Whole lotta love

• TMV World Legacy Member

Me and my new band were practising Whole lotta love by Led Zeppelin a few days ago and made a video recording of it. We had never played it together before and therefore we make a few mistakes, but I hope you guys can look past them and tell me what you think of the vocals. It's live and unedited so I can hear that it's not perfect, f.ex. slightly pitchy in a few spots but mostly I think it's at least in tune and sung with a fair bit of power. What I'm mostly interested to hear is if you guys like the tone of my voice. I'm not trying to sound like Robert Plant - just myself, or the screaming rocker version of myself. I don't know if that's a sound that anyone will find appealing so that's why I'm posting it here. We plan to practise this song enough times to get it right as a band, with all the changes very tight and then take it "on the road", but I wonder if the majority of people will think that this is just a straight out blasphemy towards Led Zeppelin or if it's something enjoyable, because it's been such a short period of time that I've been able to sing songs like this. Here it is (gulp):

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23687033/Whole_Lotta_Love.mpg

Edited: The same link on youtube:

Thanks guys. In case anyone is interested, that song hovers around the infamous B4 note and the highest note is the last scream at E5. It's a great vocal workout, actually.

Sounded very similair to Robert Plant, you and your band did a great job and you will have a great response from the audience when you pull this off on stage. Cheers!

Good rendition. It seems that the whole thing really gets in the groove in the jazzy bridge. And the drummer has a solid feel. I definitely think you should add this to your set. Jon, you've got the vocal chops to do this. And I was pleasantly surprised. In some of your earlier submissions, I thought you were singing a bit soft or at diminished volume. This song requires a voluminous tone to cut through the throbbing bass chunky, staccato guitar and you did it.

ok...had to let it load up for 5 minutes first! Great job for all of you! Talented trio. ...it's great now...like I said before...it will be kickass when you've polished it a bit more. :cool:

Keep working it..

Jon, I can't open the file? May be you can upload it to youtube if you have a channel? or you can use boxnet as well?

really eager to listen/see it! :D

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

man...really awesome!! loved it!!! I really don't have any suggestion on how you can improve it! man i love that slight rasp you have. thumbs up!

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

• 1 month later...
  • TMV World Member

Hey, man.... well done. Here are a few comments.

First, the intensity level you are using is well-suited to the piece. You are out there vocally, and the thrust of the phrases comes across very well. I think you have connected with the kind of vocalism that this piece demands, and the intensity of the expression.

Second, It took you several phrases to get into your most accurate and sustainable vocalism. See if you can get there from the very beginning. It will make the whole song less draining.

Third, IMO you need to be looking at the audience, and not at your left hand on the fretboard while you are delivering. Either rehearse it to the point that you can do it solidly by feel, or sample the guitar opening into a loop, and then sing along with it.

This was a kick to see you in action. Great job.

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

Overall, it's great.

Seeing your eyes a bit more when you're singing would be better. But if it was your first time playing this song, then you are forgiven.

Why aren't days 32 hours long ? <_<

Thanks for those comments, Steven. I really appreaciate it. They are very helpful. I know it takes me a few lines to get into the proper voice for this song, but it's just when I hear that riff, man, I get so fired up ;) I'm gonna work on my eyes as well and not only my voice! ;) Since I play the guitar while I sing, it's a bit hard for me to make interesting stage moves so it's harder to be a good frontman, in some ways. What do you guys think about that? Thanks all, for your comments! They're very helpful.

Actually, jonpall, like you, I am used to singing and playing a guitar simultaneously. I, too, would have to work more on visuals with an audience if I was not holding onto a guitar.

• 1 month later...