Please review&critique my singing : Halford - Resurrection

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi everyone,

I am still testing twang and different distortions. I am slowly narrowing down my findings to 2 distortions ; Rattle and what seems to be Distortion - although I am not sure yet.

They are both comfortable and do not compromise my voice *

I have done the song Resurrection in what I believe is :

1. (Fairly) Clean + Twang or MLN (?).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1781520/Vocals/Rob%20Halford%20-%20Resurrection%20%28Clean%29.mp3

2. Distortion (?) an octave lower.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1781520/Vocals/Rob%20Halford%20-%20Resurrection%20%28Low%29.mp3

3. Rattle (?).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1781520/Vocals/Rob%20Halford%20-%20Resurrection%20%28Rattle%29.mp3

4. Distortion (?) which is my favorite - although it does tend to fall back on rattle (?).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1781520/Vocals/Rob%20Halford%20-%20Resurrection%20%28Dist%29.mp3

5. A combination of rattle (?) & distortion (?).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1781520/Vocals/Rob%20Halford%20-%20Resurrection%20%28New%29.mp3

Again, these are my observations and would like to hear what you think these effects are - plus any additional criticisms you might have.

Thanks in advance,

Thanos

PS. Most of the original vocals have been removed along with most of the center channel info but most parts are without music at all.

PS2. If on mac/safari, you'll need safari 5 to view this link.

*as the voice in my "What kind of technique am I using in this distorted vocal ?" (http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=1044) post for example.

EDIT : I got an answer from my cvi teacher and clip #4 is not distortion, it's rattle in neutral with lots of twang and no air - so rattle in mln.

Therefore, all of the above clips that are referred to as distortion are in fact rattle.

I liked #1 because it was clean and I like clean stuff.

But I also really liked #5. In spite of what sounded like muddy vowels. I liked the timbre, though it played havoc with me hearing clear vowels. But I think you hit higher pitches. I also liked the beginning where you can show off the extent of your range. Your's in fact, is bigger than mine. I don't think I can go quite that low, at least not with some convincing volume.

Number 2 was also good because, at lower octaves, we often have better control over sound effects. But I agree with your other takes. This is a high range song, to be true to the intent of the Metal God.

I think Halford would have sang it like #1 as a young man (look at the JP stuff up to Sad Wings of Destiny.) By that album and most certainly by British Steel, He was lowering stuff 1/2 to 1 whole octave in order to use more vocal effect and to bring melodies down to where fans and audience could sing along, which provides greater audience connection to the music. As an older man, he might be prone to drop some octaves here and there, not because he is getting old but because more varied music becomes appealing rather than the same droning tone in one octave for 5 minutes. Plus, with greater control over effects, it allows greater epxression in a piece.

Slash was trying to impart this wisdom to Adam Lambert on "American Idol" when they were rehearsing "Whole Lotta Love." That there are some beautiful tones to be had at some of the lower ends of even an upper range.

Just for giggles, might you re-arrange some of the vocal melody at some lower octaves, here and there and save the high part for chorus? For example, in middle range, "get me out of this goddam hole..." and then high range "Ressurection.."

I liked your arrangements and only ask this as if I were experimenting with a dish. For example, let say you liked my mashed sweet potatos. Well, now, try them again with the cajun seasoning I use. (That is how I came up with my own recipe for cajun mashed sweet potatos.) A different sonic effect that might yield some surprising results.

And you could use different effects at different ranges. This helps the listener identify sections of the song. Also, it provides contrast and juxtaposition. For example, middle range with some distortion or rattle or both. High parts piercingly clean, like the devil singing one part and an angel singing another part.

Ronws thanks a lot for taking the time to listen to all the clips.

Can you please define "muddy vowels" ? Are you referring to a wrong pronunciation or loosing the center of the mode(s) in vowel pronunciation ?

About Halford, I just think he just didn't pay attention to his health and all the drug (cocaine) and alcohol (vodka) abuse caught up with him, although his midrange still sounds fantastic.

