Hi Everyone: Anyone like Iron Maiden/Judas Priest?

• TMV World Legacy Member

I'm in an Iron Maiden/Judas Priest tribute and we just finished up recording a demo. Here's our version of Wasted Years: http://rhzenvironmental.com/WastedYears.mp3

Here's a short clip of fun power metal singing: http://rhzenvironmental.com/roadclip.mp3

I love classical music, and am more than a bit surprised that the only successful studio recordings have come when I've sung like those clips.. though.. I love the strat range and have been doing that forever.

Anyways.. would love some feedback... big question: Why is this style of singing more successful than when I've sung this stuff clean?

Live, I sing the maiden clean and it goes over well. But it sounded uninspired and well.. like crap in the studio.. lmao..

Help!!!

Hi Aldertae, the wasted years cover is pretty good! I found you to be constrained just a little bit on the high notes, but other wise it was a very good cover! Of course Bruce is not some one easy to touch, but I think you did a good job!

I didnot understand your question in the end...

Fahim

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

I tend to feel some kind of reaction from the audience when I add a little grit here and there. Don't know why, I guess people like grit :) Also, I feel it's best to not have it on all the time. Good singing, dude!

• Administrator

Uh ya! I pretty much grew up on Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Rob Halford and Bruce Dickenson are major inspirations to me, where it not for those guys... add to that, Geoff Tate, Ray Alder (fates warning) & Steve Perry... I would not be doing what I do today. In fact, what I consider my expertise,,, helping singers to bridge the vocal break and build head tones that are really amazing... Im over simplifying here... my voice pedagogy would not be what it is today. It is the pursuit of learning how to get amazing range and head tones that has lead me to where I am today... but the spark was lit by Rob Halford as a teenager... Anyways... YOUR VOICE IS GREAT... I would love to train with you,,, Keep it up!

Thanks everyone... your words are too kind and very accurate (especially about the top.. I need to relax more)

I just hope to be able help create some beautiful music. From Angra to Maiden, from Rhapsody to Priest, it's all good to me...

I'm a huge fan of operatic tenors.. and have pretty much a 0% chance of ever doing that hahaha. :)

• TMV World Member

Thanks everyone... your words are too kind and very accurate (especially about the top.. I need to relax more)

I just hope to be able help create some beautiful music. From Angra to Maiden, from Rhapsody to Priest, it's all good to me...

I'm a huge fan of operatic tenors.. and have pretty much a 0% chance of ever doing that hahaha. :)

aldertate: If you ever have an interest to know how an operatic tenor makes those sounds... post a query here. We have some folks that could tell you.

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

Ah! mes amis is my dream aria! Mattinata, Mamma, Ingemisco, etc... are all faves as well. Bjorling's Carnegie Hall Recital, and Wunderlich's song cycles (Die Schone mullerin and Dichterliebe) are some of my favorite recordings of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

About time a REAL Metal vocalist F&%king brilliant Q: how long can you keep it going as my band do all sorts of covers from Maidens two minutes to midnight to Panteras Cowboys from Hell and normaly play for 2 houres then cary on for about 30 mins when they want more, after that i'm bushed.

well done would like to hear more :cool:

About time a REAL Metal vocalist F&%king brilliant Q: how long can you keep it going as my band do all sorts of covers from Maidens two minutes to midnight to Panteras Cowboys from Hell and normaly play for 2 houres then cary on for about 30 mins when they want more, after that i'm bushed.

well done would like to hear more :cool:

Glad you liked them.. the gritty stuff is primarily just a studio style, to capture more energy, cause I wasn't happy with my initial versions of those songs.. I'd done them in a classical context.. but the style was sooooo different that they sounded like shyt to my ears. So.. I redid them, and punched them up. Funny enough though.. in doing that I tripped onto the FVF thingy.. and it was pretty fun. It's weird trying to find the optimal balance... I'm sure it's a singer's preference kind of thing..

The stat notes are something I've been doing live for a long time.

I've done Maiden tributes forever it seems... When I was in Eddy's Revenge we'd do a 135minutes to 150minute show (and there'd be strat notes throughout the whole show). When I had the time and was deeply involved in studying classical voice I'd normally pound away a good 2hrs+ a day singing.. and that'd be essentially a solid 2hrs of singing, I don't take breaks... 1hr in the morning warming up and some vocalizing, and another hour later on...

Currently my warmup is about 20-30minutes long, and my overall daily singing time has dropped.. though some days it's longer. I'm really focusing on smoothing out the passagio and diction.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is a little older and I may appear to make a newbie mistake of digging up old threads while I get used to the place but I thought you did fine on "Wasted Years." And I appreciate that you did it in your own voice, rather than trying to sound like Bruce Dickinson.

I had a friend that used to have a band and a lot of his music sounded like RUSH. He even sounded like Geddy Lee when he sang. And people thought, "pretty good Rush take-off." Which can be the kiss of death.

I still haven't figured out who I sound like, though I have been compared to everything from David Byron of Uriah Heep to a wounded animal.