Snejk is back - in a band!!

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, in October I had the good fortune to be called up by a guitarist who searched for a singer for his new band, starting from scratch.

I felt at home from the start and had no problem commiting :3 Anyway, we did a little "teaser" to keep up the interest and to let people hear our sound. It's incredibly rough, recorded in the rehearsal room.

It's very off pitch, but I had to come up with the second verse on the spot and the harmonies as well. I must say regardless, I am VERY pleased with the result.

I decided to drop the "bright tenor" sound and sing more in my comfortable range with some power instead. I'm glad they accept this kind of singing =)

We will enter the studio in January/February and record 6 songs. We have 3 at the moment.

Here it is;

http://www.myspace.com/597333171

Also, please like our facebook group if you find this to be interesting!!

http://www.facebook.com/ArdamenthArchania

Cheers

/Patrik

Absolutely awesome, Patrick. I can't get to the myspace page because I have an old browser on a computer too small to handle to newest version.

But good for you and I wish you lots of luck. So, record an album and release it on itunes so that I can get it.

It's very off pitch...

I'm glad you said it, so I didn't have to :D

I wouldn't say "very." But a little. I think the harmonies are a bit off.

I'm sure you'll straighten that out though.

Best of luck to you and congratulations. ;)

Yes that will be no problem! It had to be recorded very quickly so I didn't have that much time :P Some of the harmonies are okay (i.e the first bridge "Here we are"). The second bridge.. Not okay :D The entire second verse and the hockey-chorus behind it I came up with when actually recording it and it's entirely super duper awesome! My sense for melody is outstanding.. Now to just... Make everything else equally outstanding xD

But yeah, studio in January/February and then we will have some time on our hands for retakes =p

Well, I liked it :) Now, I will probably be alone in this, but I liked the 2nd verse more than the first. It was a bit pitchy, but to me it sounded more like a bit of lazy attitude rather than wrong pitch. This is pure taste however.

For the whole sound, I would urge the guitarist to get some more bass into the sound, it was quite thin. I understand it will probably be more thoroughly done when not in teaser form.

Good Job!

You're right on the spot there! I love the second verse.. I had to come up with both the lyrics (which, admittedly are shit in a poetic sense) and the melody on the spot... Now I feel that the first verse is boring as hell compared haha.

The guitar sounds is also our main issue when recording like this since it's much thicker in real. We were thinking of dubbing it. But this is just to make a demo for the studio. These flaws are nothing we focus on now, even though I hate to leave the mic knowing I sang pitchy xD

EDIT: For those who've heard me earlier, it's a big shift for me from my thin, bright singing..

I did not like it man, the ideas sound cool but as it is, it really does not translate well for us listenning.

Did you sent this just here or are you openning to public?

Dont open yet, just reharse it with the guys and record it when more solid, nothing in there sounds beyond what you guys can do, its really all loose, as you said it, kinda improvising and figuring out what to do on the fly.

Would it not be possible to do a more defined reharsal? Given what Ive heard from you before I really was expecting something much more refined. From 1:00, sounds more consistent, better. As a general tip, for the vocals on the chorus with backings and harmonies, fall down on the dynamics of the lead and connect everything better, make the articulation more smooth, then on the resolution of the phrases let it explode a bit but fall back again, it will fit better the idea you had there.

BTW, the initial guitar riff, it must be fixed, not only tone, but it must be played on the beat, or removed, its really kinda alien in there as it is now. And the beginning of the melody line, well you just have to have one ;)haha, its clear you were kinda searching for it in there and then you found a ground of ideas to deliver. Plan a melody there, even if its low and easy, it needs to have an interpretation line, use dynamics, a simple low, high, low, high -> sustain -> chorus works wonders.

GL man!

Thanks for the feedback... I must say though, that I don't know how to read your post :P You once said to a recording of mine (letter to dana) "too much auto tune and comping", where there was indeed comping, but no auto tune at all... I feel like you just never liked me ;)

However I hear your critique and I agree with some - this should not have been released. We were just very eager to get something out to keep interest up... Having only the base of a song outlined (the chorus is epic and the new harmonies I've added makes it even more fantastic)

Oh well! It's not the end of the world.. Guess I was a bit too excited about my new style of singing xD

Oh I like it better than the old style, more natural. And that editing you used in that song really did not help hehe. ;)

Its just that these details are a matter of sitting down and fixing them, not a problem of your voice, you have the chorus and the ideas defined, its just consolidating and, well doing it. Oh and about riff I dont mean that it must be removed, its just out of timming, like in "the guitarrist is not paying attention to the drummer", do you understand? Just a matter of him taking more care to follow the beat.

My personal opinion is that the teaser would work much better with just a bit of more attention to this, even if just a piece of the song. But its not my call. GL man, dont really have anything against you. The world needs more metal :). \m/

Oh, then we're definitely on the same page! xD

Yes, the riff works - if timed right so it's not "out there", you're right. Now during rehearsal (we rehearse 4 times a week) this song is way better.. The chorus for example where I do some things 'behind it', is meant for the very last chorus which is raised a major third where the guitarists and the bass player will sing it and I will sing behind it.

Gah! I can't wait for our first live performance (Jan 25th) to get a proper recording of the structure and how it sounds..

Anyway, thanks for your honest opinion!

:) I like the voice and like others said just not there yet. The guitar intro to me was to repetative. Either that or it needs to sit back more in the mix. Could just be me listening on a laptop. That does tend mess things up as far a mix goes.

As far as putting it together on the fly so to speak it's not bad.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I actually liked this big time! I like this kind of music, and your voice fits this very well. Nice to hear you use the lower part of your voice a bit. It sits really well with this type of music. Yes, it's a bit rough, but this makes me really want more from you guys! I'll keep on eye out for more demos and a coming album.

I don't think the guitar riff is too repetivie, but I agree that the guitar sound need some tweaking.