Love Hurts Take 2

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey there,

I redid the song Love Hurts and tried to sing it with a fuller head voice this time. I think I posted the first version a while back but I may be mistaken.

Anyway I'd love to hear any comments on how I did on this take. If I'm doing anything wrong technically or could have modified a vowel here or there please let me know! I'm here to learn so be brutally honest and nitpick the song to bits! ;)

http://files.me.com/muskysnax/u3efg2.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Hey Snax!

One word....AWESOME! Great job bud! But the background vocals are louder than you are. We need to hear you. ;) And...why didn't you finish the song? (or was that a test to see if we'd listen to it all???) lol

cheers!

ps...all vowels sound great to me.

Thanks Michele. I didn't realize I'd not sang the entire song! lol Oops!

Hopefully there will be something I can improve upon that someone will notice. I'm a perfectionist and any little advice will help. :)

"GIDDYUP!"

well...it depends what goal you're going for?? You could add more distortion to make more like the original. BUT, I like it just the way it is. :)

Tell us more and then we can be guided to some advice. ;) Otherwise, we will say it sounds great....because it does!

well...it depends what goal you're going for?? You could add more distortion to make more like the original. BUT, I like it just the way it is. :)

Tell us more and then we can be guided to some advice. ;) Otherwise, we will say it sounds great....because it does!

I guess I'm looking to improve technically so if there is anything I could or should have done differently I'd love to hear it. Thanks for the kind words though Michele. By the way, I didn't record this in one take, it is a composite of several takes for each verse and chorus. I'd sing it a little differently each time then choose the bits I liked best. With me just getting my voice back into shape post surgery I don't yet have the stamina to sing the song in one perfect take. That will come with time and building back the muscles and support I lost.

"GIDDYUP!"

Snax,

are you getting the itch to get back out and start performing again...or are you just gonna serenade the Muskies?

I'll be honest and say that I am getting the urge to hit a stage again but only for fun, not in a full time band or anything. I've always been a natural entertainer and do enjoy the attention one gets from being on a stage in front of a room full of drunken ladies! lol

For those who might not get the muskies joke I'm the owner/artist of www.muskysnax.com and I make very realistic fishing lures for a living.

"GIDDYUP!"

I was wondering when someone would get around to doing some Nazareth. I've been hankering for "Hair of the Dog," myself.

I can't think of anything technically wrong. And I agree with the stylistic choices, like going soft in the chorus and blending with the background vocals. I think that turned out well. The last refrains had a different vocal processing, right? It sounded different, more echo-y(?). Pardon my butchering of the Crown's English.

As for punching in different takes from different times, from what I understand, that is how professionals do it. I've found, in myself, I can sing a phrase a few times and it sounds a little different each time. I've also read from interviews with musicians that, unless they recorded the whole song live (all instruments at once, in one or many takes), they have to listen to the finished product to figure how they will play the song live in concert.

And, like you, I am most comfortable performing live. This recording thing is something new for me to learn. I remember the days when I had a 5 inch reel to reel tape recorder. (Oh yeah, you want to talk about a museum piece.)

And here's a toast to appreciative audiences, drunk or sober.

wow, nice cover, Snax :o

that song's kinda high and you also have that vibrato thing while singing with so much power :)

I also tried Nazareth songs (love hurts, dream on) before but it doesn't work for me, I can't sing with that much power at that pitch, it would sound scary if I tried ...

Wow, so light and heady, yet so intense. It sounds bulletproof - technique-wise.

For my personal taste, I would like something with a little more meaty quality. And more desperation! Cant get enough with desperation shining through the vocals in a song. Sometimes it comes with something not being totally perfect.

ronws

He's brazilian, I was wondering how do you understand what He says if even we don't :lol: .

[url=http://marcusilva.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] ɸ [url=http://www.jamendo.com/br/artist/Marcus_Rasseli]Jamendo[/url]

Wow that's amazing. Have you always had that kind of range? Or did you work up to it at one point in your development? It sounds like you are curbing for most of it, except maybe for the really high parts. Your technique is great. Terrific job!

Wow that's amazing. Have you always had that kind of range? Or did you work up to it at one point in your development? It sounds like you are curbing for most of it, except maybe for the really high parts. Your technique is great. Terrific job!

Man, you made my day with your post! Thanks dude!

I haven't always had that range and actually during the years when I was singing in bands my range was nowhere near what it is now. I learned so much from the forums here about technique and it has truly transformed my voice! Of course the removal of my enormous tonsils and adenoids back in February of this year was a big factor.

One video I saw and has been mentioned here by a number people also contributed to my upper range. It is one of Brett Manning's videos where he's got a guy named Kelly who demonstrates how he sings in a high "mix" voice. He works up to it by making different sounds and eventually belts out a line from When a man loves a woman that is very clear and powerful. I picture that sound when I sing high now and it has really helped me a lot. I used to blow too much airflow and would strain the higher up I'd try and sing. Now I have learned to control the airflow and up the support and the result is the voice you now hear.

What I'm really struggling with somewhat is singing with a certain grit or growly sound like Dio,Coverdale and Jorn etc.I love the sound of those types of singers a lot and hope to be able to sing in a similar style whenever the song calls for it. I also love singers like Michael Sweet from Stryper though who have very pure voices but can add a wicked raunchy scream here and there! Thanks again for the kind words. :)

"GIDDYUP!"

• TMV World Member

I thought the style was fine. You certainly have the range, too.

IMO, biggest thing to work on is the intonation. For most of the song, you are under pitch when compared with the accompanyment.

What was your monitor set-up for this recording?

