For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica Cover

Old stuff that I found around here, love this song. Instruments made by an awesome musician that I worked on a few collabs. I think its from 2009.

Here it goes:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1255944

As always, my sincere gratitude to anyone who cares to listen, if possible drop a line :).

• TMV World Legacy Member

Sounds nice man! Technically I have no notes, however I do have some interpretation changes in mind.

The rhythm is at times a bit too staccato I felt, it could have had some "ooohs" and "aahs" in there to dirty it up abit :P

Also, on the chorus it was a bit too precise on the pitchs and vowels. (I am comparing to the original of course, which I'm more used to hearing :)) He usually goes a bit more "gliding" specially on tolls in the chorus. Your way was not wrong, but I think it might to be a bit dirtier to get the true thrash feel.

Good job though!

I do like the sound of your voice Felipe. I wouldn't have any thoughts on technique that you haven't thought of already. :)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I listened to it a total of 4 times. Rather than have just an off-the-cuff review or be guilty of just handing out "good job." Not that my opinion would mean much.

You did this in your own voice (sounds like I am infecting you with that credo.) The reason I listened to it a number of times was because I am used to hearing the James Hetfield version. His is more open and more back. Yours is more forward and sounds a little more closed. I am a big fan of artistic interpretation. So, for my own technical criteria, you had good pitch and what I think was volume relevant to the parts of the song.

And I liked it from an artistic perspective. You sounded more classical than James, though he uses traditional warm-ups and training techniques these days (at least what I saw in the documentary, "Some Kind of Monster.")

It was probably fun for you to do, too, and I am all about that. So, that leaves only aesthetics. Does it sound right for the genre?

I am kind of wishy-washy on that. You don't have a mean-sounding voice. In fact, I had thought of you as a baritone before and found that I was wrong. Yes, I, ronws, admitting for the umpteenth time, I was wrong. Your whole voice is "centered" higher than that of James. Not that we should always compare to the original but it is hard not to do so when you use the same arrangement in approximately the same key.

If I, in my ignorance had to type your voice, I would say that you are something of either a really light baritone or a dramatic tenor, above what I hear in James' voice.

You know, back when I did "Full Moon" by Sonata Arctica, a poster in that thread (not you), said that I should not sing that song unless I could sound just like the original singer. And no one, absolutely no one, drew exception to that, making me think that we should only cover a song if we can sound just exactly like the original singer.

As opposed to covering a song by making it our own in vocal line and arrangement.

Technically, you did a good job, which from me, I guess, is the kiss of death.

To be honest, I think I was more moved by your cover of "Silent Lucidity," even the low part was kind of out of your range.

Jugulator thank you man! Glad you like it

ronws tnx for your words man. About full moon, I dont remember reading that, but its non sense, not to sing metallica or anything, voices are unique, you have to learn how to use yours to fit the song. If I had saw the comment, I would point it as BS as I try to do always. Trying to sound like others is naive

Whats this thing on classifications man? Not even my teacher would classify my voice at the time this was recorded, raw stuff... Dont trip with this stuff, it makes no sense at all!

devaitis hey man thanks! Haha I will try, it will be a great study, awesome song.

Jugulator thank you man! Glad you like it

ronws tnx for your words man. About full moon, I dont remember reading that, but its non sense, not to sing metallica or anything, voices are unique, you have to learn how to use yours to fit the song. If I had saw the comment, I would point it as BS as I try to do always. Trying to sound like others is naive

Yeah, well, I think you simply made your comment and moved on. I'm not going to link, here, this is your thread.

It was not you who said I should only sing that song if I can sound like the original singer. Your main critique was pitchiness, lack of legato, re-learn the basics, get a coach.

And I thought about my review of this song. You did well technically. And I should have left it at that. For you did do this song in your voice and I am always championing that. And yet, gave into the evil of comparing to the original. I think you sing this song better than the original, I just happen to prefer the original, no fault upon you.

Now, how would this song sound as a flamenco or samba? For that, believe it or not, I would have to go to Pat Boone. His album, In a Metal Mood, was laughed off by many, including himself. But he really did some neat big band jazz and rhumba and bossa nova stuff with that.

"Panama" by Van Halen sounded like it was composed in Panama, for example.

Sorry to digress.

Rock on with your bad self.