Stand up and Shout

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi everyone,

Inspired by one of those 'vocal only' vids on YT, this time I tried a Dio song. A blend of clean and distorted tone has always been tuff for me. And to sing anything with the amount of feeling that Ronnie used to put in his songs is simply unreachable. I'd love to hear some advice from you guys. Anyone can tell me what CVT modes these are (I'm guessing Curbing and Edge) and how to make them sound better?. Does the distortion sound convinsing? Anyway here it is.

http://www.box.net/shared/0mkkl06z0p0hc07xnv1b

Its very inspiering to see how much youve Evolved since you joined! When you joined you sounded good, this on the other hand is proffesional! Its very Hard to sing That the way you do it, your curbing and edge is great!

Dio would be proud! Love to hear the backing music along with your voice though. I'm a massive Dio fan and you sound really good singing his music my friend!

"GIDDYUP!"

That's freakin' awesome man ! It's amazing how you can produce this kind of rasp yet retain your intelligibility all the way... I don't know what to make of it..

You definitely sound like DIO in the tenor range... great stuff!

Thanos

Yes. That sounds very nice but not as good as the original :P

Yes, the "Flight" and "eyes" sounds quite like Dio - but the chorus remind me of this guy

Anyway - Great! zajebiście!

Wish I could do it like that!

OMERTAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Hey guys, I'm very glad you liked it, thanks for these kind words. I'm also a massive Dio fan, he's the one who kept me going from early on. I met him after his bands concert in Copenhagen in 2005, he was wandering around with a glass of red wine, and his bodyguard held the bottle ready to serve him any time. I asked Ronnie what his secret to singing is (could you come up with a more stupid question?:D) and he said something that may seem trivial, but is just so true: "If you can feel metal, then you can sing metal, the rest is just technique". I knew I could feel it inside, but just wasn't able to let it out. Still trying, but it's good to know one is on the right track.

Daug, this Juan guy is awesome. I think he sounds a lot like Jorn.

Hey, just an FYI, RJD lived in Cortland, NY - about 10 minutes away from my house lol. There is even a raod there named "Dio Way" - Closest I got to meeting him was Finestein though :(

www.drop-head.com

Here it is Snax, recorded once more with a backing track. Any ideas on how I could improve? I feel like I could get some more meat in the higher raspy parts...

http://www.box.net/shared/e57lui1bdchsyq9aqc7r

Dude, that is AWESOME!!!! You don't need to change a thing! Actually, can you email me the separate vocal track and separate music track so that I can mix it for you? If you can, my email is muskysnax@gmail.com. I'd really enjoy mixing this one if you'd let me!

"GIDDYUP!"

You know what else Dio said? To fellow singer and friend, Ron Keel? "Don't spend too much time warming up. The voice only has so much in a given day (paraphrased)."

DJ, I would like to bring particular attention to your quote from RJD. Yes, we can all work on technique. But it comes from the heart. Metal is in the heart, whether we sound particularly like him or another singer, or not. For example, I don't sound like RJD. But I sing "Rainbow in the Dark" and "Holy Diver" with my heart. That's metal.

Metal is not just a certain amount of rasp or distortion in the voice. It is an attitude, yea, even, a way of live.

Archived