Kamelot - Sacrimony Cover

Rate this topic

This is my first attempt at singing a cover song in a long time - anyway, this is where I am at. This is after a 1.5 hour workout. 15 minutes lip bubbles for warm up. I took a shot at the female vocals at the last chorus (lol). I know it isnt great, please slam the crap out of it as this was the best I could do. (No excuses George)

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12032564&q=hi&newref=1

I wouldn't call that crap Keith. I thought it was good. Even the female part :D I know you have been working on this so you probably won't like hearing it. But I thought it could have used a little more punch on the word "Angel." That same note throughout the song just seemed a little light to me. Well, at least imo. :) But overall it sounded pretty good to me.

Yeah, that note is a tough one - I still want to flip when I pound it. Its one of THOSE notes lol. Not singing for a month hasn't helped either. Fortunatly, I am back to being able to practice. Thanks for listening and commenting!

Kamelot is a quite bitchy material to sing isnt it, that guy is awesome... Dunno man it really not good yet, you know that too, I do like how you are sounding much more solid on the low/mid sections since that Silent Lucidity you´ve recorded, but its still missing compression as you go higher, the section Tommy pointed is where it shows most, its breaking there.

Technically your voice is more forward and defined than recordings prior to this, haha I recall that you said in a thread somewhere that a doctor told you you could not resonate? So much for that I guess. ;)

Oh, on the first verses, sounding nice, but try to let the dynamics fall more, will sound better on the context (your voice is alone in there), and it will leave a margin to increase it later, might even help with the compression.

I am strugging keeping a clean tone for some reason - when I get higher, my voice starts to break up.. Its kinda weird. I was having this problem before I stopped singing also. It is nothing new lol. Check out the Kamelot cover I posed today - I felt as if I did it better, meaning it felt better to sing today (lol). Anyway thanks for listening bro!

:) Even if it is a little shakey here and there It seems that it will straighten out with a little more work. I can hear that you have the ability to sing those strained(not the right word but I cannot think of the correct one) notes without a problem.

I also think with the right effect (reverb, delay, whatever) the vocals would sit inside the music a little better. But this might not be what you are worried about now.

You sound pretty good for being away from it for awhile.

I feel like I have to comment, as I just bumped my own Kamelot cover :P I actually really like the sound of your low register and the lower part of your higher register, even though some notes were a bit out of range I don't think they're that far out of reach. But that's normal for this band. I have a huge love/hate (mostly love) relationship with them as so many of their songs are a bitch to sing no matter your voice type. Your vibratto sounds very good, too. As MDEW said, a little more reverb would help to make the vocals blend to the track a bit and help with the overall feel.

Generally I think it sounds really good, and I think you have the notes within your range. You just need to work on getting some more compression going on the top notes. Karevik, like Kahn, have sort of a light an smooth voice, and I think you're well on your way in the same direction.

Would it be possible for you to add a bit more twang on the top notes to get some more compression?

And one small thing - you sometimes rush the tempo a bit (I thought about it most in the first verse), you could try to "lean backwards" a bit more tempowise and I think you'd be spot on.

Well here's a problem I definitely recognise. You sound good in your chest, but then comes that nasty leap from Eb4 to Bb4 in the chorus just around where I would say your bridge is (also mine). If you don't sound connected at F4 then no way in hell you're gonna pull that off. Something is constricting you from bridging IMO.