I might re-arrange it at some point and implement the changes you mentioned just for kicks, why not ?

Thanks again for your answer

Awesome tiger to grab by the tail akarawd!You are kicking ass!! I agree with ronws on the clean stuff for this example for sure. I am by no means a vocal expert or a teacher in any way. I did belt out Priest tunes in my younger stage days and understand how you are dancing on the edge of what works and what doesn't with this. In my mind ..I would try to think of the effects as icing on something already able to deliver on its own. I always found it more times than not...a bad idea to sing to effects (because in live situations-things happen and you may not have that effect the way you want it when you need it)

On that basis alone I approach the way I chose to flavor what I do for an end product. The vocal part 1st. The effects secondary.

:)

Thanks a bunch for the comment Rawg71, I'm really glad you liked it.

Got me a bit confused with the "effects" ; are you referring to reverb/delay or distortion/rattle ?

If you'd like to listen to any of these clips without any rev/dly just let me know.

Also, if you ever get the time, could please let me know what you think of #4 which is my favorite ?

Thanks again, I appreciate your contribution.

Thank you for listening Jens. #4 is my favorite too - I tend to think it's a better interpretation 'cause this particular song kinda needs that edge.

I strongly believe that emotions distort our perception, therefore, I was a bit skeptical about this distortion (?) - is it convincing or am I

just excited I produced some after 15 years ? No complaints so far, so in all probability others are hearing what I believe I'm hearing.

Thanks again.

Hey akarawd, Now that I re read what I wrote I can see the thought of rev/delay in it...haha...with that said....I guess it applies to it all. On #4...I love the arrangement ..and like I said before you are kicking some serious arse being up here taking on this range. So here is my thought. Build solid foundation with the song in the way it is most comfortable for you. Aim for comfort with note strength and the proper articulation of the lyrics 1st. With this comfort..the ability to play with the distortions and rattle will come. Kinda hard for me to explain it...but for me...when I know I have owned a certain song...and can nail it completely comfortably...then I find myself adding to it and coloring it with effect. In this range even more so....because pushing for an effect can sound forced and lead to a vocal "blowout" so to speak if you aren't coming from a comfortable place to address it. I know you can recognize when a singer is or isn't in his or her comfort zone. Keep up the killer work man....looking forward to hearing more.:)

Thanks Rawg71 and you're absolutely right in what you're saying about 1st owning the song and then adding dist etc.

The thing is I kinda thought I had this song - are you hearing the strain in all clips/parts ?

I feel great comfort when singing it and the distortions (especially #4) are not taxing to the voice but if all parts sound strained or out of my range it's important that I know.

In the clean version I opted for neutral without it sounding mellow and in the distorted versions it may sound like I'm about to tear my throat apart

but it's not so at all, it's just a noise I place over my singing voice.

I find your input really important - it makes me "see" what I do from a different point of view and therefore understand my possible mistakes.

Thanks again, I appreciate it

And I agree with Jens. I liked 4 the most. Take number 1, the clean one, was my second favorite. You might want to use both styles alternatively. But most likely in this song, it would make most sense to use method number 4 (distortion) throughout, at least on the high notes. Very cool, man :)

Hey Akarawd...again...I will reinforce the fact you are kicking serious ass here. I am hearing the strain before your break around 2:00 and above on #4. It is important to remember when you hear these type songs done by the original singers live...it is usually old hat to them... literally they are singing the song for the high hundreds or 1000th+ time. If I was a qualified teacher....I could point you in the direction of a certain exercise...but to me....the song is the best exercise. Again...you are doing an insane job...I would also like to hear a mix of you pushed back a bit into the mix of the music more. It easy to hear moments that wouldn't normally be noticed in a regular mix. You rock man \m/

Hi,

I actually like them ALL. They show a different approach and sound to the same song! Kudos to you for doing all this work and showing it to us.

I also try and 'own' the song before I attempt different approaches and sounds to add flavour.

I especially like #5 because it shows different octaves. This is very interesting and I thank you for posting it.

