Deep Purple - Highway star part1

• TMV World Legacy Member

I think you should do the full version. One bit of advice, I think you should lighten up on the high notes. I think you are trying to carry too much weight and it's robbing you of some tone that would be awesome.

And what is it with multiple posts? I think the forum software must have a slight bump to make it do that.

Quentin

OK, nice try, and not a bad quality recording either.

Opening scream is fab, well done - it's way above my range.

Your pronunciation of "Everything" seems to be a bit short changed/rushed.

You should perhaps lighten up on some words, especially at the end of lines which are sound a bit over emphasised to me, such as "break the speed of SOUND", "get her to the END"

The really high bits around 1'43 you aren't hitting the note pitches spot on, and are sort of sliding into them, which isn't quite right.

Having said that - it's a jolly good effort!

Ron - I don't see the multiple posts you referred to? I like the avatar. Now that you have made subject made expert, should I tug my forelock sir?

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

^ Hey George, when I logged in, it looks like Quentin posted multiple topic threads for this song.

As far as my avatar, which one? The current one or the dog pic I had just before? I think my dog looks better. And he sings opera (with the ads on the telly.)

• Administrator

Quentin I agree with Ron... the verses are too heavy. This is going to make you tired, especially on this song. Is that why you didn't record the entire thing, because you were getting tired from the constriction?  Sound color, it is also too heavy. This is also why its flirting with being flat.

The screams lack compression and have almost no anchoring. For someone that is really big on belting right now, there is no musculature on these notes, they lean well into the falsetto spectrum.

Try singing it with more upper palette, brighter harmonics... and twang harder as well.  Frankly, this could benefit from some "top-down" development attention.

Yeah, the "I love it, I need it" isn't near as ballsy as what I'd like to hear, and the verses are heavy enough that I know you could do better.

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

• Administrator

Welcome Khassara... cool photo.   How is your Pillars training coming along?

BTW guys,... Ill be filming about three new belting and "bottom-up" lecture / demonstration videos on Thursday for the system.

Quentin I agree with Ron... the verses are too heavy. This is going to make you tired, especially on this song. Is that why you didn't record the entire thing, because you were getting tired from the constriction?  Sound color, it is also too heavy. This is also why its flirting with being flat.

The screams lack compression and have almost no anchoring. For someone that is really big on belting right now, there is no musculature on these notes, they lean well into the falsetto spectrum.

Try singing it with more upper palette, brighter harmonics... and twang harder as well.  Frankly, this could benefit from some "top-down" development attention.

I wish I had said that but I am glad you did. It's like I could almost feel or see his larynx shooting up too high.

Welcome Khassara... cool photo.   How is your Pillars training coming along?

BTW guys,... Ill be filming about three new belting and "bottom-up" lecture / demonstration videos on Thursday for the system.

Thanks Robert! I've done some random workouts here and there. It's going great, even though it's a bit different than what I'm used to. :)

Quentin, it sounds like your higher register is "separate" from your lower register. You gotta hammer at those connecting notes to smooth the passagio, and it has to be as effortless as possible. I dunno if you own Pillars, but "The Hero," I feel, is a great exercise for steamrolling the passagio.

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

This song is particularly difficult for me because of all that staccato that i think makes me slam on the words too harshly.

It doesn't tire me as much as it would hamper me from doing the song whole, but there is definitely a healthier way to do it.

I will work on it more lightly and see where it goes!

Rob is the expert on this one. He will get you there. I think it was still a good effort and better than I could do in this style. I do want to praise some of the phrasing and 'swing' in your version from an artistic standpoint. 

I felt like you had a push/pull dynamic in your phrasing, how you placed the words in the meter, that really 'propelled' the song and gave it an energy I don't feel from the original song. The original song was sung technically with a style you're probably looking for, but rhythmically the original felt a bit 'stock' or 'square' to me so it never caught my ears as someone who listens more to soul/jazz/funkier stuff more than this style of music.

So yeah, I feel like here is something special in the way you approached the song and this style pretty much demands that you learn a really efficient technique (unless you're a woman) to preserve your voice. So take Rob's advice, but know there is also something uniquely 'you' in this recording that I personally prefer.