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

Thanks for your insights Steven. I used a pair of Fostex T-5 studio headphones for monitoring. Are you saying that I was off key slightly? I'm usually pretty good with my pitch but I'm sure that you have much more experienced ears that I do. I just played back the song and unfortunately I don't hear anything off pitch. That being said, I have been having a series of ear infections for the past 7 months that certainly might be affecting my ability to hear pitch as critically as I should. Man, now you've got me wondering Steven! :(

"GIDDYUP!"

• TMV World Member

Thanks for your insights Steven. I used a pair of Fostex T-5 studio headphones for monitoring. Are you saying that I was off key slightly? I'm usually pretty good with my pitch but I'm sure that you have much more experienced ears that I do. I just played back the song and unfortunately I don't hear anything off pitch. That being said, I have been having a series of ear infections for the past 7 months that certainly might be affecting my ability to hear pitch as critically as I should. Man, now you've got me wondering Steven! :(

Snax: Its not off key, its just hanging on the low side of the notes. Sinatra used to do it all the time, too :-).

Here is a question and a suggestion: If you are using 2 earphones, be sure to mix your own voice into the earphones so you hear your voice in the phones with the track. If you are unable to mix your voice with the track into the phones, Use just 1 earphone with the track, leave the other ear open to the air when you do the recording.

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

Thanks for clarifying that for me Steven. I do mix my dry vocals into my headphone mix when recording and I can hear myself quite well while doing takes. I'm really glad you brought this to my attention though and perhaps as my "new" post surgery voice gets stronger I'll be able to make the notes sit better. The entire range of this particular song is new vocal territory for me and I could never have done it pre tonsillectomy without basically yelling it! I'll be far more aware now of my intonation and I'm grateful that you shared your expert ears with me! :)

"GIDDYUP!"

Snax, I'd be grateful if you tried to explain your technique. How do you approach the passagio and what sort of exercises do you do - although I'm pretty sure you're a natural born singer ?

Do you consciously/unconsciously apply any methods such as covering, curbing, twang etc ? What areas do you feel you need to work on ? If you are familiar with cvt terms it would help immensely, if not no probs

I know what I'm asking is difficult but I am very willing to learn. Loved your sample.

Thanks in advance,

akarawd

I think I may indeed be a natural born singer as you suggested but I'm definitely not a natural born technical singer! lol I used to really struggle with any notes that were above my chesty belting range. In all honesty I haven't been keeping up on any vocal exercises on a regular basis although I know I should. I do sing sirens in the shower if no one else is home and I work alone from home so I'm usually singing along to my 80's metal blasting in the background in the workshop. I suppose I do lip bubbles pretty frequently too, but that drives my girlfriend nuts if she's around! lol

I don't think I do any covering as that is something I only just became aware of. Twanging is something I'm still new to although I have been consciously applying it to be able to sing some Judas Priest songs that require that type of tone. Before my enormous tonsils were removed I was unable to make the pharyngeal type sounds like a cackling witch or other such vocalizing. I simply was handicapped in that regard and in the past 7 or so months since my surgery my voice has become so much freer and controllable! It's like a violinist being given a stratovarius to play on instead of a cheap piece of junk.

I've been told by others here that I do sing in curbing which I believe is what Singing Success would call "mix" voice. I'm with Robert Lunte's opinion that their really is no "mix" and it's just a slick marketing term. We only have one voice and it resonates from the vocal folds on up to inside our heads. (I've got a fairly huge noggin hence the amount of resonation! lol)

One "technique" I do when singing songs like Love Hurts is I feel like I'm holding my breath and only barely allowing enough airflow from my mouth to get each phrase out. I'm not blowing a lot of air past my lips as I would have done in the past.

One exercise I do want to start doing daily is the one where you sing from a light head voice and swell it into a full head voice and back. The name alludes me for the moment but it has been discussed here in the forums many times. Steven Frazer probably knows what I'm talking about.

Hopethis answers some of your questions akarawd. :)

"GIDDYUP!"

I think I may indeed be a natural born singer as you suggested but I'm definitely not a natural born technical singer! lol I used to really struggle with any notes that were above my chesty belting range. In all honesty I haven't been keeping up on any vocal exercises on a regular basis although I know I should. I do sing sirens in the shower if no one else is home and I work alone from home so I'm usually singing along to my 80's metal blasting in the background in the workshop. I suppose I do lip bubbles pretty frequently too, but that drives my girlfriend nuts if she's around! lol

I don't think I do any covering as that is something I only just became aware of. Twanging is something I'm still new to although I have been consciously applying it to be able to sing some Judas Priest songs that require that type of tone. Before my enormous tonsils were removed I was unable to make the pharyngeal type sounds like a cackling witch or other such vocalizing. I simply was handicapped in that regard and in the past 7 or so months since my surgery my voice has become so much freer and controllable! It's like a violinist being given a stratovarius to play on instead of a cheap piece of junk.

I've been told by others here that I do sing in curbing which I believe is what Singing Success would call "mix" voice. I'm with Robert Lunte's opinion that their really is no "mix" and it's just a slick marketing term. We only have one voice and it resonates from the vocal folds on up to inside our heads. (I've got a fairly huge noggin hence the amount of resonation! lol)

One "technique" I do when singing songs like Love Hurts is I feel like I'm holding my breath and only barely allowing enough airflow from my mouth to get each phrase out. I'm not blowing a lot of air past my lips as I would have done in the past.

One exercise I do want to start doing daily is the one where you sing from a light head voice and swell it into a full head voice and back. The name alludes me for the moment but it has been discussed here in the forums many times. Steven Frazer probably knows what I'm talking about.

Hopethis answers some of your questions akarawd.

It does indeed, cheers Snax, it was a pleasure reading your post. The tonsils part was a bit of a revelation as I have huge tonsils too and I wonder if others have had the same experience as you - it might be worth starting a thread on it to see what experts will say. Cheers again.