Felipe Carvalho - Outshined (Soundgarden Cover)

Rate this topic

Totally freakin awesome.

When I saw the title and your name and knowing the songs you have done in the past, I have to be honest, I thought you would murder it because I did not think you could bring the tone for this song.

I am glad to be proven wrong.

Not only did you sing this well and as good as the original, but the mix is star quality. You had mentioned before about producing and recording others and I thought, okay, anyone could say that. But this is an excellent production. I can hear your voice in the backing and harmony vocals. Not only are they done well, but mixed well. Most amateurs mix backing and harmony too prevalent and it competes with and distracts from the lead line.

This should be an example to others of how to sing rock, record it, and mix it.

Bravo, Maestro.

@ronws hahaha to be honest I didnt think so either! Took me a while to figure something that worked. Thanks for the words on the mix, I did work this one quite a bit more on that regard :)

@killer and bono Thank you guys! :)

@aravindmadis Thank you my fried. I will try to put something together when I have the time, I will let you know!

Big Soundgarden fan here... This was sweet, I want a headbanging emoticon for crying out loud! 

You were able to add that bit of that grit which is just killer, and makes me super jealous :)

The vocals were top notch, mix was stomping, great job!

m/

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just wow!

I assume you've listened to this song a thousand times casually, and probably sung along with it.  But once you decided to record it, how many hours did you spend working with it to be able to sing it?   Not considering actual recording or mixing time, just getting up to speed to sing it.   Is it a matter of 15 minutes, or 2 hours, or 10 hours?   And do you use sheet music, or is it purely a by-ear thing?

I'm a beginning singer, with all sorts of deficiencies, and lately have been working on songs with a local teacher, and I find it's easy to spend quite a lot of time on one phrase getting it right.   In my case 'right' means more or less on pitch.   I have this probably mistaken idea that 'real' singers can pick something up with at least most of the nuances right away, i.e. within a few sing alongs.   

For my guitar playing, I'm used to spending a lot of time to get something down well, and wondering if the singing process is similar, or if it's 'easy' once someone is at your level.

Thanks,

Greg

No specific time and even being accomplished, you may find some challenges. In the video below, if you don't want to wait, forward to about 4:25. Ronnie James Dio cracks on a note on a song that he wrote the line for. Happens to the best of us.

@Grunge Hey man, thank you a lot!!!

@Alberto haha money is always welcome! No CD on the plans I am afraid haha :). Thank you for your words!

@carp oh man. I think it took around 3 hours to get my head around the melody lines, timings and etc. I also had to redo it because I found that I messed up the melody on the verses. I did listen to it a lot before singing it. In my opinion the problem in this song is the energy level that needs to be very high to pass the feel I think it needs. Thanks for your words! Edit: by ear.

About this idea of getting stuff right away, yes and no. :) Control of course becomes the same for everything, but, depending on the style and song, you will have a learning process to it. If I decided to sing Samba for example, I would have to study a lot to do the songs justice. That would probably take some months. As you get used to a style, you start to get the idea much quicker, like learning licks and riffs on the guitar.