring through cans and trying to sing above that.

I couldn't hear any pitch issues, which is a good thing. I think you did well with this song. I don't even know the song but I do, now, through you.

Good stuff, in my opinion.

Thank you Ron, good comment :) I remember singing this with my old band, it felt easier because we were just jammin' and completely letting go, whereas in a recording environment I'm trying to keep proper microphone distance, with the microphone mounted on a stand.

That extra little bit of support I get when I lean forward for the high notes (with the mic in my hands) when singing live might be it. I only cover one ear with my headphones while recording btw, maybe I will try your tip on panning to that ear and turning down the bass :)

I thought it might be a recording and monitoring issue because I have the same problem, at times. I learn things the hard way.

I can do a song live, over my guitar and never have a problem. And would wear myself out when recording. Unless I record live. By live, I mean, one mic, me playing guitar and singing at the same time. Then, I'm not worried about timing or monitor issues. And some of the greatest compliments I get are from such recordings because I am not pushing.

Good luck.

I agree that I feel it. I really enjoy this vocal style but it seems that not many people can do it without ruining their voices -- those that do it well are of course in successful bands!

If you had to record in several takes because you were too fatigued to do it in one go, that suggests that your technique isn't quite ready to really do this song justice. I know the exact feeling you're talking about. You can certain phrases and parts down really well, but it's hard to link together. Just takes time I guess!

It was a little pitchy and strained but I still enjoyed it :)