Dio's Rainbow in the dark

• TMV World Legacy Member

Going back to my metal roots lol I'd love opinions...criticism or advice.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12393488

Thanks in advance :)

www.soundclick.com/chavie

I hold Rainbow in the dark as one of the toughest songs to sing well (as far as metal goes) and one of the most treacherous.

Dio's voice put a shroud of deception over it with his thick and powerful voice, making it feel "lower" and more approachable than it really is. Then avarage Joe (I don't mean you) comes along, tries to sing it and wound up sounding like a little girl, or get fatigued within the first verse.

With that being said, you did very good! I can't give you any tips though, because I can't do better.

Hats off!

Thanks guys.....this still needs a lot of work

im happy i avoided sounding girlie.....but i was definitely off a lot throughout the song

Just gonna keep this tune as part of my practice for a while

See if i can fine tune it :/

Dio is one of these vocalists who I never used to appreciate how good he was because he makes it sound so easy. Then when you try and sing along you realise it really isn't.

You've done an excellent job here. Well done.

Pretty good. You’ve got a pretty detailed ear, as well. Your growls are cued to where Dio did them.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

Where did this come from? Holy crap. Good job! Your a lot thicker on those tough notes than I am, or will ever be. Fantastic.

www.drop-head.com

We need a headbanging icon for moments like this. Well done, amigo. Well done.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

• Administrator

AWESOME, Chavie !!!

I agree with Validar.... "We need a headbanging icon for moments like this." :cool:

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Great job, Chavie, you are "almost" there if you want to capture the Dio sound - a really tough task. It sounds fabulous of course and you do capture the Dio sound in some places. If you really want to capture the Dio sound fully throughout this song you need a tiny bit more rasp and "meanness". If that was not your goal, well, then leave it as it is - it sounds fantastic.

Great job, Chavie, you are "almost" there if you want to capture the Dio sound - a really tough task. It sounds fabulous of course and you do capture the Dio sound in some places. If you really want to capture the Dio sound fully throughout this song you need a tiny bit more rasp and "meanness". If that was not your goal, well, then leave it as it is - it sounds fantastic.

Thanks man appreciate your honesty, i'm definitely gonna give this another try in the the near future.

It sounds GREAT just the way you do it! Awesome work. Don't let anyone tell you you need to sing it any otherwise. Here are tips for the future so that you KEEP this skill of yours:

1. If you reduce your twang just a LITTLE bit you will probably suddenly feel that the song gets MUCH more weighty and difficult. Keep your current amount of twang and on some days you might even increase it 1%. Remember this tip if you feel you almost can't sing this type of song.

2. If you feel like you've kind of swallowed something and your throat hurts, it's often because you went in the OPPOSITE direction, i.e. you use TOO much twang and need to add some yawning.

3. Don't forget to breathe low in between every phrase.

4. There will be days where you can't give as much power as usual. When that happens, don't try to force but just sing the song with lower intensity and at least hit the right notes. This applies to live singing and at rehearsals - not so much in the studio where you can always attempt the song next day.

Again, very cool man.