Please critique my singing at an Open mic (original song)

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is me performing an original song I wrote called "No Good." This is me a few months ago, I am performing this song tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has any advice to improve my singing. Thank you.

Man I watched, its not sounding good... You will need to do some work in there...

The main issue is that you are bringing it low placed and airy, its very harsh on your voice to use it like that, and because of the strain your voice simply can not follow the phrasing and pitch problems come along.

So the answer is seek instruction and study! Good Luck!

You are trying to overdo the amount of "character" with the breathy effect without having the basics in place first to have the right amount of control. Start singing simpler stuff first.

You are in tune, which is good.

The desk or amp is overloading, and so the sound turns to mush quit a lot. Maybe need better amplification, and also some compression and some EQ.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

:cool:Thank you everyone for listening this was 10 months ago and I have a vocal coach now so I’m working on getting better, that’s why I’m here too lol. I have a few general questions from everyone’s comments, there not sarcastic I just really don't know much about music theory so bare with me.

I don’t understand how I can I be singing in tune yet have pitch problems, can anyone elaborate? And if I am in tune I guess I have to work on my volume and just singing out, which comes with getting control by training?

@FelipeCarvalho Thanks for listening, what do you mean low placed? I’m singing too low or putting to much pressure on my vocals so I strain? Please elaborate so I can work on it thanks again!

@JustinOthersinger Thanks man I tried it! I will work on it and I have sent you an email so you could send me some clips. I never noticed but your right when I strain, which Is often, you can see it in my eyebrows.

@guitargeorge, thanks George, what do mean I have to start with basics, do you mean I have to sing more and I’m using too much breathy character kind of thing?

Thanks again everyone!

One thing leads to another. You are basically in tune. Singing breathy, sending too much air over the cords. This may be from the feeling you are trying to convey for the song. The character. Also from this the low placement, The sound is more in your mouth than in your head. Certain vowels lead to different placements and can bring the pitch up and down, so you are basically in tune but occasionally your pitch is off. Not way off.

These are all things that can be fixed. If you have a teacher now, you will understand soon what we have been telling you. Small things can make big improvements.

Over all not bad. Just little things to help you.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I didn't have a problem with it, at all. Blues is about attitude and tone, and you've got it. And you work with the comfortable range of your voice. Cause it's not about acrobatics, it's about the feel of the song. You're young, so you could be the next Kenny Wayne Shepherd or Johnny Lang. Light in the voice like Robert Cray but a phrasing like Buddy Guy.