John Legend - All Of Me Challenge

• TMV World Legacy Member

Had to run it acapella, mic is being strange and couldn't get the levels correct.

https://app.box.com/s/xwgy9gr0kkqmqnhlp0x1

Off in areas but couldn't be bothered to iron out the mistakes.

EDIT

Added REVERB and ECHO for the lulz

https://app.box.com/s/sxbfq99getsxje923ra4pu5tc5iu7a1x

"Those Who Reach, Touch the Stars" - Michael Jackson

www.youtube.com/JordanPassTV
www.facebook.com/IAmJordanpass
www.soundcloud.com/jordanpass

Thank you very much :)

I was thinking I need to add just a little bit of meat into my voice, I just feel it lacks it slightly.

I was thinking I need to add just a little bit of meat into my voice, I just feel it lacks it slightly.

This was a good attempt here you have one of the most suited voices here for tackling this song conventionally but I think you're right.

The timbre is pretty good overall, but I've heard you with a bit more resonance before. This is so quiet and closed it almost sounds hmmm.... Like vocal fryish.

It's like I hear every glottal attack almost with every onset, like 'click' then note. it doens't quite gel with the otherwise smoothness in your vocal delivery. I think it's just because it's so quiet and small that you hear the onset so clearly.

You could try an invisible H, but if I were to try to sing in this style and have body at this volume, I can't imagine picturing it working in my voice. So yeah, I think you should try your idea. It doesn't have to be a push, but just some kind of resonance volume.

This was a good attempt here you have one of the most suited voices here for tackling this song conventionally but I think you're right.

The timbre is pretty good overall, but I've heard you with a bit more resonance before. This is so quiet and closed it almost sounds hmmm.... Like vocal fryish.

It's like I hear every glottal attack almost with every onset, like 'click' then note. it doens't quite gel with the otherwise smoothness in your vocal delivery. I think it's just because it's so quiet and small that you hear the onset so clearly.

You could try an invisible H, but if I were to try to sing in this style and have body at this volume, I can't imagine picturing it working in my voice. So yeah, I think you should try your idea. It doesn't have to be a push, but just some kind of resonance volume.

Yeah my onsets are very glottal, currently trying to get out of pushing like crazy on those higher notes so I've started trying to lighten up and pull away from pulling up chest.

I've always had very sharp onsets though that I'm going to try and rectify.

I'll post another version tomorrow hopefully, rather late when I recorded.

Your accent goes nicely with that MJ-style softness.

Inspirational flexibility and vibrato my man. I can only hope that my journey of lightening my low/harsh speaking voice goes as well as yours did.

Thanks guys

Time to add some beef and get rid of these glottal attack onsets.

See you soon

I really like your tone - and it would be interesting to hear your version with the added beef.

I think it already sounds good cause I usually prefer lighter voice with ballads.

A little pitchy in places and no clean head voice because I'm a little sick :'(

https://app.box.com/s/cvxkhaja8b35z0caqwtebq9zxyc1y7gj

I'd like to learn how to hit the all of me in a more full tone like this

D.Starr, When you get around to singing this for real with the backup it will sound awesome.

Any little wobbles and such right now are because you are recording quick and not really concentrating because it is just a quick example.

I really like the tone that you have to your voice. Let's hear the whole song with proper backing.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Had to run it acapella, mic is being strange and couldn't get the levels correct.

https://app.box.com/s/xwgy9gr0kkqmqnhlp0x1

Off in areas but couldn't be bothered to iron out the mistakes.

EDIT

Added REVERB and ECHO for the lulz

https://app.box.com/s/sxbfq99getsxje923ra4pu5tc5iu7a1x

That sounds really good, man. I'm usually not a big fan of too much "flutter" (idk what it's called, english is my second language) styles, where the singer changes the notes with great speed to add colour. To me it usually sounds sort of fake. However, there are a few exceptions and in your case I thoroughly enjoyed listening to every second and it just felt real. Definitely envy the agility you have.

Thank you very much OldPainless. The flutters always seem nastural to me, think it's something I've worked into my style :)

Yeah I fully understand what you mean MDEW, I'll hopefully get round to doing it the backing track, not very savvy when it comes to mixing vocals and track beds that's all.

• 3 weeks later...