Felipe Carvalho - Faithfully (Study)

Been working on this song for a while for now. Almost done. I figure its already working to sing live, and since all that talk about tessitura and stuff is going on, here it goes.

:)

When its complete I will send the final version, hopefully with a better video capture quality.

Tnx for watching in advance ;). If possible drop a few lines!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey good tone man! Seems like you have that part down here. Only critique it seems that you lost control of the vibrato at some parts a little. Maybe you hold back a bit too much? Good job though.

^^^

I just entered this [

into the url bar

Sounds pretty good.( OK 50,000 times better that I could hope to do at the moment)

I always thought that there was too much reverb used in that song. Your voice needs to come up just a tad in the mix. Just an opinion.

It's the critique section. I gotta find something. :)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I may have to put my ears on Craigslist apparently they aren't doing me any good anymore. So far I am shocked by the responses. After listening to that several times I am surprised by any comment other than outstanding or excellent. I have listened several times and even looking for something I can't find anything to even nitpick about.

I dare to say flawless. But hey, that's just me. If I were walking passed a bar or a hall of some sort and heard that, my first reaction would be ..."wow" who the hell is that...I have to go see."

But we are all different with different tastes and different ears and different abilities. So maybe it's me....I may be missing something. I am impressed by how relaxed you seem throughout. No tension anywhere. A great example and I thought it was beautiful.

Felipe. "OUTSTANDING!!" Personally I found nothing wrong.

Awesome. The C#5's are insanely good. The D#5 (I think) somewhere around the end sounds a little too compressed but still really good.

The word "faithfully" sounds a little too theatry with the darkening. Would sound better to my ears with a little softer and smaller tone.

Of course that's really picky because there just isn't much to criticise. Pure awesome as a whole!

I'm with Tommy. But then, again, is this a matter of getting some of one's own medicine?

Oh, snap! I said that in my outside voice.

Picky this, picky that. This vowel too "wide," that vowel too "narrow," too "compressed," not compressed enough, on and on and on ....

Felipe, I give you the kiss of death, on each cheek .... Good Job.

Then, again, I am a bad man, I've done bad things.

I listened for pitch and usable volume in whatever part of the song. And it was all there. Pitch was great. Volume matched the intent of the performance, as far as I could tell. The accent was barely noticable and what bits of the accent I could hear merely added spice and did not detract from my enjoyment.

A good performance of a good song.

So, let that be another exposition of how I look at reviewing. And yes, I am commandeering this thread, just for a moment, to talk about critique. Felipe has never given me a full pass on anything. Ever. And has ripped me a new one on a few.

But thanks to my advanced age which gives me some maturity, I can separate myself from the need to be an authority, hurt feelings, differences in perspectives, and still judge a performance based on its own merits, whether I get along with the person every day, or not.

It's not opera, it's a pop song. I am reminded of when Lunte posted a cover of "Child in Time." And a few picked nits with his performance. And rather than get defensive, he said, well, anyone is welcome to post their own version. And I liked his version and was inspired by it and put up my own. And I would invite others here, if it's alright with Felipe, to do their own cover of "Faithfully." Step up to the plate and swing for the fences.

Now, if Felipe had a bad pitch in there, I would have pointed that out. Just as a technical consideration.

And this would sell. Yes, Felipe, I would say, put this in your live set, if you are going to put a show together.

Sounds pretty good.( OK 50,000 times better that I could hope to do at the moment)

I always thought that there was too much reverb used in that song. Your voice needs to come up just a tad in the mix. Just an opinion.

It's the critique section. I gotta find something. :)

I suppose I need to clarify a little. the ( OK 50,000 times better that I could hope to do at the moment)

Was my way of saying Fantastic job Felipe. My twist of irony was not understood.

Technique wise there was nothing that needed to be said. He stepped up to the plate and hit a home run.

He walked the walk.

I truely always thought that there was too much use of reverb in that song. The original Version by Journey. When other people reproduce the song they do it usually like Journey.

I truely thought Felipes' voice could have used a bit more volume in the mix. That has nothing to do with the fantastic control that Felipe showed in this rendition.

I truely thought we were trying to get away from blatant patting on the back without some direction on improovement. MY BAD.

Fantastic Voice and control Felipe. That was AWESOME. (could have used a bit more volume on your voice. Not totally lost in the mix but the instruments were overpowering you a litte. especially at the end)

I was not slamming on you, MDEW.

My post was for everyone, myself, Felipe, everyone. When critiquing, separate the truly technical from what is aesthetic in one's own mind. And if I don't like or care for a particular genre, I may not comment at all, good or bad. To say that I didn't like something just because I did not like the song style does a disservice to the singer posting the song.

I don't like screamo, So, what if someone posts a screamo song and does well with it, in that style. And then I say, "I didn't like it. You did not sing it like Robert Plant or Luciano Pavarotti" or some other such nonsense. Have I helped the guy simply by saying that I didn't like it? No.

It may be my own opinion. Aesthetics aside. Someone may be wondering why things in their performance may sound a little off to them. Why is something not working when they listen back to their recording. They may think that it is their delivery or their use of formant tracking when in fact it just may be a little too much or too little reverb or the voice may not be balanced with the instuments.

