The "Take Hold of The Flame" Challenge by Queensryche

• TMV World Legacy Member

:)really freakin nice man!! Your technique is always spot on:D killer

PLEASE CONTACT DANIEL@YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER@GMAIL.COM
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formicahttps://www.youtube.com/user/danformica
Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME. They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

• Administrator

Freakin SWEET !!!

Would like to see you upload the video to the Social Media section of TMV World !!!

You know the "routine", Felipe :D

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Excellent man. I like the fact that you switch effortlessly between many different styles of singing thus giving a very original interpretation.

At 1.10 it sounds really bel canto. Very different from the original but it works well.

I also noticed that you are way chestier than Tate except on the E5, as Tate would sing entierely in full head voice. I am mistaking to say that the way you do it is even more difficult than the full head approach? How much do you have to support to do this?

Excellent man. I like the fact that you switch effortlessly between many different styles of singing thus giving a very original interpretation.

At 1.10 it sounds really bel canto. Very different from the original but it works well.

I also noticed that you are way chestier than Tate except on the E5, as Tate would sing entierely in full head voice. I am mistaking to say that the way you do it is even more difficult than the full head approach? How much do you have to support to do this?

Great cover!

Very interested to hear about this. It sounds like there is more of an "opera" quality to your version, more chesty than the original. I ask because when I reach approx. B4 (and up), I have the "chestier" sounding head voice like yours.

Dan, think I still use a tip you gave me for that beginning. Thanks for the words man!

Phil thank you man :)

ronws Thanks man!!

geno knee and David thank you guys!!!

Adolph I will right away.

sange and Jabroni First thanks for the words guys. There are of course differences in execution, and Geoff Tate is a monster, I did not do anything other than how I normally would sing except that this song is indeed high. More difficult than what he did, I would not say, I think that different is a better word, if you notice the E5 for example and listen to how he did it and what I am doing, you will see that there is a difference in the registration too.

Its a strong support but still within whats normal and expected. Makes sense?

• Administrator

Dan, think I still use a tip you gave me for that beginning. Thanks for the words man!

Phil thank you man :)

ronws Thanks man!!

geno knee and David thank you guys!!!

Adolph I will right away.

sange and Jabroni First thanks for the words guys. There are of course differences in execution, and Geoff Tate is a monster, I did not do anything other than how I normally would sing except that this song is indeed high. More difficult than what he did, I would not say, I think that different is a better word, if you notice the E5 for example and listen to how he did it and what I am doing, you will see that there is a difference in the registration too.

Its a strong support but still within whats normal and expected. Makes sense?

Awesome !!!

Scheduled for the Spotlight Video beginning September 20, 2014 :cool:

>> http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profiles/blogs/spotlight-videos-and-an-invitation

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.

716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

Felipe, very cool that you resurrected this challenge, way to go.

I like your interpretation. Excellent work. I enjoyed your lighter mass approach, its one way to make sure the notes are pretty solid. Agreed, the E5 is a bit of a trick. Its coming back around for me as I play with this. I filmed my new submission, will post soon...

Felipe, thanks for stepping up and making sure that we commit to the "take hold of the flame" challenge. Excellent.

• Administrator

Thank you both Adolph and Rob! :)

Felipe,

I received an email that you left a comment on my article, "Spotlight Videos and an Invitation", however, it did not show in the article. (???)

As such, I want to thank YOU for your comment and mention that it's my distinct pleasure to Spotlight you yet again, but I MUST add that you most definitely earned the Honors :D

Again --- "Freakin SWEET" !!! AWESOME job on THOTF !!!

Sincere Regards,

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.

716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

Here you go guys... I believe that "Take Hold of the Flame" has to sound heroic, proggy, operatic and boomy. You can't sing it light mass. Its not just about getting the notes right, it needs to sound inspirational. For those of you that are not familiar with the song, here is the original version.

This is a very heroic, operatic vocal sound... in my opinion, simply amazing.

This is my rough, live, iphone take in my noisy studio... enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLw-mBcHRQ

• 8 months later...