Open Arms

• TMV World Legacy Member

Here's my version of Open Arms, which I used to work on lighter mass singing that Daniel has been talking about. I'm feeling much more comfortable after 6 months of practicing this technique.

I added the new "bridge section / 3rd chorus" that Journey created on the 2013 tour. This gave me the opportunity to rework the last chorus and belt out some higher notes.

Any and all feedback / suggestions are welcome!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12533215

Damn, that was amazing all around. I love the guitar and drum fills at 3:16. Shades of Petrucci and Portnoy there.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

Damn, that was amazing all around. I love the guitar and drum fills at 3:16. Shades of Petrucci and Portnoy there.

Thanks Validar. Glad you liked the guitar and drums. I used to be a huge DT freak and when I arrange songs I'm always thinking "now how would DT approach this song?". Of course those guys are on a totally different level than me but it's fun to try.

Martin - Thanks for the comments. Yeah, curbing is my normal mode. I try to emulate Perry, but I get fatigued very quickly when trying to match some of his vowels. It's like the impedance is wrong. So I resigned to do what feels comfortable to me.

I had a couple questions. I tried to start out the verses in Neutral "Lying beside you..." very light mass. Does that sound like Neutral in the verses? Also, at 3:29 "Stay". It feels very bright and metallic and powerful. Can you tell me what mode that is? It feels like curbing, but it isn't really a curbing vowel?

Geno,

Your start is definitely Neutral. Great job. If you want more of a Perry sound, just give it a bit more air. The "stay" is definitely in curbing on the IH vowel. Remember that in that range, vowels start to merge. :) You have a great voice Geno. :)

Awesome. You definitely sound different than Perry but once the listener gets past that and accepts it's Geno singing, they will hear a flawless, top quality performance with its own unique tonal color.

Awesome. You definitely sound different than Perry but once the listener gets past that and accepts it's Geno singing, they will hear a flawless, top quality performance with its own unique tonal color.

Amen.

Martin - Thanks for the explanation. I thought the "Stay" was the "eh" vowel, but like you said, it's the "ih" vowel (or a derivative of it) which is curbing.

Owen - Thank you. No matter how much I try to emulate Perry, it ends up sounding like me!

berniemcpeak - The link works as well as it can for Soundclick. There are some issues with Soundclick though which is frustrating. I find if you're using a mobile device it doesn't always work. Also, I was in Italy once, and my friend tried to pull up Soundclick on her PC and it crashed her system! You could try googling "Soundclick Geno Plitt" and then navigating to my list of songs. This song will be at the very end of the list.

Opaa: Thank you for the nice comments! I'm glad you like it.

• Administrator

EXCELLENT, Geno !!!

You really need to produce some videos and upload them to the "Social Media Site" of TMV World !

It would certainly be a pleasure to Feature/Spotlight you :cool:

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

Foreinger - Thank you for the nice comments!

Adolph - Thanks a lot. Yeah, someday I will start producing videos.

Gneetapp - Thank you!

:D:cool:

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

excellent.

Reminds me quite a lot of Robert Lunte's singing.

Good recording also, well done.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

This was very good, Geno, as usual. To be a little nitpicky, i think the belted notes in the end, especially "to-night" around 3:20 could sound better whether or not it is a mixing thing or a voice thing i think you know best yourself.

George - Thank you, and an interesting comment about Lunte's singing that I never heard before.

Olem - Thanks for your comments. I was wondering if anyone objected to those belted notes. I kind of threw in at the last moment, so I didn't work on them too much. I just thought a 3rd chorus needed a significant change. I didn't back away from the mic and these high notes felt very powerful and bright, so they are a little overpowering. I used to play around with volume envelopes to correct that, but lately, if it doesn't sound right I just sing it over again, and I let the compressors do their job. Aside from that, I liked the way they came out, and they felt right. They didn't feel strained.

• 2 weeks later...

Great man. The last chorus is much, much better then 1st nad 2nd, more staccato and opened sound.

Great singing over all.

cheers

My singing -----> http://soundcloud.com/richardstomach

• 1 month later...

Geno what a voice!!

And your range is amazing.

Are you singing all the high notes in full voice? (Chest)

Only asking because I've sung for years but I've always had a limited range.