Child In Time!

• TMV World Legacy Member

I'm honoured to be the first to represent the band of amateurs this time around! :)

Never sung it before, until I decided to record it a few hours ago, but it's in line with me practicing a bit softer/more dynamic songs though!

You don't have to remark my "moderate" high voice. I really should've put more meat behind it. It sounded cool and "right" when I sang it, but when I came back home to really listen I didn't like it one bit.

Also, I hear the spots where I'm pitchy, so I'm aware! :)

https://app.box.com/s/rnvyzb38loijcb670snl (and no, it's not the whole song. It's more or less the same thing after the screams, so it wouldn't be anything new to display from my part. I feel my time is better spent on other things :))

I have a feeling I'm in for a sour treat! :cool:

I think it sounds great. Only part I think you should change is the second part of the screams. It sounded too falsettoey, you do need some more meat there, particularly a lower larynx, more open vowel, and maybe some more twang on the lower notes of it. But everything else was plenty meaty, or didn't need to be.

I actually didn't hear any pitchiness...I wasn't listening for it either, but if it was there on any kind of significant scale I probably would have noticed it anyways.

Your distortion sounds great...in fact, my only concern here is, how is your stamina/vocal health with this technique? It sounds a teeny bit like it's hurting your voice, but if you are not feeling it as that and have no problem sustaining it, then go ahead and keep doing what you are doing. :cool:

Think it sounds really nice man.

My constructive criticism would be more attention to details, the timing and the different melodic runs. It would make it sound more like a studio recording than a live recording / improvising take. Still, as I said, sounds awsome tonewise, pitchwise, emotionalwise etc.

Cheers!

Hehe, C6! Actually that was a pretty good and surprising line. As Owen mentioned, the second part of screams is quite soft. It could need some more body to fit better in between the first and the last part—a better build up.

Pitch is pretty much spot on. Timing is very laidback. You could make it more steady.

Beautiful tone, though.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

Holy crap this sounded good! I agree with some points made, the falsetto part E5 D5 C5 etc should be way edgier imo. Also I think that the first falsetto part C5 B4 A4 etc would be better if the melody was unaltered, now it was just distracting to me, not so sensitive anymore. On the other hand the end screams and alterations were amazing and the C6 sounded great!

My humble opinion, others may differ :)

Enader: Amateur?!?! Are you kidding me?!? Nice job bro!!!! :cool:

Your tone is amazing. The Falsetto I didn't like that much along with the delay on the screams. But there were some nice riffs on there during the screams at the end of the clip. That was really nice.

Great way to start!

My Original songs:
A new day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfozwtLCdY
I can't believe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMTnOVwaIY
Thank you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VVHp535Bw

Instead of reiterating myself, I say it here: thank you for your comments; both praise and "harsh" truths! I value every bit of it!

It's easy to miss things, and while the more seasoned vocalists will listen with a more technical ear and give a likewise response, the less seasoned singers are usually less prone to be "stuck" in a particular technical mindset (singing healthy, energy efficient, homogenous timbre or whatever it may be) and just say what's on their mind.

In the larger scheme of things, both sides are useful. Because at the end of the day, if you're trying to get famous, it's probably the big mass (people without any profound knowledge of singing) who will determine the outcome of it. If they don't like it, you're in for a bumpy ride. (Rebecca Black and people like her are exceptions :D)

Owen Korzec

As I wrote in my opening post, I agree with the second screaming part!

And most of all, I really appreciate your tip on how to improve it! :)

Well, this technique is very easy on the throat and smooth for being me, so it doesn't affect my stamina and it doesn't hurt.

However, I can see where you're coming from, and I guess you're thinking of to the end where I'm getting rather gritty. To my defence, I haven't sung that high in weeks, and then I tend to overdo the grit in some places. It's hard to get that perfect sweet-spot and stay there if you haven't done it for a while.

Mivke

I totally agree!

I'd like to be "up there", but I'm just not that good. To get up to such a level of immaculate performance with beautiful subtleties, I have to run through the song more than four times (perhaps it was five). Haha!

Also, the timing is the hardest part of the song. Especially since I'm not that familiar with the song, so I had to just go with my gut-feeling... which in regards of timing is like playing the lottery! :D

Manolito Mystiq

Haha! Yeah, I thought it would make the transition into the powerful screams more exciting, but it didn't... :cool:

It just sounds bland and unforfilling. If I would do it again I would certainly add a bit more punch to it!

Thank you for that tone-remark! I really need to here such things, because singing softly is quite hard for me to do. Perhaps not technically, but mentally.

Opaa

You bring up a good point, I really should've kept the first falsetto part very clean! Would have been more exciting when I used more power. Also, the riffs (or whatever you may call them) wouldn't seem so recycled! Haha!

gilad

Haha! Yes, I see myself as an amateur. I'm probably more amateur than most of you here, and will stay that way. Never had formal training, and I turn down offers to join bands. My singing will not be something I do professionally. As soon as it feels like a chore, I step back for a while :)

With that being said, I can understand why the delay seems off-putting to you! Haha! I probably owe it to my (not so) phenomenal skills in sound production! :D

Awesome first draft.

A comment about the song itself (not a critique on your singing); without the proper setup from the verse there is no need for the screams.

