Hurt - NiN cover

Rate this topic

Wow, very nice version of the song.

I have only heard Johnny Cash's version, and it jumps to my attention that in yours, the guitar emphasizes other notes, like... giving it a completely different feeling. Maybe it is a NiN thing or something, idk.

As for the vocals, I liked them a lot. You have a very thin voice, light and clear, so it was very different to what I am used to hear with Cash. You gave it a far more fragile feeling to it, like if you were really falling apart.

I liked it, man :)

Wow, very nice version of the song.

I have only heard Johnny Cash's version, and it jumps to my attention that in yours, the guitar emphasizes other notes, like... giving it a completely different feeling. Maybe it is a NiN thing or something, idk.

As for the vocals, I liked them a lot. You have a very thin voice, light and clear, so it was very different to what I am used to hear with Cash. You gave it a far more fragile feeling to it, like if you were really falling apart.

I liked it, man :)

Thanks man, I am falling apart, so that helps :)

Sounds real good Keith.

This is one of those songs that prove that you do not need to sound like the Original singer. Both Johnny Cashs' version and NIN version are very powerful and full of emotion.

The way sang this it sounded as if you wrote it and it was your words and emotion that was being expressed.

:)

Absolutely floored. A whole new side to your voice I have not had a chance to hear, since most of your stuff sounds to me like operatic metal. This was great. And kudos for going for the Trent Reznor feel.

It's all in the sub-text, isn't it?

I know it was for me.

Absolutely floored. A whole new side to your voice I have not had a chance to hear, since most of your stuff sounds to me like operatic metal. This was great. And kudos for going for the Trent Reznor feel.

It's all in the sub-text, isn't it?

I know it was for me.

Thanks Ron! I heard the song at the bar I DJ at and just HAD to learn it. It's a little rough in spots still I think. Trent's nuances are sometimes difficult for me to pick up on.

In an interview, Trent said the sub-text of this song was that he was going to cause people to hurt, almost as warning.

To me, Johnny Cash's version was more about regret over the pain one has caused others.

My strong feeling was for the latter.

A great song is one that can touch people on many different levels. I have not listened to this song enough to know the words by memory and it has been a while since I have listened. I feel that when I do hear this song it is time that he is singing about and time is creating the hurt. You cannot run from time.

Many different things can be read into this. Regret, Growing old, Addiction, Personal demons. Eitherway kind cathartic.

Again great job Keith. You gave a very powerful performance.

Here you go, MDEW. This is the cheat sheet I used.

C D Am C D Am

I hurt myself today to see if I still feel

C D Am C D Am

I focus on the pain the only thing that's real

C D Am C D Am

The needle tears a hole the old familiar sting

C D Am C D G

Try to kill it all away but I remember everything

Am F C G

What have I become? My sweetest friend

Am F C G

Everyone I know goes away in the end