Dream Theater - Wither - Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

here is one just riddled with vocal issues. I found out just how difficult it is to sing a high yet controlled note WITHOUT power. If I sing the chorus with power, it's easy. Singing it soft is a whole other ball game.

Also, sorry about the quality - I'm still messing with my recording settings.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11845578&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

It sounded REALLY good until the chorus, then things started to get a little warbly. Have you tried focusing your further up into your mask? Makes those high notes a lot easier. Also, you seem to be closing off at the end of words like "wither" too early, think of it more like "withaaaaah", it'll make the tone much better.

Overall, pretty stinkin good. :)

Heard it yesterday at night man.

Although I do see some important pieces of technique starting to kick in, I have to say I dont like it. The problems are disrupting the line too much. For this song, not working yet.

I like the recording quality, sounding quite nice and cristal clear.

Having read your disclaimer, and Felipe's criticism, I was expecting something far more abominable...:P Sure, I can see you point, and where Felipe is coming from, but I still enjoyed it all the same. I just dig your tone in general man, consider me a fan haha. Probably on the quieter high bits your struggling with....it may be one of those cases where it's more simple/easier than it seems, when you just relax into it and stop trying. And that there is potentially the most vague, unqualified advice you'll ever receive ;) Keep 'em coming man.

I thought it was mostly good...sorry about the mostely :) The singing was good most of the song but just a tad weaker on the higher parts than the lower. I think you're getting closer to matching the strength of your middle and lower voice to your higher. Closer than other songs in the past. Although this wasn't that high, as I've heard you sing higher.

The word "let' (twice in the song) seemed a little weak.

But that is nit picking. Over all it was a good job. 8 out of 10. :D

Awesome I love your sound. I think the reason the chorus sounded off wasn't your note but the vibrato was a hair off from the backup singers. You did way better than you think you did.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Well, Keith, you said in the first post, the point was to sing the higher notes softer than how you normally sing.

Something you found challenging. Plus, you have a different voice type than LaBrie, in my opinion. So, I was not expecting a close copy.

But I liked it. I thought I heard some disparity between lead and backing vocals but I think that is more likely a a post-recording mixing thingy. As you said, this was not your best editing work. And for a work in progress, it is good.