• Administrator
There seems to be a lot of "How to sing like..." videos these days. Is the pursuit of "how to sing like" someone else really the main goal you should be focused on in your singing?  Every voice is unique and every voice has the ability to demonstrate its unique areas of power, tone, range and embellishments. To be inspired by other singers is inevitable and to learn from other singers is a worthy endeavor, up to a point. But if you are going to become a legitimate vocal artist, you have to present YOUR voice to the audience, not trying to sing like someone else. As a voice coach, I am interested in helping you to learn about training techniques, to enable you to find your voice and grow as an singing artist.

Having made that point, here is a song I wrote years ago that has been played in many different ways through the years. A lot of people have enjoyed this song through the years. If it is new to you, I hope you enjoy it as well. It is one of those tunes that just comes together in about 5 minutes that song writers experience from time to time... Some songs just "flow" out... others have to be "built" and take more work. 

The less "romantic" explanation is... this is the result of new audio mastering skills for video production. I remastered the audio on this and then rendered a new, "fresh" file... repurposing old, but good content... Enjoy! 

"Blue Rain" - Robert Lunte

• Administrator

"A lot of people have enjoyed this song through the years. If it is new to you, I hope you enjoy it as well."

I'm one of those people who have enjoyed "Blue Rain" as you know....

AWESOME !!!!!!

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• TMV World Legacy Member

That song has a really natural flow to the melody and a nice progression. You sang it really well too. I agree, ultimately we have to sing with our own voices. We might as well sing with our own personalities. Whoever it is we admire already exists or at least existed, in the case of people like myself who tend to admire older music.

Wanting to duplicate other people is less valuable than wanting to offer something unique to the table. Nice job on the remaster as well. Professional radio musicians have remasters of music all of the time (sometimes in excess), but I think it is even more important for those of us who weren't working with million dollar studio contracts to try to keep our content as timeless as possible.

Keep training Rob and I hope you find a good balance of working on your program and students with channeling the inner artist and singing. Sing in the shower, in the car, take time to sing just for you. That's really important too, no matter how much you train others.

• Administrator

Keep training Rob and I hope you find a good balance of working on your program and students with channeling the inner artist and singing.

Yep, thats the growing trend... thanks for your support... more to come... 

I like this as much or more as the first time I heard it. And I think I appreciate it better now. First off, of course, the singing is totally on point and everything done means something and is not just a stunt.

Second, it really is a good song, by most any definition that I care about for what a song should mean and be. That's another and separate talent. There are a number of singers who get their songs from other songwriters and that is okay. Maybe I am a fuddy-duddy but I like singers that can write their own stuff.

And while, functionally, one would think a singer sounds best on his own stuff, it still requires the ability to sing. Otherwise, a person could wind up like a famous songwriter I could name who's songs became bigger hits as covers by others than his own versions ever did.

Granted, per the video, you had a pro mixing it on an analog board. But, by the time you are professionally recording something like you did, that is probably the way to go. Not that we all need to be mixed on a 24-track analog but it can't hurt, when you have that option.

And this song is the "sleeper." It is as good as other songs you have written and maybe a lot of people did not know about it like they did "Souls of Silence," which inspired a few fellow forum members to cover a song that you, Robert, wrote. How awesome is that? No one has asked to cover the few originals I have shared here. 

So, hats off to you and bravo.

What a beautiful song this is. Wow. 

I liked how you interpreted it Rob, all the little nuances of your voice are strong selling points for me.

Cheers

Than

• Administrator

Thanks Than, more to come... in my "How To Sing Like Robert Lunte, Singing Like Robert Lunte" Series... its a whole new concept... Actually "how to sing like you"... imagine not singing like someone else. Who would of thought of it...?   ;)

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. song Robert! I think I heard it before on a different thread, and still like it a lot. Very powerful timbre and lots of nuances changing with the dynamics. Really well built song too. As a humble fellow songwriter and musician, may I ask if you thought about doing some harmonies during the chorus or "pre-chorus"(e.g.. 2:30 "walking down memory lane"...). I played the video a few times and I swear I could hear in my head a higher harmony (like high metal screaming) in these parts, and it sounded (in my head) great. I was just wondering... Anyways, keep them coming!

• Administrator

Hey thank Gneetapp!

No doubt, ... I agree, there could be some harmonies in there... I hear them too. But this is kind of an old tune that in some sense, just needs to rest and be left alone as it is... I have about 6 newer and new ones coming out with video in the coming weeks. In fact Im going to the studio today to do some mixing.  Thanks Again.

Cool original man, keep up the good work.  Would like to hear an intense belty song from you as well.  I really liked your "Child in Time" cover.  

Yea i was about to say that this song is amazing, but i was always expecting that one time he will sing "in my blue RAIN", that rain high xD

Nevertheless i really like this song. Gets stuck in my ear for days :P 

Thanks Elvis... one lesson to pay attention to here is... the simple songs often are the ones that stick with people the most. K.I.S.S.

I couldnt agree more. Thats why proggresive music is an acquired taste, because its "hard" unlike some simpler songs that do indeed appeal to the massess. But Robert your lyrics are awesome. Blue Rain is truly an original.