You sound awesome on all of them. Keep up the great work!

cheers!

aka,

re-listened to your old sample of the "bad" distortion. Can definitely hear night and day difference in the "centering" of the tone. Just curious what you worked on to get the centered healthy sounding tone in your samples above(even the two distortions clips sound very centered.)

Could be a big help to people who are interested in this genre(and having trouble with it.)

Hey Akarawd...again...I will reinforce the fact you are kicking serious ass here. I am hearing the strain before your break around 2:00 and above on #4. It is important to remember when you hear these type songs done by the original singers live...it is usually old hat to them... literally they are singing the song for the high hundreds or 1000th+ time.

Correct, but only if they're using good technique. Some of them are, so because of that, and also because they've been singing like that for so long, it's relatively easy for them. But some singers sing in that style with incorrect technique and really force those sounds and constrict their throats and still keep on going despite their throat hurting all the time. They also usually have shorter careers. I just wanted to point out that some singers that sing in this style ARE in fact thrashing their throats. Keep up the good work, Akarawd! :)

Hey Akarawd...again...I will reinforce the fact you are kicking serious ass here. I am hearing the strain before your break around 2:00 and above on #4. It is important to remember when you hear these type songs done by the original singers live...it is usually old hat to them... literally they are singing the song for the high hundreds or 1000th+ time. If I was a qualified teacher....I could point you in the direction of a certain exercise...but to me....the song is the best exercise. Again...you are doing an insane job...I would also like to hear a mix of you pushed back a bit into the mix of the music more. It easy to hear moments that wouldn't normally be noticed in a regular mix. You rock man \m/

Rawg71, thanks for clearing this up, I totally understand now. The break at 2:00, yes, I should have taken a bit of time to iron out points like that.

I will be more diligent in the future. And you're right about pushing the voice back in the mix, that changes things totally, if we heard some pro metal vocal tracks on their own we'd be in shock, I know from experience.

Thanks again, I totally appreciate your input and attention to detail, it means a lot.

Hi,

I actually like them ALL. They show a different approach and sound to the same song! Kudos to you for doing all this work and showing it to us.

I also try and 'own' the song before I attempt different approaches and sounds to add flavour.

I especially like #5 because it shows different octaves. This is very interesting and I thank you for posting it.

You sound awesome on all of them. Keep up the great work!

cheers!

Thanks a bunch Michelle, I'm glad muting the music made things clearer. Cheers.

aka,

re-listened to your old sample of the "bad" distortion. Can definitely hear night and day difference in the "centering" of the tone. Just curious what you worked on to get the centered healthy sounding tone in your samples above(even the two distortions clips sound very centered.)

Could be a big help to people who are interested in this genre(and having trouble with it.)

I'm shocked at the difference too analog, to be honest with you there's a very fine line between the production of the two distortions.

Only one brings you to a healthy distortion and the other just rips you apart.

What I practiced on was ex.210 from the cvt book. I did that for about a week - always using warm up&down. I must admit I should have spend more time on finding and taming the noise - I need to get back to that. Slowly I added vowels to the noise and stopped if I ever felt any kind of strain or tickling sensation. By stopped I mean I kept on doing warm down&up exercises. Applying twang or raising the larynx (moving the larynx is sth I've spent years of practice on) helped immensely. At some point I produced donald duck's voice which was hilarious. When doing the "rattle" the uvula vibrates fast and feels like there's phlegm at the back of the throat. "

EDIT : I got an answer from my cvi teacher and clip #4 is not distortion, it's rattle in neutral with lots of twang and no air - so rattle in mln.

Anyway , what you hear now is my progress so far. I also found that in the beginning, producing this effect is easier on higher registers - even if you use a light head voice as your basis. I am not quite sure if it's distortion or rattle (or another effect) but I am slowly working on it. One last thing I'd like to say is that if I can do it - even at this preliminary stage - anybody can. I've "sang" - more like shouted - clean all my life and my singing voice still needs serious work. If this doesn't help please let me know. Cheers man.