Diamonds and Rust - Judas Priest acoustic

• TMV World Legacy Member

The Judas Priest acoustic cover of this Joan Baez classic has inspired me so much. Especially their live performances, which I try to capture here, in my own phrasing.

“Diamonds and Rust” cover by Judas Priest, original by Joan Baez

https://app.box.com/s/ycl1l5bar3x6cdw8iob0

Above link is a new recording.

Thanks, Bay.

I was not happy with the first recording. My input levels were wrong and it sounded like crap, even to me. So, I recorded the vocals, again. And re-mixed.

I am not looking for more comments or applause. I just realized that I could not leave what even I thought was a crappy sound file up.

Carry on, as before.

Very good Ronws. This sounded more consistent from beginning to end. And that note at the 2:00 minute was just as good this time if not better along with the notes that lead to it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

:lol: :cool:

I have not listened to Joans version yet. I only listed to the Acoustic version of JP.

Just the thought of JP covering Joan Baez is a bit ironic.

I thought about Covering "Different Drum" from Linda Ronstadt which was written by a man (Michael Nesmith, who was a Monkey.{For those of you who do not know him look it up}) The song ended up sounding like a theme song for Feminine products.

My thought was to bring it back to a Male dominant theme.

I have to admit that the JP version made the song more interesting than Joan. Joan made it sound like she was reading a letter that she wrote.

Of course Joan is prettier and has that sweet vibrato........

I still think people hear an acoustic guitar and automatically think "Country" and push the stop button before giving the song a chance.

I cannot handle too much country either but this is far from Country Music. So is Joans interpretation.

Thanks, guys. I thought this thread was dead except for a couple of hillbillies chatting back and forth.

I tried using echo function and it was not getting the results. So, I had to do it the old-fashioned way. Duped the last bit twice, each to its own track. Then time shift each one farther and farther and reduce volume.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally I like it. I like the clean approach you have, nice timbre. Some shaky high notes, but not all of them so I think you can do it even better. Haven't heard the original song, never been big on Judas Priest, but may have to check them out again!

Cool idea about the echo creating, I've never thought of that. I'm usually using plugs in Cubase trial and error style until I get the results. Gonna have to look at that technique I think! :cool:

Thanks, Marcus. You are not the only one to say I had some shaky high notes. So, I have something to work on.

As for the echo trick, I tried a few settings in my echo plug-in and it just wasn't doing what I wanted. I got the idea of duping and moving tracks from Matt, if you remember him. He mentioned once or twice about doing that.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Bono. Gracias, Amigo.

"Menos la luce del Sol" - without the light of the Sun. I sabe a little espanol.

And I do hear the similarity you are talking about.

I liked the acoustic approach,i think this song sounds better without distorted guitars...

I thought you did great on this, really made it your own instead of copying either halford or joan

i also Liked the way you ended with the echos that was cool

www.soundclick.com/chavie

I liked the acoustic approach,i think this song sounds better without distorted guitars...

I thought you did great on this, really made it your own instead of copying either halford or joan

i also Liked the way you ended with the echos that was cool

Thanks. I prefer the acoustic approach, as well, though I also liked their full-on heavy metal blast.