Paradise lost(symphony x cover)

Okay this past year ive been working in My belted sound alot, à year ago i wouldnt be able to touch this song.

So it's a work in progress :) im lucky enough to know à guitarist who can play this aswell wich isnt easy to find.

So what can i do better?

Im right now working on being able to sing with less compression

Also got tips that some of the second verse felt stressed, so if you feel you can contribute to those tips pleases do :)

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcMhuymhq0

Edit: also big thanks to marcus for the great mix, your a rock ;)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Nothing I could help with. I liked it, Jens. And you should get some cheers and hurrahs for taking on anything from Symphony X. Truly a prog band, they took metal where it needed to logically go, at the time. (Sorry, I've been reading the 4 decade history or metal and prog, in which they figure prominently, having influenced so many others.)

Maybe someone else can help with what you are looking for but I liked what you did.

Man it is kinda raw... Does not sound bad, but the interpretation isnt comming... I think it can be much better.

I hear it compressed back, allow it to flow more forward thinking of support, thinking of colour, open a bit more. The closed vowels are destroying the placement, I think some attention to them outside the song, "more twang" into them if you will.

And more importantly, dynamics, you are bringing it too strong from the start! When you reach "take my hand" you dont have room to go stronger and its becomming compressed. Just keep it forward and round, dont think so much on making it stay full, your voice is already strong and trainned, the resonance will take care of it.

Anyways this dude is one of the most amazing singers ever, the song is complicated as hell.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Sounded Pretty Awesome to me. But I couldn't even attempt this.

But I do know after you get confidence in singing this you will be more relaxed in it. With the relaxation comes the further control.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Man it is kinda raw... Does not sound bad, but the interpretation isnt comming... I think it can be much better.

I hear it compressed back, allow it to flow more forward thinking of support, thinking of colour, open a bit more. The closed vowels are destroying the placement, I think some attention to them outside the song, "more twang" into them if you will.

And more importantly, dynamics, you are bringing it too strong from the start! When you reach "take my hand" you dont have room to go stronger and its becomming compressed. Just keep it forward and round, dont think so much on making it stay full, your voice is already strong and trainned, the resonance will take care of it.

Anyways this dude is one of the most amazing singers ever, the song is complicated as hell.

Great tips man! Thx for the kind words, It would be really nice if you could post a fast clip of the placement and twanged setup for the closed vowels. Il follow your tip and see where it leads me :)

I also agree with the dynamics, it's hard man :)

Also keep in mind there's a vocalcompressor on the song so any increases in volume wont be heard, but im guessing youve already taken that into consideration ;) still need to vary My coloration...

Cheers