Dream on - Aerosmith. High notes inside!

• TMV World Legacy Member

One of my favorite Aerosmith songs of all time. Hope you like it!

I had to upload it to Youtube because soundcloud blocked it due to a copyright infringement :( Which is annoying because the Soundcloud version didn't have that annoying buzzing sound.

Anything you think could be improved, please comment on it!

:) Souded good to me. I didin't hear anything that I could comment on to make things better.

I like it. :D

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I think it sounds like you are over singing the verses. You obviously kick ass in the high register, but sound like you are slamming consonants. Over all great job, but a little dark/covered. .

Cheers,

David.

Highs notes 9,5/10

Verses 8/10

Chorus 5/10

I agree completely. The chorus is really high for me to sing. I need to work more on that. The high notes are much easier to sing than the high chest voice notes in the chorus!

I agree completely. The chorus is really high for me to sing. I need to work more on that. The high notes are much easier to sing than the high chest voice notes in the chorus!

I think the chorus is giving you more trouble because you are singing it darker and more chesty than the song actually is. I actually like that style a little more but if you wanted to make it headier it would sound closer to the original and be easier to pull off.

I liked it, Old. I don't think the choruses sounded strained. Make those pitches however you can and you did so with power and focus. As for how you phrased the verses, I think it is valid to put your own emotion into it and that's what makes it a cover and not just you trying to sound like someone else.

I agree the consonants sound a little heavy. But I have also noticed that for people who do not speak (american) English as a first language, their consonants are heavy, such as in their native language. As opposed to us lazy americans.

:D

You are a good singer, and that is the highest compliment I can think of.

3 things:

1. Relax a little bit more, have fun and care a bit less about singing it perfect. You might even want to improvise in places.

2. Make sure you take a relaxed breath between phrases.

3. Practise better english pronounciation. It's not bad but it could be better.

On the positive side ... well, you kind of surprised me. I really like Aerosmith and you sang a very tough song pretty well, dude! Hell yeah! The notes I'm giving above are just my opinions on how to take your voice to the next level if we want to be nitpicky. I don't think the chorus was bad. It had just a liiiiiiiitle bit of strain - not as much as you seem to think. Your tone is great man. Very good for Aerosmith songs. You also nailed the highest part well, which very few people can do. Cheers.

3 things:

1. Relax a little bit more, have fun and care a bit less about singing it perfect. You might even want to improvise in places.

2. Make sure you take a relaxed breath between phrases.

3. Practise better english pronounciation. It's not bad but it could be better.

1. I find it pretty hard to do while trying to maintain the correct distance from the mic :P But I can definitely try!

2. That's easy for the verses, not so much for the chorus. It's slightly out of my comfortable range, so I end up straining a bit and having to take quick breaths. But I'll keep it in mind next time, maybe I can try and relax a bit more.

3. That's a constant work in progress :lol:

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the advice :)

Nice work!

My only concern is that I hear some constriction and "chest pulling" in the choruses. To avoid this personally, I try to 'lean' but not 'push' while using more of a head voice configuration. The hard glottal onsets and the scooping kind of suggest that you might be pushing some. This might just be your style, but I noticed it because Steven Tyler never does it.

Constriction is going to happen at certain points with rock singing and it's best to avoid it as much as possible. When it does happen, and it will, you don't want to push it. It'll wear you down. If you can learn to use a thick column of air you can play your voice more like a flute and less like a clarinet. Head voice, really. Steven Tyler does this throughout the original recording, even during the chorus. Moderate volume, very legato phrases, some extra air. It gives lots of wiggle room. Steven Tyler doesn't need to punch or scoop to touch any of these notes. Not even the Ab5!

You may have heard something like this somewhere already, but practice focusing the sound of the head voice into something resembling chest voice. Use your resonance pockets and maybe think of riding on top of it like a wave. Some people call on here it twang. The right airflow will turn the lightest vocal fold engagement into something that will blow doors down, not just in the highest parts of the voice, but throughout the passaggio and mid range as well.

Very cool man.

Hard song, the tricky spot is the chorus, I think you could use a bit more of attention to dynamics in there, its comming a bit "linear" so to say. The rest is working very well :).

Just a note, on a few spots, where you go near the passagio, I have the impression you are kinda walking on thin ice in there, almost braking, some attention to this in trainning will do wonders.