Cat's in the Cradle Harry Chapin acoustic guitar and vocal

• TMV World Legacy Member
1 hour ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Let's see if we can get some fathers misty eyed hahahaha... really beautiful tune with great lyrics and most importantly for me, very easy in my range.  Enjoy

http://picosong.com/DzJh/

Great timbre Jeremy! I love this song, man! And you really did it justice! I don't have any technical advice for you, only to record it seriously with separate tracks and metronome, you know, the whole nine yards. So, you have such a bright timbre that I bet you are a tenor, although you may not know yet how to access your high notes. I was wondering how you got the effect on the voice, if it was doubling (recorded twice x copied and pasted with offset) or a really short delay. I also liked the part when you added the keys. Great job! Put it on your set list:bang:

Yeah the mix could be much better but I'm working with some lo-fi setup right now, unfortunately it's really hard to record good quality piano with my current mic as well which sucks because I'd do more piano stuff if the quality wasn't so average.  I got that effect by double tracking the voice like I did in the John Lennon cover, just two separate takes all the way through.  

And yes I believe I am a tenor in terms of timbre, but my range is so small at the moment I may as well be called baritone haha.  Thanks for listening. :)  It's definitely going on the set list.. and when Ron arrives, probably the backyard barbecue jam list as well. :) 

cPOh14H.png

I really liked it. And I want to say that the folky rock and southern fried rock and assorted outlaw country and stuff is really good in your voice.

side note: my wife and I know a guy in Austin who has been singing all over the state for decades. A guy named "Shake" Russell. He actually helped Clint Black craft "Nothing but the taillights" when Clint was unknown. Anyway. so Shake sounds just like Harry Chapin. I have expected him to sing this song.

Another side note: I have been working on an original song for quite some time. And even have entertained the notion of making it a three-way singing thing between myself, you, and MDEW. We may not be able to get together for brisket but we can sing about it if I ever get it finished. Kind of medium shuffle with a ZZ Top kind of turn-around in the riff.

And another side note: back in the 90's, I auditioned for as a singer for a band called XLR8, headed by a guy named George Chapin, one of Harry's nephews. I ended up not getting the gig. They took back their old singer because he coughed up some recording eqiupment they were needing. That band didn't go as far as the previous band George was in, which was called Silverado, a locally known band that was big around here for a while.

• Administrator

I already heard this before and I thought I made a post.. guess my phone rang.

Jeremy I LOVE the way you do these classics!  It is unique in the RMS experience and I think in a small way, it says something about your character... something good. I like you.

I think you singing was good on this, but... Im curious why the vocals are doubled. It is a bit of a distraction to me and I wonder if it is necessary? I would prefer to just hear your voice. That being said...

There is a lot more color and character you can put into this that your missing, but capable of adding. Interpretation, and understanding the palette of characters you can add to your singing is something you need to practice for it to become intuitive. Something I do a lot with my students when we are coaching songs.

On your next lesson, lets work on this tune... be warmed up and help us to save some time.

Also,

When you post your reviews... does Picosong have an embed widget code? If so, we would prefer that you embed the player, instead of redirecting out to their site. Like soundcloud, box.net or YouTube does. It is NOT a big issue, but if it is only a matter of copy and pasting code in here versus a link, lets do that.  If you are not clear on how to do that... you just copy the code from the provider... come back to your post editor and click on "source"... source opens up the code that is sitting behind the text... you paste in the embed code , INSIDE THE SOURCE TAB, then turn "source" off, and you'll see the magic... 

Hey thanks Robert, in hindsight I agree with the criticisms about the double tracking.  In the end I was not pitch perfect on both takes so it just messed up a good thing a bit, but I'd be more than happy to work on this tune next time we work together.  As far as the picosong thing goes, I don't think they offer an embed link otherwise I'd do the trick you are suggesting.  Thanks for your time.  

cPOh14H.png

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good Jeremy, I have to agree with everything Robert said.

Just use a single vocal line(unles adding harmonies of course).

The character thing he was talking about is adding prosody or rather when the lyrics are making a statement sing it like you are making a statement and when the lyrics form a question sing it like you are asking a question. Add emotional content to the singing.

In a song like this you are telling a story AND acting out the lyrics with voice. Vocal technique is only part of singing and performing.

Keep up the good work. I really like your singing. Add this one to your list. Soon you will have enough to perform two or three sets in public...........then the fun really starts.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Thank you both very much, REALLY cool to see you stop by as well Felipe I appreciate the hell out of it man. :) 

MDEW, I do try to connect and project the story as well as I can but obviously I still am working on conveying lyrical content better and better.  In a way it's sort of an acting thing, you gotta really be able to make it convincing.  Cheers all

cPOh14H.png

Hi Jeremy, I always love your tone. You probably are a tenor or a very high baritone. Jack Black is an example of a tenor who does a good job of covering his tone and darkening it up a bit and I would say you probably would be able to do that as well. I enjoyed this version but most intimate type songs do sound best with just a single lead vox. It didn't ruin anything for me but I would love to hear a single vox mix of this song :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • TMV World Member
On 9/24/2016 at 7:22 PM, Jeremy Mohler said:

Thanks a lot man, I actually still had the project files so I just removed everything but the guitar and voice original track. http://picosong.com/TKma/

Overall it was good.  Liked all of it, really liked some of it.  I can see what you're getting at.  The badummdahdumm parts you should sing those harder not lighter imo.