You have to choose a side whether you want to or not. Blind men are shooting in the street. You have to duck from the ricocheting bullets. You do not know what to do to get out of this situation.Terrible and desperate times. You need that feeling. The screaming is out of desperation.

The falsetto cries at first would be fine because it is the beginning of the emotional out burst. Fasetto(soft crying for the people being in this situation) next wails of desparation. next out and out screaming because you just can't take it anymore.

The verse explains the screaming otherwise the song does not make sense.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Awesome first draft.

A comment about the song itself (not a critique on your singing); without the proper setup from the verse there is no need for the screams.

You have to choose a side whether you want to or not. Blind men are shooting in the street. You have to duck from the ricocheting bullets. You do not know what to do to get out of this situation.Terrible and desperate times. You need that feeling. The screaming is out of desperation.

The falsetto cries at first would be fine because it is the beginning of the emotional out burst. Fasetto(soft crying for the people being in this situation) next wails of desparation. next out and out screaming because you just can't take it anymore.

That was a great read!

And to be honest (and a bit ashamed), I didn't get into it that deep... but now I wish I had! Would've siphoned a lot of inspiration from it.

You know what, while reading what you wrote, I realised that the first step of learning a song is not just to understand the basic melody, but also understand the meaning of the song. Get the artistic/emotional aspect down before you actually open your mouth. At least as a guidline.

I will most certainly take this one to heart! Thank you, MDEW!

• Administrator

As I mentioned in "Performance Coaching" >>

In my humble opinion, Enander did a great job.....

Would like to hear his rendition of "Child in Time" in it's entirety !!! :cool:

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

I want to hear the whole thing, too. Don't worry, I know how to fast forward through the interminable guitar break in the middle. If I listen to that part, I will end up thinking about Phillip Seymour Hoffman driving a panel truck in the backroads of Oklahoma in the movie, "Twister." :lol: (actually, they filmed it around Dallas, Texas but parts of it are "supposed" to be in OK. Useless trivia, lead actor Bill Paxton is originally from Dallas, Texas. Stop it, ron, just stop it ...)

As I have learned the hard way, in this forum, recording and editing strategy is as much a part of the performance as the actual singing. So, I would suggest to badk off the echo a smidge. Not a lot, just make it a little more subtle, at least for my aesthetic sensibilities. I may be alone in that thought.

Good stuff.

Adolph Namlik

Thank you very much, Adolph! :)

I didn't know my post was copy-pasted into another topic. Good to know!

ronws

Haha! Are you as verbose (I mean that in a good way) IRL too?

I'm usually the same way! Haha!

I rarely, if ever (can't remember), record myself singing the same song more than once, but perhaps I'm going to do it this time!

We'll see!

Awesome first draft.

Exactly, MDEW! I think this is what Gillan and Deep Purple had in mind when they crafted this song.

Enander i am very impressed, i very much agree with the others about timing and that there was a little too much alteration of the first falsetto part in the chorus. But i must say that those high scream notes in the end were freakin awesome. There are not many top heavy metal singers that could scream such a beautiful C6 like you did! Congratulations!!!!! All in all it sounded very good. But beware, if you put more effort into your singing and publish it your phone will be occupied :) Please, don´t waste your talent, man!

Skål! (En annan svensk)

• Administrator

Adolph Namlik

Thank you very much, Adolph! :)

I didn't know my post was copy-pasted into another topic. Good to know!

I rarely, if ever (can't remember), record myself singing the same song more than once, but perhaps I'm going to do it this time!

My pleasure, Enander :cool:

And yes, I continue to review each and every post.... I don't miss much !!! HA HA

And BTW:

1) I stand with Gilad --- Amateur ??? It certainly doesn't sound that way !

2) By all means, Go for it more than once :D

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Olem

Haha! Tjena!

Yeah, the falsetto things (both keeping it simpler and putting some meat behind the second part) I can do, but the timing is beyond me! I just can't grasp it! Haha! :( I can set up a metronome and do my own thing, sure, but not sing like Gillan. Gillan's singing rhythm is so different from mine. Add that to all the syncopes in the track and you'll get a confused Enander! :D

Then again, I haven't listened to the track so many times. Might come after a few more spins!

I'm sorry to say, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere with my singing! I.e waste my singing talent, if you will! Haha!

I've heard people say that they'd never "go pro", but as soon as they get a chance they snatch it.

I've had the opportunities as well but declined. I don't mean to brag, but it wasn't just from some random garage bands either. I've got offers from bands touring Europe and being signed to major labels.

My point is, I know how I react when the chips are down and what my heart really wants! :)

I've got other talents (if you can consider me a talented singer) than singing you know! :cool:

Skål!

Adolph Namlik

So, you're like the guardian, or warden, around here? Haha!

Yes! I'm very content to be an amateur. I can do whatever I want whenever I want with my singing! I can also refuse to do whatever I want whenever I want! Haha!

Me not sounding like an amateur is mere luck! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while! :D

ronws

Haha! Are you as verbose (I mean that in a good way) IRL too?

I'm usually the same way! Haha!

!

I'm worse, IRL. Fingers can cramp up on the keyboard but the voice never stops.

:D