• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker here but first time poster. I bought Four Pillars probably about a year ago and think I've been making progress - before hitting like a A4 was a real struggle but the upper range seems to have opened up somewhat. Any feedback on this short rough recording would be great - this is just into my phone playing guitar and singing - please excuse the dodgy beginning (first couple of lines) and guitar fluffs - I was under a bit of time pressure to get this done while I had an empty house!

Hey man!

Great choice of song, I am a fan of Sabbath too, specially the Dio era. Dehumanizer is one hell of an album.

But I did not like how its coming along right now. On the beginning, you were a bit loose on the registration, some breaks going on. Overall, the tone is squeezed and narrow. I would try to find more space, "spread" it more...

Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback Felipe - I really appreciate it. I think I know what you mean - thinking how to find more space and spread the sound, is this with finding greater resonance? I'm guessing trying to eliminate tension and improving embouchure may help?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give it a listen, I'll experiment around with the tone and try and take on your feedback - will do another version when I think I have made a significant improvement.

Cheers!

Ok here's another version - this one's a bit of a 'cleaner' listen as I multi-tracked the guitar separately and used a condenser mic on everything, with a bit of fairly standard processing. I know it's not amazing but I think the best bits (like the beginning of the second verse for instance) are pretty good. Other bits I know are still quite dodgy. It was more 'fatiguing' to attempt to sing more powerfully (though I didn't feel strain particularly), & I think I need to work on building stamina but I hope I'm moving in the right direction.... anyway, any comments are very welcome

Thanks Ron, I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out. Yeah I don't mind if it doesn't sound close to Dio's actual sound (though he's probably my favourite singer) if it sounds decent in itself. Thanks man!

I like the second one a lot more. The first one, as said before, sounded a bit squeezed. Second one took some of that out. Did you change how you recorded it? Sounds different too.

Thank you simba. Yes The first one I recorded very basically straight onto the soundcloud app on my phone and played guitar and sang at the same time. Second one I recorded on a DAW on my laptop, did the guitar first to a click track and then overdubbed the vocals using the same mic for both (Rode NT1-A), so the sound is a bit more polished generally.

• Administrator

Hi Will, I just saw this... sorry I couldn't respond earlier. Its been crazy building updates to Pillars 4.0.

Well, I listened to your 2nd version... 

I like it... I think it sounds quite good actually. If this was mixed into a full band with great pre-amps, compression, and all the special sauce that comes with a full production, it would sound really good. I don't feel your voice sounds squeezed. I think this more attributed to your sound color. We can train to add more warmth to your sound color with better larynx anchoring and other considerations, but you have a great Ian Gillan kind of timbre... great for rock.

How has your training with "The Four Pillars of Singing" been going? Do you have any questions?  There are some new updates you may be interested in....  I like to keep my clients updated.

Hi Robert, thank you very much - that really means a lot, especially coming from yourself. I love Ian Gillan too so if I sound anything like him then I'll gladly take that as a compliment!

Training with Four Pillars has been really beneficial, it's an amazing programme. I have mainly used it by working through as many of the Vocalize Demonstrations (which I have on my iPod) as time will allow. I probably now need to use it in a more organized way as your book directs, but I have been doing the Foundation Building Routine at the beginning a lot, and it has really helped a lot in opening up my range and finding head voice properly.

I am certainly interested in any updates, or if you have advice as to which specific exercises from Pillars that might be the most beneficial in helping build strength and stamina in a more 'belty' configuration in that higher part of the range (particularly between the G4 and C5), for the Dio/Gillan/Dickinson powerful sound. I find that at the moment I can find it for a while but my stamina and/or strength needs working on somewhat.

Thank you again Robert, I really appreciate your comments.

• Administrator

Will, I am very pleased to hear that the program is working for you... I have worked hard to make sure that no details have been missed in content, important ideas, sound colors that any singer may want to have, all areas of the voice to train and the content... finding ways to make training and practicing more intuitive... 

There is a new update to the book and coincidentally, I have developed a new routine that is in the back of the FBR titled, "Routine: High Performance Onsets & Sirens in 20 Minutes!"... 

specific exercises from Pillars that might be the most beneficial in helping build strength and stamina in a more 'belty' configuration in that higher part of the range (particularly between the G4 and C5), for the Dio/Gillan/Dickinson powerful sound.

Yes, your timing is good... I have recently identified more clearly:

1). What vowel modification formulas are "Resonant Training Formulas" = Favorable for Bridging & Foundation Work.

2). What vowel modification formulas are "Resistance Training Formulas" = Favorable for building strength and coordination.

#2... you would find some great "Belt" movements with the vowels.

And... more importantly to your question regarding belting:

1). Coordination & Foundation Onsets = Building coordination, compression, respiration, foundation work, muscle memory.

2). Resistance Onsets = Belting, Builds "bottom-up" coordination and strength, CT strengthening, Modal Voice (chest/M1) pulling to higher frequencies, strength building, endurance.

So... in this new efficient routine that I just added... there are instructions on how to work through the onsets & sirens, in a way that focuses on first coordination and muscle memory... then transitions to the more resistance onsets that are basically... for all practical purposes... build your belt musculature and coordination.

Absolutely.. is all in the program... you should consider getting in front of me in a lesson so I can show you in more detail. 

Hi Olem, thanks for listening and for your comments!

Robert, the new content looks great. Just been looking at the information for it on the site. I've got a holiday to the US for my sister's wedding to save up for in the immediate future, but I may well aim to pick up the updates in the Summer (and hopefully some lessons). Been using the Pillars exercises today, my job involves quite a bit of driving so a great chance to get some training in! 

• Administrator

the new content looks great.

Hey thanks!  Really pleased to hear it. Yes, in the last year... with the development of the acoustic modes, belt training and the detailed training routines in the back of the book... a lot of fog (in my opinion), in what Im trying to do for people and create, has been lifting. It is evolving from a concept of what I want to offer in my head, to becoming a reality. A complete vocal training program that not only touches on all the main ideas from my self and others (... all the best ideas from other coaches are also inspired in this program... there really isn't any fundamental, core idea in the other main programs that hasn't also been addressed in "Pillars"... with "Pillars", you get all the good ideas, not just my good ideas). But now capitalizing on what I believe to be one of "Pillars" greatest strengths, which is providing training content, training tools, directions and guidance on how to practice, work flows, detailed routines, notation of the workouts, my persona demonstration of the workouts, guide files... man you name it, I have left NO rock unturned... anyways... glad you like it.

In regards to singercizing in the car, listen to the audio versions of the lectures... I have found that they are really great to listen to in the car.

Singer's Need Training Content That "Hits" On ALL the Good Ideas In The Industry