Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, everyone!

This is the first recording I share with you. I'm a full-fledged newbie. I've just been studying proper vocal technique for about a month and a half, but I've been singing for fun for almost two years. I think that, considering that I am just recently learning properly, my voice is... decent. I still have a long way to go, I know. I still cannot control belting the high notes, especially that A4 that has eluded me for years and that B4 (in "telling her secrets won't TAKE them away) that... well, is beyond me right now :( I am a baritone, so I have a hard time switching to the so-called 'mixed voice'. I am working hardly on that.

Please tell me any areas of technique and expression (and production and mixing) that you think I can improve and how I can improve them.

Any word of encouragement is highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance, guys. :)

EDIT: Since everyone told me that my vocals were buried deep under the mix, I mixed the recording once again. Here is the new link for the cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJsAUZTEgFo

Sounds like you are trying too hard, especially if you are going for a LaBrie type registration. I'd back off a little to start. There are some pitchy places, but overall, sounds very good for a beginner. You obviously have some work to do, just like the rest of us lol.

PS I am having a hard time differentiating your voice from James lol - email me for a karaoke track for this song at keith_goehner@yahoo.com.

www.drop-head.com

Thanks a lot for your feedack, Keith.

Yeah, that's what I've been working on this week. Backing off, I mean, trying to hit those high notes more gently in mixed voice. I've been practicing my mixed voice over songs like Solitary Shell, Strange Déjà Vu or About to Crash. It's just that I accustomed myself to sing with that distorted or gritty voice, so it really seems like I'm straining myself a little bit on my high register because it takes a lot of effort to add distortion to my pathetic head voice, so I automatically turn to belting. Practicing over those songs that don't require distortion has been helping me to develop a decent clean voice. I also lack a lot of control in the pitch of my high register.

As for the track, I bought it from Jammit. You can find there many Dream Theater tracks to work with. The tracks are a little bit pricey, but they help a lot with practice.

Again, thanks a lot!

Oh, I think I misunderstood your last statement haha. ¬¬ (Sorry, English is not my first language)

I am having a hard time differentiating your voice from James, etc.

There is no James in this track, just Karl. It may be because of the effects I used on Audition or my backing vocals which are not precisely good enough. I don't know how to mix well, either :(

Not bad Karl. One of my DT favs. I like the rasp you're getting on your voice. Nice weight, nice compression, and you've got the phrasing and feel down pretty well. A little pitchy in spots.

It would be nice if you boosted the highs on your vocals to match the mix of the the backing tracks. Try putting a high shelf of about 3db at 5k or so. And bring up the overall vocals a couple db as your vocals are a little back in the mix.

Thanks for your recommendations, geno. I'll be sure to try them to get a better mix.

Staying in key has always been one of my main problems :o

I can get most notes right, but I always screw up somewhere. I sure need some ear training.

I agree with everyone else that posted. Good tone. Too low in the mix and increace the highs in the vocals to make your vocals stand out. The pitch issue is not because it is out of your range. You just need to practice those phrases a little more to work things out and make them automatic.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Thank you all for your recommendations. I uploaded another mix to YouTube. If it's not much to ask, would you be so kind to listen to it again and tell me that you think about this new mix?

I inserted it into the first post. Thank you once again.

I came into this one kind of late. I like how you did this song.

I didn't hear the previous mix but this sounded good. I don't care if you sound like LaBrie, or not. Nor should you, in my opinion. Be inspired by the song, be inspired by the singer, sing in your voice.

And yes, the key to a stronger mid-range is more subtle than you think. Think of the note as a small thing and let it get to the resonant space that amplifies it.