This in my mind is a Technical aspect to singing presentation. An opinion also, yes.

Good singing Felipe! That's a very tough song and you did a good job. You're obviously very musical. If you want any ideas for improvement from me, it would be to improve your english accent a bit and also to sing with ever so slightly more power. Not much, just a little. I could be incorrect, but that was my first impression. Cheers!

Wow! Hey thanks everyone for listenning and specially for the words!

@Lord and Keith, thank you guys, I will keep it in mind!

@mdew haha its just a matter of studying man, two years ago, I would ruin the song on the first verse. About the reverb, hard call, its 80s stuff... About the volume, my brother said the same, specifically on the second bridge, I will see what can be done. :)

@Tommy I trust your ears my friend. So really thank you. :)

@benny82 Tnx man! You are absolutely correct on the "Faithfully", requires an ajustment of the intention there.

@ronws Thanks man! hahaha you mean something like a review karma? I dont really think that I did harm to anyone, nor that I would be harmed by someone pointed me something they've heard.

I really value this kind of interaction man. If I am able to sing this song with quality today, it was because of one of these, on another time and another place. A lot of trainning of course, but it started from a very honest pointer I received. And hell, I cant express how thankfull I am for that today.

@jon Thank you man. Do you have any specific pointers on the english? Which spots are the more apparent? Or is it like the whole thing ahahah?

@everyone really thanks! Dont worry about this review thing or whatever, thanks for viewing and for your words!

Actually, the more I get to know you, Felipe, and the more I get to see a video of you explaining things, the more I understand that most of the misconceptions I and others might have of you comes from a difference in language and expression.

Let me explain that a little. I once worked with a guy who grew up in the Ukraine, though he was born in Germany. Anyway, he spoke ukrainian, which is a dialect of russian. More importantly, he spoke english with a ukrainian sense of emotion.

A new boss came in and he thought my co-worker, Alex, was off the hinge. But since I was familiar with different languages and means of expression, I told him, "No, Alex is fine. He's been having a good day. He just has a way of expressing things that others are not sure of. Trust me, he's fine."

I think of him when I think of you. You really do mean well when you critique and you are giving the best that you know how to give, whether others understand how you phrase in English, or not.

For example, when you say get a coach, you really do mean that a live person can help a student better than we can through posted sound files that have been subject to whatever recording processes, as well as the data compression and loss format of mp3.

Recently, I have been able to equate your balance of emissions and adjustments to mean, to me, what it takes to follow the resonance. Keep your eye on the ball, to borrow from baseball. But it was not apparent to me until listening to your videos. A sung note spoke a thousand words.

Also, listening to your speaking voice, it is not nearly as low as I expected it to be.

Then, again, perception is a funny thing, isn't it?

As for the video, it was enjoyable, and it's okay, once in a while, to just enjoy a performance and not find anything wrong and not strive to find anything wrong, either. Well, it was enjoyable except for one thing. You are still offensively handsome and guys like me just don't have a chance. Good thing I have a pretty voice. :lol:

Bravo, Felipe.

ronws maybe, but more in the sense of how I may "sound" on what I write hahaha. About the coach thing, there is a lot of reasons. The most important ones are attention to details, a trainned perception and the interaction.

About emission, got my hands full with something these days :), but as soon as I upload the next video on recording I will send an explanation on the basics thread. Its quite straightforward. But as always understanding is not the same as learning the practical side...

Consuming, tnx man! Not a really a baritone, just a heavy voice. But yeah its very different from Steve Perry. Some parts that he uses chest I had to use head right away for example, took me a while to map it all down for my voice :).

Owen, I'm not sure sure about sharpness. On the collab of my brother and I with "Heaven on their Minds," I am a smidge sharp at the end. And it bugs me every time I hear it. So, I keep it as a lesson to myself.

I didn't hear flatness in Felipe's take but then, again, I may have funky hearing. In fact, that explains a lot .... :lol:

Nice job Felipe. If I had to give any criticism and I know you like criticisms I would say drop some of the technique and listen to the lyric. You may find that feeling the lyric will set up a not so proper vowel but a sweeter truer more honest vowel if you know what I'm saying. It doesn't matter what accent you have I want to believe you and when you feel more for the lyric it sits nicer in the track. Other than that the technique was great!!!

PLEASE CONTACT DANIEL@YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER@GMAIL.COM
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica, https://www.youtube.com/user/danformica
Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME. They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

Owen man, I swear I still dont know what you are talking about! You mean it lacks ring or dynamics? The equipment is actually quite nice, I dont really appreciate suffering when not demonstrating something directly related to it :P.

Daniel thanks! hahaha. Let me see if I understand you, take for example the phrase, "Highway Run, Into the midnight sun". What would be the more honest and true vowel for "mid"?

Daniel thanks! hahaha. Let me see if I understand you, take for example the phrase, "Highway Run, Into the midnight sun". What would be the more honest and true vowel for "mid

I agree with Daniel the singing and technique is top notch! What would make this even better is being abit more vunerable, or pretending like you sang this to some specific person.

But this is really picking at details, i mean everything is spot on textbook example