The "Child In Time" Challenge by Deep Purple

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMV World Legacy Member

^That's the isolated vocal track from the original. Very cool to study. Great to hear such well intonated runs. These runs make the verses in my opinion.

The screams are very powerful but sound very disconnected from the verses (a real reinforced falsetto sound).

Ok, here is my attempt, just the first progression, I dont see how anyone could listen through this crappy execution of the solo, so I didnt even bother. I will give it a shot with the karaoke version Rob found.

https://www.box.com/s/df673d1ec4a60b5875ef

I think its sounding nice to my ears, what you guys think?

Edit: listenning again, all the compression and lack of dynamics of this BT almost kill the song :(, its the best I could do with it, sry.

I'm not going to make a comment on the technique. You were both very very good.

I had never heard the song before listening to the two of you and I didn't understand the need for the screaming.

I listed to Deep Purple today. I realize you are working on technique with this song. The pitch and intensity

are spot on. The song is about being pissed off and scared and trying to get people to open their minds to whats going on. Thats what all the screaming is about. How can you see these terrible things happening and not scream your head off at the world. With Deep Purple I felt that.

Think of some of the bad crap going on in the world. Get a little worked up about it. And THEN record this song. The Technique and the notes are there. Let the emotion come through. The technique will take care of itself at this point.

As I said you were both great the way it is. But do this and the song will be *&^% AWESOME!

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I'm not going to make a comment on the technique. You were both very very good.

I had never heard the song before listening to the two of you and I didn't understand the need for the screaming.

I listed to Deep Purple today. I realize you are working on technique with this song. The pitch and intensity

are spot on. The song is about being pissed off and scared and trying to get people to open their minds to whats going on. Thats what all the screaming is about. How can you see these terrible things happening and not scream your head off at the world. With Deep Purple I felt that.

Think of some of the bad crap going on in the world. Get a little worked up about it. And THEN record this song. The Technique and the notes are there. Let the emotion come through. The technique will take care of itself at this point.

As I said you were both great the way it is. But do this and the song will be *&^% AWESOME!

See how subjective this is. I actually thought that Felipe's ooos and Ahhs were full of pain and emotion. I heard a little cry in there. I'm talking about crying as in really crying...not technique. I felt that.

Yes it is subjective. the screams are not really what I was refering to. The verses seemed more sing song than angst. And I absolutely can be wrong.

I do not mean to take anything away from the GREAT job they both did. The only reason I mention anything I had never heard the song before and I thought OK so whats the reason for the screaming? Then I listened to deep purple and I got it.

I just felt that they were thinking technique more than message.

I do really think they were both AWESOME.

lol Tnx for the words guys!

Ronws, Ill listen to your version today and let you know man, been kinda short in time lately.

Keith, tnx man. Its no big deal really, you will see that after you settle the middle of your voice, you will probably be able to go even higher, if its something desirable or not, its another question entirely.

Mdew and Tommy, tnx for the detailed listenning guys... Now, Mdew, I do tried to feel it man, actually I listenned to the original recording something like 40 times paying attention and trying to understand it before singing, exactly because its such a deep song... But, do keep in mind that its Deep Purple and Ian Gillian on the original, the guy standing on the stage and looking at the audience shows more musicianship than Ill ever have. I can honestly say, that technique was not a concern to record this, at all, but its quite possible that its musically superior to what I can do, maybe I just dont understand it completely and missed something crucial there.

Still, I am satisfied with the results, and you saying that its sounding great is already great for me, I was hopping that it would connect, as Tommy said it did for him, makes me really happy that it does. I do appreciate that you let me know man, and I will try to figure out what could be done better. Truth is, right now, I have no clue \o/, so I will have to learn something first, maybe listenning to more Deep Purple stuff, how bad can that be? :P

Tommy, tnx man, really glad it got to you :). Not a trivial song to perform, not at all...

Tnx again everyone, rock n roll guys!

I watched a live version and it may be just because I could watch him while he was singing that made me feel it more. What I was meaning is the practicing is over now it's time to sing for an audience. It will be great!

Good job Ron and Felipe, both good covers that sound totally different. I think that this is a really difficult song to sing because the screams in the original and especially on the made in japan recording are hair raising. they sound inhuman and you either have that ability or you don't, nobody so far has come close to nailing the emotion of the original in that part of the song.

I definitely want to give this a try but there's no way I'm hitting those top notes, still it's good fun hearing different people sing the same thing, listening to how they approach it and the decisions they make so i'll give it a go.

Keith I think you would make the verse sound lovely, i hope you'll do a version.

Max

Great clear singing in the beginning...those A5's are awesome man

Cant get my voice quite that high yet, so i'm always in awe of someone who can......very nice job :)

www.soundclick.com/chavie

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hi Guys... I worked on a new Live take of 'Child In Time' today... hope you like it.

It features some pretty damn good whistle screams,...

Let me know what you think...

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/ebf8ef7460f93ccbeca8

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

• Administrator

I chopped on a new live version of "CHILD IN TIME"... THIS IS VERSION 3.

I THINK YOU WILL LIKE THE WHISTLE SCREAMS HERE.

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/ebf8ef7460f93ccbeca8

THOUGHT I Would step up and share.

Let me know if you have any questions about techniques related to singing this tune.

Hope this helps...

• Administrator

Robert,

That is totally AWESOME !!!

IMO, you made it your OWN !!!

I think you should do a video as well..... Just my personal thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you think you could send me the backing track ? I'd really appreciate it ! I've been working on some old tunes lately ~ Late sixties to early seventies. "Child in Time" has always been one of my favorite songs and I'd like to give it a shot.....

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Owen hit the nail on the head with the formant tuning thingy.

I absolutely love that raspy tone you produced, Robert.

I'm hoping more people will put up their versions, with their own artistic interpretation, like Robert did. Yes, Robert is a great singer and that can be intimidating. So, quit being intimidated. There is no judgement here, as far as I am concerned. Others that are expecting you to sound just like Ian Gillan just don't "get it" and that's okay, too.

I want to hear some more chidren in time.

Great job, Robert.

Ye sir! That is the kind of thing you would expect from someone who teaches others how to do it. :D